Ouya 2.0. Coming 'Sometime next year'

BalloonZaptor

i never liked the idea of the ouya,  and neither did any devs!

As a concept it sounded interesting, but none of the Android consoles have a chance. The market is already way too segmented. There is no control on specs, no average performance to expect and even Play Store support is not guaranteed on every device. The Android console market is already a mess and these devices have only been around a few months. On top of that, playing phone games on a TV seems like a really terrible experience.

I am not so sure Snapdragon 800 is more powerful as far as CPU goes. The Tegra 4 does have four Cortex A15 cores, which is insane. They use far more power, are less efficient (at least from what I've seen in tests) and produces a lot more heat though, which makes them less suitable for phones. Also all the stuff about connectivity built into Snapdragon 800 which I talked about on the previews page.

None of that really matters for an OUYA though.

The snapdragon uses a custom design based of of the a15 cores, much like apple's swift architecture. They are more power efficient, and faster according to benchmarks(yeah I know to accurate, but there is no fraps for android) such as 3dmark and quadrant

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Hmm, cool?

Ouya was a flop because the tegra 4 had already been released when it was finally rolled out. Isn't tegra 5 supposed to be coming next year?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

if ouya wants to be a success it must have 

Logan

nvidia game stream support

a place for a 2.5 or 3.5" drive

wireless AC

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

seriously i really dont see these android "consoles" becoming a thing when phones can basically do the same thing and there is real consoles like ps4 and xbox one also the nvidia shield is way better than this and how is this going to work with google locking down android now.

I <3 OUYA :D there an amazing concept, i wont mind them using Xbox 360 specs though. would make it allot nicer to dev on. 

Character artist in the Games industry.

• 1 month later...

New Tegra chip is already on the arise next year and the next shield will probably be powered by Project Logan, Kepler-based mobile GPU. Just another failure attempt from Ouya.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

To all the people who think OUYA was a failure it wasn't, it encouraged both Playstation and Xbox to reassess their Indie licenses.

The OUYA it self was just awful in terms of performance, only really good for playing emulators on really, but the concept behind it was outstanding.

To all the people who think OUYA was a failure it wasn't, it encouraged both Playstation and Xbox to reassess their Indie licenses.

The OUYA it self was just awful in terms of performance, only really good for playing emulators on really, but the concept behind it was outstanding.

Most people play their emulators on PC or Android devices. I'm probably one of the few that still play emulators/homebrew on the PSP. Mobile gaming is growing exponentially and gaining a ton of support, why would we need home console powered by a mobile chip?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The only thing that will make the Ouya succeed is if the game library is something special. Take Nintendo. Their systems are sorely underpowered compared to the competition, but who can honestly say no to a game of Super Smash Bros?  That magic is what consoles need to survive. The other competition just don't get it, they try too hard to be a PC. If I want a PC like experience with mad realistic graphics, I'd game on my PC.

Most people play their emulators on PC or Android devices. I'm probably one of the few that still play emulators/homebrew on the PSP. Mobile gaming is growing exponentially and gaining a ton of support, why would we need home console powered by a mobile chip?

the OUYA is an android device.

And the estimates for the OUYA 2 is close to the XB360 but with Rumored 1/2gb of ram, and i think they are moving to a Linux OS, I also think they are planning to add Steam Support as well but that's just rumors that would be nice.

I think the OUYA was a good test, but the OUYA 2 will be a massive step up in terms of Support and usability.

The only thing that will make the Ouya succeed is if the game library is something special. Take Nintendo. Their systems are sorely underpowered compared to the competition, but who can honestly say no to a game of Super Smash Bros?  That magic is what consoles need to survive. The other competition just don't get it, they try too hard to be a PC. If I want a PC like experience with mad realistic graphics, I'd game on my PC.

Mooshi gets it... sort of, OUYA tryed to make a games console everyone can create on without a $500k license for an SDK

the OUYA is an android device.

And the estimates for the OUYA 2 is close to the XB360 but with Rumored 1/2gb of ram, and i think they are moving to a Linux OS, I also think they are planning to add Steam Support as well but that's just rumors that would be nice.

I think the OUYA was a good test, but the OUYA 2 will be a massive step up in terms of Support and usability.

Mooshi gets it... sort of, OUYA tryed to make a games console everyone can create on without a $500k license for an SDK

I'm not knocking the Ouya, I respect their effort and am curious what this newer version might bring. If they can find a niche for themselves, they will thrive. If they can get on some unique franchises that is well received, they will be looking on the up and up!

WHO EVEN WANTED THIS?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

WHO EVEN WANTED THIS?

I do. The OUYA 1 is not powerful enough for what I want it to do.

The Tegra 4 is the best chip for Phones etc and very few devices have the Tegra 4 yet

No it's not. The reason no phone use it is because the snapdragon 800 is more powerful has a better GPU and is more efficient. Nvidia should be ashamed of themselves.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I do. The OUYA 1 is not powerful enough for what I want it to do.

You are part of a very rare race. :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I don't really get why the OUYA 1 got so much flack. My guess is that the thought process of people went something along these lines:

Person: OUYA seems amazing! I can play a bunch of Android games on my big screen TV!

*OUYA arrives*

Person: What the hell is this? It's just a bunch of Android games on my TV...

What did people expect?

Towerfall, but that was about it for good games, at least it has proven that you can get a quality title on an android based device.  If they could get Nvidia streaming on the OUYA 2.0 it's value would skyrocket IMO.

if ouya wants to be a success it must have 

Logan

nvidia game stream support

a place for a 2.5 or 3.5" drive

wireless AC

Don't forget a better controller, and i think it would be wiser to just have more USB ports for external drives to keep the price down.

They should wait for Project Logan, because it would be with Kepler and would have DX11 support.

RTX2070OC 

Not again. My netbook is a fair match for this P.O.S.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just kill it already or make it something remotely interesting. Why not invest in a game streaming client for your living room? Something that would use Steam OS for example, with that size... Otherwise it will just fail like the Ouya...

unless it has somthing like nvidia game stream, i can not see it doing any better than the previous ouya.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

they absolutely need dedicated tegra 4 game devs!

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Meh, thing was over hyped for no reason. I'm unimpressed. Who would actually play/want this?

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png