Should I get this Motherboard?

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Tbf with $210 you can fit an i3-6100, get a z170 board off the open box rack and 8GBs of DDR4. Or a new z170 board and bundle with the i3 and RAM, BCLK the i3, on stock cooling 4.2-4.3GHz is do able. If you stretch your budget an i5-6400/6500 wont be much harder to pull of at $250

I know for sure I'll be getting 210-220$ for sure, but beyond that is beyond me. I might, I honestly don't know.

Just now, AceTaker said:

I know for sure I'll be getting 210-220$ for sure, but beyond that is beyond me. I might, I honestly don't know.

Also, I'm getting a new case, and power supply..... take that into consideration.

3 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

It can't, its AM3.... not AM3+, not FM2+.

ok just make sure that 8320 you're looking at has a cooler. I dont know anything about the quality of motherboard you are looking at.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

but the funny bit is a g4400 would actually be better than a x4 630 

this might be true. G4400 is about equal in benchmarks to my FX-8120 but its not the same in the real world use. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

ok just make sure that 8320 you're looking at has a cooler. I dont know anything about the quality of motherboard you are looking at.

this might be true. G4400 is about equal in benchmarks to my FX-8120 but its not the same in the real world use. 

It has a stock cooler. Motherboard has good reviews on Amazon so far, although looks quite a bit new.

get a uses 990FX board , the biggest I would slap on a 970 is a 6XXX , not an 8XXX

I need to cool my 970 board actively w/ a fan on the chipset to keep it from exploding

20161115_232020.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

get a uses 990FX board , the biggest I would slap on a 970 is a 6XXX , not an 8XXX

I need to cool my 970 board actively w/ a fan on the chipset to keep it from exploding

That's the north bridge you are cooling. I bet it will work even better on the VRMs, though I wouldn't know how to fit it :P 

Chipset is not the issue. I have a 9370 running on a 970 board (also with added small fan, but I do the same on a Sabertooth). You just need to pick a board with adequate VRMs, and adequate VRM cooling for the intended use. For example, SLI Krait is not for a 9590. Your board (Extreme3? Extreme4?) is not for 8-core overclocking, but will handle 6-cores and stock 8xxx (with a bit of help :P).

Having said that, I agree that a used, good 990FX board is a good idea (that's how I got my Sabertooth), it just takes time to look for it, decide if you are convinced about its condition, etc.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's the north bridge you are cooling. I bet it will work even better on the VRMs, though I wouldn't know how to fit it :P 

Chipset is not the issue. I have a 9370 running on a 970 board (also with added small fan, but I do the same on a Sabertooth). You just need to pick a board with adequate VRMs, and adequate VRM cooling for the intended use. For example, SLI Krait is not for a 9590. Your board (Extreme3? Extreme4?) is not for 8-core overclocking, but will handle 6-cores and stock 8xxx (with a bit of help :P).

Having said that, I agree that a used, good 990FX board is a good idea (that's how I got my Sabertooth), it just takes time to look for it, decide if you are convinced about its condition, etc.

I see a g1 gaming board that just barely can fit my price. Its 990FX.

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Chipset is not the issue

I burned my finger twice by touching the small heat sink that's on it , w/ that fan its barely  lukewarm

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

I burned my finger twice by touching the small heat sink that's on it , w/ that fan its barely  lukewarm

I meant that 970 vs 990 is not the issue. I believe you that the NB gets hot, but it's the VRMs that will get hotter or colder depending on the CPU you put in.

Should I get 990FX or 970, 8320e its a 95w chip, so its more power efficient then a normal fx chip..

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I meant that 970 vs 990 is not the issue. I believe you that the NB gets hot, but it's the VRMs that will get hotter or colder depending on the CPU you put in.

true , but it has a heatsink on that that gets some air blown over it by the cpu cooler so its not the issue , the NB was getting blazingly hot and causes crashes (stability improved drastically after I applied the fan )

quick side note , the NB is undervolted by 50mv to help w/ temps , this did not affect stability

22 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Your board (Extreme3? Extreme4?) is not for 8-core overclocking, but will handle 6-cores and stock 8xxx (with a bit of help :P).

its an Extreme 3 , and its a solid board , keeps my 6100 stable at 4.6ghz :P 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

The only difference between  the 970 and 990 is that the 990 has more pci-e bandwidth, except mainly for space ghost i cant believe how much missinformation there is in this thread..... Also with an MSI 970 gaming you would be fine with any fx 83xx cpu

Thanks, finally an actual answer!

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

The only difference between  the 970 and 990 is that the 990 has more pci-e bandwidth, except mainly for space ghost i cant believe how much missinformation there is in this thread..... Also with an MSI 970 gaming you would be fine with any fx 83xx cpu

I obviously agree with you on the chipset differences, but we have to admit that there is a correlation mainly due to a general tendency among manufacturers to make beefier boards with the 990FX chipset. Hence, while it's perfectly possible to make  Sabertooth with a 970 chipset, in practice there aren't that many models pairing stronger VRMs/better heatsinks everywhere with the 970 (but the Asus Aura or the ASRock Performance and it's cheaper lookalike do).

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I obviously agree with you on the chipset differences, but we have to admit that there is a correlation mainly due to a general tendency among manufacturers to make beefier boards with the 990FX chipset. Hence, while it's perfectly possible to make  Sabertooth with a 970 chipset, in practice there aren't that many models pairing stronger VRMs/better heatsinks everywhere with the 970 (but the Asus Aura or the ASRock Performance and it's cheaper lookalike do).

What motherboard would you recommend? (Link to microcenter?)

2 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

What motherboard would you recommend? (Link to microcenter?)

I don't know much about Microcenter, I'm not from the states. But the way I understood your question, this only makes sense because of the particular deal you found. Although, as you can tell from previous posts, I have used the AM3+ platform intensively, I find it hard to invest in it at this point. I would focus on whether the original deal is good enough or not, and if the answer is no, start from scratch with an open mind. Don't get captured in upgrading a $100 deal that doesn't convince you until you end up spending $200 on a different CPU and motherboard, at which point you can just consider any option, not necessarily linked to the original offer.

6 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Okay, i'm at home now, my phone crapped out on me so i couldn't reply anymore, that motherboard is safe, you can get it if you like it, it should have no issues with a small overclock of 4.4Ghz as well. I would suggest also getting a hyper 212 cooler as well, if you can fit it in the new case, or looking to see if there's a cheap FX 83XX that comes with a wraith cooler (for instance it being cheaper then the 8320e+ cooler master 212+ cooler), combined with a 470 videocard and that cpu overclocked at 4.2-4.4 Ghz you should not have any problem gaming at 1080p 60 FPS in most games.

That's exactly it, its not that the 990FX is a better overclocker then the 970FX its just that in the past manufactures only used quality and a decent amount of power phases for the 990FX boards, and rarely for the 970 ones, unlike today when probably to get rid of stocks they are finally pushing some decent quality 970FX boards with decent power phases.

Might come back later there's a lot i want to ad to this thread but i'm pressed for time... 

Btw, the Carbon PRO GAMING was at MSI during computex this year, so its new, I don't think they would showcase something that doesn't work well (Lol). Would a hyper T2 Work?

5 minutes ago, AceTaker said:

Btw, the Carbon PRO GAMING was at MSI during computex this year, so its new, I don't think they would showcase something that doesn't work well (Lol). Would a hyper T2 Work?

Nevermind, I won't OC.