Share how you fold and what machines you use to fold?

So I'm not someone who can fold 24/7 like some people on the forum so I find ways I can fold without having to pay for the electric and also having a excuse to the person who owns the house I currently live in to not mind me doing folding@home when it's cold outside and we have to turn the heat on. My office is in what used to be the garage of the house that has been insulated and finished with walls and wood floors has a separate thermostat from the rest of the house and oil heat in general is expensive and we have solar so I do folding@home during the day with the thermostat in my office set to low to heat up the office and also save on oil. I also have a second GPU in my main desktop which is a Sappire Radeon R7 240 to do folding@home when I'm not using the entire machine for folding@home. The two machines I have in my office are my main desktop called The Tank that has a i5 4690k and a reference RX 480 and a R7 240, and I also have a small ITX machine on the other side of the room for LAN parties, and friends, and family to play games on too, and I use that desktop to do folding@home sometimes too. The ITX machine has a i5 4590 and a Powercolor Radeon R7 370. Also I have a tablet with a Intel Atom CPU in it that consumes about 2 watts of power and I leave that thing folding at night when it's charging. When I'm at class at collage some of my classes are in the computer labs and also have google chrome so I use the google chrome app to fold on various types of desktops that have ranging types of CPUs ranging from old i5 650s all the way to i7 3770s, and as new as a i5 4590. So I have ways I do folding@home and I found some pretty efficient ways to do it, what do you guys use for folding@home and how do you guys make up for the amount of power consumed with the amount of heat produced?

What is folding@home?  Is that just putting compute power towards solving the worlds problems?

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

7 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

What is folding@home?  Is that just putting compute power towards solving the worlds problems?

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

https://folding.stanford.edu/

That pretty much explains it all.

did you guys read the actual post itself?

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

did you guys read the actual post itself?

Yeah but I don't know anything about it so I couldn't answer, sorry.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

Yeah but I don't know anything about it so I couldn't answer, sorry.

changed the title to make it easier to respond to I wanted this thread for people to share what machines people use and if they use any clever ways to do folding like I do?

[Based on the question in the title]

I start with folding in half, then half again, then half again, etc . . . sometimes I like to change it up and do thirds or fourths. :P 

OT: 24/7, my rig is in my sig. :D My pc sits in my dads basement using his electricity instead of at my house. Mwhahahahahaha (true story)

*edit

I have gamed while folding and have noticed a drop in frame rates. I was surprised though how well my 960 held up while playing Lotro and folding at the same time. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I make my monthly 3 million points on F@H for team Evga to qaulify for the promo. Cant fold 24/7 because electricity costs are killing me then here in germany. Being a student is never easy

I use my laptop (i5 6200u) with the Chrome browser folding, whenever i can plug it in the wall at university. My main PC (i7 3770 and GTX 970) runs Boinc over night.

i7 3770 | GTX 970 | 16GB DDR3

I am actually planning an always on machine for BOINC Projects right now.I am going to have it run at my parents house as I am not home most of the time. It will have a passively cooled gtx 750ti and a passively cooled AMD A4-5000 CPU. system should draw less than 100W all in all under load. This way it won't disturb anyone and Power consumption is quite low as well. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I am actually planning an always on machine for BOINC Projects right now.I am going to have it run at my parents house as I am not home most of the time. It will have a passively cooled gtx 750ti and a passively cooled AMD A4-5000 CPU. system should draw less than 100W all in all under load. This way it won't disturb anyone and Power consumption is quite low as well. 

I wanted to build a folding machine I was looking at some of those motherboards with those Atom CPUs on them because I love how power efficient they are and they are pretty much equivalent to a i3. I was thinking of just building a file server with one of those motherboards that have the Atom CPU on it and running folding@home on that and using whatever old GPU I have laying arround to put in the expansion slot to do folding. Also as a cheaper option since those boards with the Atoms on them are all expensive I was also thinking on using a old A8 7650k APU with a MSI board I have that supports raid and just putting that together as a file server and using the igpu on the A8 processor and one of the old GPUs I have for folding@home.

10 hours ago, Silitus said:

I use my laptop (i5 6200u) with the Chrome browser folding, whenever i can plug it in the wall at university. My main PC (i7 3770 and GTX 970) runs Boinc over night.

I just use the chrome plugin on any of the workstations I go on to fold at the collage I go to and some of them have pretty decent CPUs like a i7 3770 and according to the a cinebench test I ran the i7 3770 beats out my i5 4690k that I have at home at stock speed (don't really have any need to overclock it yet)

I'm using an R9 Fury, running 24/7 minus whenever I'm playing intense games (I actually leave it running for the not-so-intense games since it handles it without any issues.  In fact, it can actually run intense stuff while folding too but the graphics would have to be set lower and I didn't buy this card to do that so... xD)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm using an R9 Fury, running 24/7 minus whenever I'm playing intense games (I actually leave it running for the not-so-intense games since it handles it without any issues.  In fact, it can actually run intense stuff while folding too but the graphics would have to be set lower and I didn't buy this card to do that so... xD)

I can pretty much do the same with my RX 480 I can play games like overwatch at ultra settings just fine at arround 60fps

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just got a 1070 and haven't tried letting it fold while gaming.  It could probably handle it fine, especially in some of the less intensive games.  But I too bought my card for gaming at the best visual settings I can, so I'll probably stick to the "pause for gaming" method as well. 

As far as my methods go, I don't usually fold 24/7.  I'll start it up in the morning and let it fold. Pause in the evening for some gaming. When I'm finished gaming, I'll let it finish what it's currently working on and set a timer to automatically shutdown shortly after. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dedicated 24/7 folder rig for a TC team on a different forum board.  Runs on a old 1090T/990FX setup with a GTX960 running 1551MHz stock volts non stop for over a year and half.  OS is Mint Mate 18.  Plan to update it to a X79 setup with a 3930K, so I have more cores to use in BOINC.

I occasionally do a few weeks here and there 24/7 with the main rig that has my two GTX980Tis (major power hogs).  They act as great heaters during the cooler months (few down here).  Those run with a 4770K that I tend to delicate three to four cores to BOINC.  Tend to use an application called Project Lasso so F@H and BOINC don't fight over threads.

The rare few times I do game on the main rig.  I will only allow one GPU to fold while I use the other to game with.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

And to actually add to this thread, I fold on my main rig in my sig, but only on the 750Ti and 2 cores of the CPU (both of which are 24/7 folders). The 290 just fails the WUs as soon as they start :/ 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

• 3 weeks later...

I fold not that often because my whole room just heats up incredibly fast, but when I do then on my main rig with my 1080 and 6/8threads.