Need a cheap low power Power Supply

Brian McKee

Going to be building a comp for my lil sis in a few months with some extra hardware I have, what I don't have extra of however are power supplies. Any ideas of a cheap 80+ power supply (at about 300ish watts) that won't explode? Would be great if the power supply is not longer than 150mm.

A used PSU like an Antec Earthwatts, Corsair CX 400 and Seasonic S12II are great choices.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

A used PSU like an Antec Earthwatts, Corsair CX 400 and Seasonic S12II are great choices.

Wow earthwatts are cheap, seems like it'll suit my needs perfectly thanks.

I have a Antec earth watts. cheap and silent. In another computer I have an old Antec power supply from 2009 that is still silent. I understand they dont manufacture them; they rebrand other PSUs like seasonic; but they seem to pick the best to slap their branding on 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You beat the Seasonic ET fanboi, you make me mad. :P

16 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Wow earthwatts are cheap, seems like it'll suit my needs perfectly thanks.

16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I have a Antec earth watts. cheap and silent. In another computer I have an old Antec power supply from 2009 that is still silent. I understand they dont manufacture them; they rebrand other PSUs like seasonic; but they seem to pick the best to slap their branding on 

No suffix from 380W to 500W is seasonic, no suffix 600W+, 'd' and 'green' suffixes are Delta, 'G', 'Platinum' and 'Pro' suffixes are FSP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

FSP oem bricks are good for that too , usually found in (who would have guessed it) OEM pcs and sold on ebay for very little money , usually 300~350watts and in aestheticly pleasing steel grey

nt1fsp.jpg

those are very very well engineered and ive overdrawn them massively (~400w on a 250w unit) and they wont budge or complain (it barely got warm and the voltage stayed rock-solid)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

FSP oem bricks are good for that too , usually found in (who would have guessed it) OEM pcs and sold on ebay for very little money , usually 300~350watts and in aestheticly pleasing steel grey

-snips-

those are very very well engineered and ive overdrawn them massively (~400w on a 250w unit) and they wont budge or complain (it barely got warm and the voltage stayed rock-solid)

What if they're actually 400W units but FSP is not sure if they can actually handle it? :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

What if they're actually 400W units but FSP is not sure if they can actually handle it? :P

FSP units are built like a brick and made w/ oems in mind , they last forever :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

FSP units are built like a brick and made w/ oems in mind , they last forever :P 

Well, I've heard both sides to the arguements then c: Some are fireworks, others are actual PSUs.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Well, I've heard both sides to the arguements then c: Some are fireworks, others are actual PSUs.

true , but so far only good things from me

(my server is powered by one , and those things are reliable like the tide)

PSU Tier list

11 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You can't really get the CX400 if I recall correctly. It's really old.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You can't really get the CX400 if I recall correctly. It's really old.

I have found one before and I would have gotten it, but I couldn't drive to where it was.