The Story of how I Lost a $2000 USD MacBookPro Retina :(

AlTech

At the end of 2013, my dad bought a new (at the time) Late 2013 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro with the new faster Flash Storage which was PCI-E based and was 2x faster than previous gen.

Throughout 2014 I had to use it for schoolwork at school since the school's own laptops really sucked. I eventually ended up bringing it to school every single day. And it was chill, a friendly community/area and there aren't many robberies or theft (you can also thank China's hate of theft for that, 10 years in jail if you steal anything) and it was secure enough where people did bring their own laptops to school. 

So I did for over year and when it came time do my GCSEs, I used the MBP for revising and stuff and so I still brought it to school.

On the day of one of my last exams, I left my bag outside with the laptop in it.

Some context: I was given 25% extra time for my exams and so this meant I could spend more time doing my paper.

Because of this, I choose to use the 25% extra time on a Maths Exam and so I was the last person to leave the exam room. When I went outside and checked my bag, it wasn't there.

I got the school to check all CCTV camera and they found nothing. They asked around and found nothing.

I never heard or saw anything of it ever again. Rest In Piece MacBookPro Retina. Hopefully I find you one day so that my Dad can one day forgive me.

mac.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Had a similar thing happen to a friend of mine also in HK outside a school exam hall. Don't you guys have lockers?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Just now, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Had a similar thing happen to a friend of mine also in HK outside a school exam hall. Don't you guys have lockers?

It would have been useless since I didn't have a lock on mine and my locker was dirty af.

And this event was surprising since where I live barely has any crime compared to the New Territories, Kowloon or even HK island.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It would have been useless since I didn't have a lock on mine and my locker was dirty af.

And this event was surprising since where I live barely has any crime compared to the New Territories, Kowloon or even HK island.

Yea my friend lost his at KGV (Ho Man Tin, Kowloon) so you can be sure that ended up in one of the street markets in the area. Which area did yours happen in as you eliminated everywhere except Lantau.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I made sure my laptop was under constant guard when I was in my exam. I asked the head teacher where I could leave it and whe said the office staff cannot leave till you have left. Nothing got stolen.

I'm always worried about this sort of thing so I get my expensive belongings brought into the exam room to be watched. Must have sucked to lose that laptop :(

lol China's hate of theft? Dude have you not seen the roaming gangs of pickpockets? I had my wallet stolen 3x in 3 years in China. Never had anything stolen in any other country in my life.

wow damn man, that is so sad, that was an expensive lesson to learn. I hope that you can afford a new laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

37 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I made sure my laptop was under constant guard when I was in my exam.

I left mine at home...because it was the 90's and a w95 laptop was kinda useless anyway.

Hope something shows up @AluminiumTech doesn't home contents insurances cover theft out of home or is that just an aussie thing?

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

30 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

wow damn man, that is so sad, that was an expensive lesson to learn. I hope that you can afford a new laptop.

Since then my dad didn't trust me enough to have a good laptop so he bought a shitty Lenovo, So shitty that I hated using it and thus my mom tried desperately to buy a new laptop I would like. And that's how I have my Pro 4 now.

11 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I left mine at home...because it was the 90's and a w95 laptop was kinda useless anyway.

Hope something shows up @AluminiumTech doesn't home contents insurances cover theft out of home or is that just an aussie thing?

IDK. The School should've paid insurance in hindsight but they didn't because they didn't feel responsible.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Since then my dad didn't trust me enough to have a good laptop so he bought a shitty Lenovo, So shitty that I hated using it and thus my mom tried desperately to buy a new laptop I would like. And that's how I have my Pro 4 now.

which lenovo laptop?? xD 

Also I love the SP4

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

which lenovo laptop?? xD 

Also I love the SP4

Lenovo U41-70 .......

I did a review here:

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lenovo U41-70 .......

I did a review here:

oh yeah that one...

In my university, when you're writing a final exam, you can bring your laptop with you and place it under your seat. I don't know why OP didn't do this....

I guess there's no way for you to use something like Find My MacBook service on iCloud?

Reminds me of the time one of my buddies had his scuba diving bag stolen while we were underwater.  His brand new iPhone 6 or something was in that bag, luckily I left my phone in the car and we were able to use my phone to track where his was.  10 minutes later we found the guy, acting like he was doped up or something, walking around dragging my buddy's bag.  Almost everything was inside that bag including the phone, the only things missing were the First Aid kit box and a few plastic contains used to protect the scuba masks and other small items.  Our assumption is that the bag was stolen by teens/young adults looking to find some beer or drugs or perhaps needles (in the First Aid box).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

dude i run a HP Pavilion DV1000 with a Intel Pentium M single core CPU from 2005 as my daily driver laptop for school. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein