Intel getting lazy? Intel to license AMD Radeon IP

It's not at all that they're getting lazy, it's that you basically have to licence patents from either AMD or Nvidia to have an iGPU at all.

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Reality = Intel officially acknowledging either the licensing deal or the usage of Radeon graphics. Anything else it's just your conjecture: it doesn't becomes true even if you try really fucking hard to ridicule me, in fact it makes your opinion seem foolish.

It's not at all out of the realm of possibility, and is very highly probable.
Intels Nvidia licencing deal ends in March 2017. They have to make a deal with either Nvidia or AMD, AMD likely took a lower offer, thus they went with them.

8 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Intel has been working towards increased iGPU performance and they realized they themselves suck at making graphics tech, hence why their plans for a dGPU failed in 2010.

Haha, no. That's not really the way it works. Nvidia and AMD hold numerous patents making it impossible to have an iGPU without a licencing deal with one of said companies.

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Didn't Intel also license IP from Nvidia as well back in Sandy Bridge days? 

Licensing IP does not mean stick *insert vendor here*''s GPU onto the chip and call it a day. More likely, certain implementations or components that are individually licensed and utilized in what is, overall, Intel's design. 

Correct. They have to.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, no. That's not really the way it works. Nvidia and AMD hold numerous patents making it impossible to have an iGPU without a licencing deal with one of said companies.

Well they did try to create their own dGPU with their own tech which apparently was a complete failure and failed to meet expectations. You are correct that using existing tech would require them to obtain licenses though.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

9 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Why is nobody reporting on this aside from the usual rumor-spreading websites?

Eh, original source was WCCFTech. They are very unreliable, so unless it's confirmed by multiple sources, it may very well not be true.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's not at all out of the realm of possibility, and is very highly probable.
Intels Nvidia licencing deal ends in March 2017. They have to make a deal with either Nvidia or AMD, AMD likely took a lower offer, thus they went with them.

There's a fundamental difference between being very likely (a new licencing deal is very likely) being very unlikely (it's very unlikely they'll use actual Radeon branding and tech on their chips) and affirming it as reality based on a stupid fucking rumor like the person I quoted did.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 hours ago, PCMR Ricos said:

I need to admit, they are smashing any amd cpu, they just need to improve the minimum legal value (5% year), unfortunately yes, they are lazy and amd will do it to pay their debt.

minimum legal value?

What minimum legal value?

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Intel may only be after one specific piece of intellectual property to augment in to their iGPUs.

I doubt it.

A Radeon GPU will never be used in an Intel CPU package since it just doesn't work like that

Of course it will be branded differently in order to calm the Intel fanboys and stop them from having a heart attack.

, so much customization would need to be done that it would no longer be an 'AMD Radeon GPU'

Sure. But they could also kind of skimp out on customizations. Personally I think they want to customize AMD's Polaris 11 Chips to integrate into a 45w Quad core Mobile design

. As @SLAYR already pointed out the 64bit architecture in Intel CPUs is licensed from AMD and that's not only technology they have licensed from them and others already.

Sure the linked story is extremely over hyped but regardless if any licensing deal between Intel and AMD is pending then that is very good news for AMD.

Yes but then AMD is losing their unique selling points for their APUs.

I would also not be surprised if part of the deal is that if Intel finds any ways to improve the licensed technology then AMD has the right to use it

Again, sure but I doubt that AMD would allow them to customize it without contributing back to the architecture.

, Intel's R&D budget and team is massive in comparison and these deals are never one sided but it could just be a revenue play by AMD to fund other things.

Like RX 490 or Fury X v2 ?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Eh, original source was WCCFTech. They are very unreliable, so unless it's confirmed by multiple sources, it may very well not be true.

That was my point :P

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Of course it will be branded differently in order to calm the Intel fanboys and stop them from having a heart attack.

No I mean it is literally impossible to stick an unmodified AMD GPU in to an Intel CPU package, that is simply not how it works. Intel will have to do some of their own engineering work to integrate it properly and get the fabrication process worked out. This isn't opinion or conjecture, this isn't Lego and it's not the same as dedicated GPUs using PCIe lanes but instead inside the CPU package.

Sure. But they could also kind of skimp out on customizations. Personally I think they want to customize AMD's Polaris 11 Chips to integrate into a 45w Quad core Mobile design

Most likely will be something like this, it has to be very low power to mind range power draw. I actually suspect the demand for this product configuration, technical specifications wise, is actually coming from Apple. They are reluctant do put dedicated GPUs in to even their higher end laptops but graphics performance is high on their list of requirements. Look back to when Intel Iris Pro was released, Apple had about 1+ years of full production brought out and dedicated to them.

Like RX 490 or Fury X v2 ?

RX 490 (if real) is far to close for any of this to effect it, it might have an impact on Vega but even that is unlikely. AMD won't see anything for another year so Vega refresh or Navi. I can see the funds more likely going in to the CPU side of the business and partnership deals like the next consoles and customization they need.

Who knows, maybe the next consoles will be Intel CPU and AMD GPU custom design at the request of Sony/Microsoft. If I make enough random guesses I might get close at some point xD.