CPU upgrade for Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15 0301FFG

So, the laptop in question is a 2009/2010 Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15, factory modification 0301FFG(it had other letters and numbers after that, but the sticker came off). It has an i3-370M, which is pure sh*t. It can't run Underground 2 smoothly.(Yes, the GPU is super weak, I know and that's why I want to change the CPU)

So what can I put in it?

-It's mobo is a socket 989 one. That means it can take Arrandale (first gen core ix-xxx mobile on 988A) and Sandy and Ivy(988B).

-But the chipset is HM55.

- will a Sandy or Ivy i5-xxxxM run on this? The BIOS won't support it, bla,bla,bla. Tell me how to add CPU microcodes and that's one less problem.

Has anyone tried this? I have threads in TomsHardware and CPU-World, no helpful comments so far.

It might be time to just get a whole new laptop honestly...other than that no input.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

It might be time to just get a whole new laptop honestly...other than that no input.

This one is gonna be changed next year.

I just want to do a little experiment and I am taking financial precautions (aka I don't want to spend money on a CPU that I can't use)

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Go for it and find out

I don't want to waste money.

dont do it!!!!! first do you even know if the cpu can be taken out??? 2nd laptops are built to handle what they have inside, putting a higher power cpu in a laptop can cause lots of heat or power issues if the laptop isnt built to specifically handle that cpu... 

Just now, Andrew Storlie said:

dont do it!!!!! first do you even know if the cpu can be taken out??? 2nd laptops are built to handle what they have inside, putting a higher power cpu in a laptop can cause lots of heat or power issues if the laptop isnt built to specifically handle that cpu... 

Yes, I have changed the thermal paste and it's a 989 socket, not a bga12-smth.

Sandy and Ivy are more power efficient. I don't know a dual core Sandy that has a TDP of more than 35W which the TDP of the 370M.

your best bet would be to put a i5-450M or i7-640M as they have same TDP as the i3-370M

15 minutes ago, number004130 said:

So, the laptop in question is a 2009/2010 Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15, factory modification 0301FFG(it had other letters and numbers after that, but the sticker came off). It has an i3-370M, which is pure sh*t. It can't run Underground 2 smoothly.(Yes, the GPU is super weak, I know and that's why I want to change the CPU)

So what can I put in it?

-It's mobo is a socket 989 one. That means it can take Arrandale (first gen core ix-xxx mobile on 988A) and Sandy and Ivy(988B).

-But the chipset is HM55.

- will a Sandy or Ivy i5-xxxxM run on this? The BIOS won't support it, bla,bla,bla. Tell me how to add CPU microcodes and that's one less problem.

Has anyone tried this? I have threads in TomsHardware and CPU-World, no helpful comments so far.

Im asuming you have a t510, correct me if im wrong. I

If thats true a i7 740qm should work fine and its a quad core, and is a stock option, so it should work fine. Here is one for 40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Intel-Core-i7-740QM-1-73GHz-Socket-G1-Processor-CPU-SLBQG-/182369909570?hash=item2a7617fb42:g:hcQAAOSwUuFWw0DB

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im asuming you have a t510, correct me if im wrong. I

If thats true a i7 740qm should work fine and its a quad core, and is a stock option, so it should work fine. Here is one for 40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Intel-Core-i7-740QM-1-73GHz-Socket-G1-Processor-CPU-SLBQG-/182369909570?hash=item2a7617fb42:g:hcQAAOSwUuFWw0DB

no, an edge 15(E50)

20100702_006.jpg

Edited by number004130
adding image

12 minutes ago, Andrew Storlie said:

Manufacturers generally use same the cooler between models with i3s, i5s and i7s.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

your best bet would be to put a i5-450M or i7-640M as they have same TDP as the i3-370M

but the socket supports Sandy and Ivy CPUs which have trillion times better iGPUs

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Manufacturers generally use same the cooler between models with i3s, i5s and i7s.

TDP is same- 35W

1 minute ago, number004130 said:

no, an edge 15(E50)

The e50 doesn't seem to offically support the quad cores, so the best is a i7 620m. It might work with a quad core, but i can't find anyone running one.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

The e50 doesn't seem to offically support the quad cores, so the best is a i7 620m. It might work with a quad core, but i can't find anyone running one.

I want to put in a Sandy or Ivy.

The socket supports them. 989 can accept both 988A-G1 and 988B-G2

Will it run if I add the microcodes to the bios?

2 minutes ago, number004130 said:

I want to put in a Sandy or Ivy.

The socket supports them. 989 can accept both 988A-G1 and 988B-G2

Will it run if I add the microcodes to the bios?

It won't work. They are different physical sockets, but have the same pin count. 

Even if it overheats and kills itself I don't care, the battery had been gone for the past 2 years and Windows now says that it could damage the system, only 1 USB works out of the 3 and it has dead pixels(not really, just black dots that aren't even looking like they are the pixels' fault, it turns out that was a result of too much pressure on the back or the bezel, or something like that) I have another 3 usable PCs and my sister uses this one, I could just give her my VM PC or an E8400 775(she has her data backed up)

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It won't work. They are different physical sockets, but have the same pin count. 

Socket G2, also known as rPGA 988B (there are Socket G/rPGA 989 sockets that can take Socket G2/rPGA 988B)

Wikipedia

Just now, number004130 said:

Socket G2, also known as rPGA 988B (there are Socket G/rPGA 989 sockets that can take Socket G2/rPGA 988B)

Wikipedia

and... 

your laptop is a socket g1 board that is 988A, which is different than g2. ALso things like the fsb frequency is different.

I do love how I have been waiting so long in TomsHardware and CPU-World, not getting any comments and I have gotten more than 10 in 10 minutes here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

and... 

your laptop is a socket g1 board that is 988A, which is different than g2. ALso things like the fsb frequency is different.

IT'S A 989, not a 988A.

I took the panel off yesterday and even CPU-Z says so.

IT'S A 989, not a 988A.

I took the panel off yesterday and even CPU-Z says so.

sandy bridge is a different socket and wouldn't work anyways, du to the 133mhz fsb on the first gen i series and the 100 on all newer ones. And sandy bridge uses a dmi 2.0 instead of 1.0, which won't work

Your best cpu is a i7 620m. Here 35 bucks, buy one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-620M-2-66Ghz-Laptop-Processor-SLBPD-SLBTQ-/132025488536?hash=item1ebd551498:g:brgAAOSwcUBYReHS

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

sandy bridge is a different socket and wouldn't work anyways, du to the 133mhz fsb on the first gen i series and the 100 on all newer ones. And sandy bridge uses a dmi 2.0 instead of 1.0, which won't work

Your best cpu is a i7 620m. Here 35 bucks, buy one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-620M-2-66Ghz-Laptop-Processor-SLBPD-SLBTQ-/132025488536?hash=item1ebd551498:g:brgAAOSwcUBYReHS

where did you get the FSB frequency from?

where did you get the FSB frequency from?

clock speed is 1.6 on some of the chips, mult is 13, fsb must be 133(also its 133 on the desktop chips)

Just get a i7 620m or 640m your not puting sandy bridge in there.

I would get a Sandy i3 if they were 5 or 10 euros just to test. But they are 30euros minimum.

The 370M is 5 euros tho, but why would I need another one?

F*ck it then.

Would an i5-540M give me the cinematic 24 fps in NFS:HP 2010(barely 15 now)? And no 2-3 sec input lag in time races?

Because i5 and i7 have better iGPU, not by much, but still better. And they are better at being a CPU.