Youtube tech has become stale

ttam

It's just the same thing week after week with a mix of look at this expensive crap 99.9% of the viewers cannot afford but think is kinda cool. A lot of the tubers have resorted to just putting up quicker videos of lesser items just to get content out there. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a LTT video. I catch maybe one of Jayz videos here and there but it's all just kinda the same now.

What do you guys as the viewers want to see? More from scratch builds, videos explaining troubleshooting all issues, cool projects or normal reviews?

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

2 minutes ago, ttam said:

It's just the same thing week after week with a mix of look at this expensive crap 99.9% of the viewers cannot afford but think is kinda cool. A lot of the tubers have resorted to just putting up quicker videos of lesser items just to get content out there. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a LTT video. I catch maybe one of Jayz videos here and there but it's all just kinda the same now.

What do you guys as the viewers want to see? More from scratch builds, videos explaining troubleshooting all issues, cool projects or normal reviews?

watching tech news on youtube is the only way I get my daily dose of updates in the tech world so i see no problems with that..

as for troubleshooting videos, that's what forums are for. dont need videos for that except when the issue at hand is difficult to explain just with words. 

but i do agree with you that the content needs to get mixed up a little more..more diy tech projects would be cool and video reviews are always helpful since you get a look at the product in question being used irl..

those are my two cents on the topic..

I guess there is a limit to how many tech related videos you can make before you run out of ideas, especially in between big releases. But if a channel goes quiet for a few weeks the creator losses money, not good for those who do it as a full time job, and with the Internet's super short attention span they risk obscurity, hence the filler on many channels.

I guess they could cover more PC gaming, since that's what most of us build our rigs for.  

Most of Youtube tech is just stations trying to bait users into clicking their amazon links. Just garbage reviews of 'trendy' items.

I enjoy full system builds at various price points. That way I can just copy their list of components and know what I'm getting. Thats always useful.

You know what else is a major annoyance? Click-bait titles. It seems Gamers Nexus is the only one who doesn't use them, and thank goodness. Good on you, Steve.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Have you watched smaller channels? Since they don't have money or sponsors they do more creative things: compare old hardware to knew, dumpster builds, etc. For example this dude does an old mechanical vs new mechanical comparison, might not be interesting to you but outside of a "set up a NAS" video can't remember the last time a big channel did something like that:

Also maybe some of them shun at being too nerdy: Not the case with Wendell's new efforts (Level1tech, they're the former snydicate hardware and linux channels) he is even more of a nerd now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can't stand them doing these overkill builds. It's like you've done this a million times before. I really enjoyed the kickfarted ep today though. I want more budget builds too. Maybe when amd comes out with their new cpus it'll be better. Also remeber how indepth their graphic card reviews  were? Didn't they used to overclock them and such? 

I love the videos where it isn't about this stupid stuff like the next graphics card or the next big build, or whatever. I want to see cool stuff, like the videos Linus used to make where he would raid a bunch of SSDs and measure the performance difference, or where he would build a pfsense system and broke a motherboard (lol).  

Don't get me wrong there is probably a large amount of people who enjoy the videos with new graphics cards all the time and new extreme PC builds, but the more channels that do that the faster it will get old, and in my opinion; the LinusTechTips Youtube channel will end up dying because it's the same stuff everyone else does.  

I don't believe in talking about other Youtubers on this forum, but after the Tek Syndicate drama I think it turned out for the best, maybe they will have some interesting content. 

This was kind of a rant, but I hope Linus or Slick or any of the LTT staff see this and take this post into consideration. 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Have you watched smaller channels? Since they don't have money or sponsors they do more creative things: compare old hardware to knew, dumpster builds, etc.

Which is why Tech (Yes) City is usually the one that I'm excited about as he likes doing scrap builds :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Build guides. The build guides are great, regardless of what stuff they're putting in the PCs. I'd also like to see videos about designing systems. Things like compatibility, value, and what numbers are reasonable for different spec and tasks (as in "This many cores is good for this task but this is better for this" etc.). It's all great watching them build a PC, but it would also be nice to know what the intended use of the machine is and why the spec is appropriate, with reference to the spec of the components.

I guess its the same as anything, if you're consuming every little thing that happens on a daily basis you're never going to feel like a heap is happening, stay off everything for a few days and allow something to sneak up on you lol 

I kinda want to get in on the TechTuber thing. I have more hardware than probably all the current guys combined without having to be sponsored, have the camera junk and since I actually work in the industry, do the builds, fix this crap on a daily basis it seems like fun.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Which is why Yes (Tech) City is usually the one that I'm excited about as he likes doing scrap builds :P 

I think you mean tech (yes ) city

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I think you mean tech (yes ) city

Whoops, my bad :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

level one techs searching the surplus is a different take then the regular thing.