'Electronic blood' could power next-gen computers

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/23/electronic-blood-could-power-next-gen-computers/

Basically they are working on ways to cool components like the brain is cooled, using small channels internally which could lead to some interesting new tech AND cooler tech. Pun intended.

**Since apparently people seem to think Fox News should not be used, I decided to say F it, and use Fox News as sources exclusively. If you don't like it, report me. This is to show exactly how stupid those people sound.

Can I replace my blood with it and run on turbo mode?

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Soooo... They are putting a water block on the die ? Or building it into the die ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Fox News isn't all bad, happy to see there are still people who think for themselves instead of mindlessly following a crowd of haters. As for the technology it sounds amazing if they can make it work properly and reliably. It vastly complicates design though, and with the speed of light already being a limiting factor in processor manufacturing I can see them running into a bunch of issues.

been done...

...technically

would prefer cybernetics, dont make computers more human, we cant run for more than 24 (or however long) without needing an 8 hour "sleep", we get virus's every winter, half of us break down once a month....

make us more like computers not the other way round (anyone else picturing the borg now?)

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

we cant run for more than 24 (or however long) without needing an 8 hour "sleep", we get virus's every winter, half of us break down once a month....

I think the last time I was sick was from an ear infection in an above ground pool in (of course) New Jersey three years ago. And at least half of the modern people taking university seriously would disagree with the 8 hour sleep requirement. :P

More bio-centric can't be that bad.

Error: 410

been done...

...technically

would prefer cybernetics, dont make computers more human, we cant run for more than 24 (or however long) without needing an 8 hour "sleep", we get virus's every winter, half of us break down once a month....

make us more like computers not the other way round (anyone else picturing the borg now?)

Not really anything like this, but yes we can run for more then 24 hours. I think my record 98 hours while rolling through Iraq while in contact with the enemy off and on. Last time I was truly sick from a virus was several years ago. I take care of myself, so... yeah.

Why don't we just run a non conductive liquid over the die? Oh because its stupid!

Because if you understood what they were trying to do, then you would have your answer. They're looking to use the liquid to also help with power as wel, and make it more like the human brain

Fox News isn't all bad, happy to see there are still people who think for themselves instead of mindlessly following a crowd of haters. As for the technology it sounds amazing if they can make it work properly and reliably. It vastly complicates design though, and with the speed of light already being a limiting factor in processor manufacturing I can see them running into a bunch of issues.

It does complicate the design, yes, but the improvements gained could be astounding to say the least. They also theorize that it could help power the chips, doubtfully all the way, but even a small power coupled with a PSU would be awesome and save on bills.

And yeah, for me, I read a little of every website and actually make up my mind then.

Soooo... They are putting a water block on the die ? Or building it into the die ?

Building it into the die itself. Basically allowing "channels" to be created to help cool the components.

Some people may have not understand this, it's not just coolant that runs inside the chip...

It's replacing the wires  and connectors on a chip with a conductive material, supplying both power and dragging the heat away.

More efficient? Absolutely, but we are very far behind in therms of technology and manufacture to pull this off on the near future. 

Why not just use a real brain as a computer? wayyyy easier...... /joking

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Once again, Star Trek has predicted the future.

voyager4.jpg

Voyager's computer was part biological.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm just thinking of how they would go about it. Would they have the die the same size and complicate the design, or would they have a larger die and make it easier for themselves?

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

IBM are designing new new ways to stack processor chips with extreme efficiency. The stacks would have water cooling pipes connected on each layer to stop overheating, but the liquid they are using is able to transfer power to the processor as well as cool them. 

_70561382_ibm_5d_scaling_624.gif

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24571219

welcome to the forum and sweet post!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

If intel doesn't even bother using decent thermal paste then why the hell would they even use this technology? If they wanted to improve temps there's already a pretty good low cost solution. I just don't see this being implemented in consumer-grade processors.

I believe I saw this quite a while back. An IBM chip with in-built cooling channels.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Anyone crying over a Fox News link is an idiot. You think because the TV station (not even the entire news corporation) has 1 or 2 bad anchors, that the thousands of people all working for it are automatically discredited? Is that really how far this surge of stupidity has come?

It's pathetic. Get your own damn opinions people, and stop jumping on a hate bandwagon. I swear that most people that hate Fox News has never read or watched anything from them, they just do it because they see others doing it. They think if they trash-talk Fox they will automatically be regarded as some political expert or something because it's apparently the new "cool" thing to do in political discussions. It's asinine.

Furthermore, if you had an ounce of brain in your skull, you'd understand that many news stories are just reports of OTHER stories and meant as a way of spreading information. This article is exactly one of those. It comes from Discovery News, which in turn is a repost of a BBC article. Any capable human being can figure this out and think for themselves. Anyone inept enough to not understand something as simple as this really needs to do the world a favor and never participate in intellectual discussions again, you're only hurting the world.

been done...

...technically

it will be so awesome see Seymour Cray working, a true awesome Legend  ^_^