Tech that has spoiled you?

bobhays
On 11/10/2016 at 8:41 AM, steezemageeze said:

High capacity drives. I remember when all I had was my laptop with a 150GB HDD (Which I swapped out with a 120GB SSD, which also spoils me) and I was always deleting stuff, but now my PC has two 1TB HDDs, and I could add more if I really wanted.

Android phones, though this one is still kinda up in the air. I switched to an iPhone SE from my 2014 Droid Turbo because it was the cheapest option available on VZW, and it just shocks me sometimes to find out that iOS still doesn't have certain features (battery stats & data usage graph are missed for sure). The iOS Fleksy keyboard pales in comparison to the Android version (crashes, doesn't work with Firefox??, other weird things). Firefox doesn't have extensions, which means I don't have an ad blocker in my browser anymore. 

4G LTE, because holy hell is 3G slow.

My CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with MX Blue switches. I HATE typing on membrane keyboards now. I've considered on multiple occasions bringing it into school for my programming class, but I have a feeling that my classmates would hate me...

PREACH! I have that same keyboard for my rig at home and I love it! I ended up buying the same one but with MX Brown switches for the office so I didn't drive my co-workers totally crazy but still had some of the tactile feed back that I love so much about the MX Blues!

I don't think I could ever go back to a membrane keyboard now.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:35 AM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Top tier GPUs. Hard to justify buying a lower tier one in the future, at least for me.

SAME but not quite.

Since buying my 770, I could not psychologically buy a GTX 1060.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Every computer that ends up being used by me gets an SSD immediately. I have like at least 6 SSDs I've bought this year, it's nuts. Refuse to use spinning rust as an OS drive anymore. 

Also 144Hz is really hard to go to 60Hz immediately after, it's different than the slow and unresponsive feel of going from 60Hz 30Hz....it feels...stuttery.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

running three monitors for no reason other than "i had them so might as well" and internet at  ~120MBPs 

my 3D 1080p optima HD141x projector completely spoiled I have my own home theatre :) 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

OSX and Apple trackpads on their portable machines...

MacBook-Owner-E-Mails-Josbs-on-Trackpad-

SmallHD field monitors...

Small-HD-702-Monitor-1024x576-e144187041

And true 10-bit monitors

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

OSX and Apple trackpads on their portable machines...

MacBook-Owner-E-Mails-Josbs-on-Trackpad-

SmallHD field monitors...

Small-HD-702-Monitor-1024x576-e144187041

And true 10-bit monitors

my god 10 bit monitors

1K colors

jeez so much m8

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

my god 10 bit monitors

It makes color grading of videos and photo editing much much better in every way.  Also, 10-bit (or better) monitors will be needed for HDR video production.  And I have a Quadro GPU to run my monitors.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

And true 10-bit monitors

I've used one once and I've been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger and buy one for a while now. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

My Surface Pro 4's awesome Color Accuracy, High Brightness and amazing Adobe RGB and sRGB color has spoilt me. Now my desktop monitors look dull and boring :D.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I've used one once and I've been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger and buy one for a while now. 

You'll also need a workstation GPU, such as a Quadro or FirePro/Radeon Pro to truly appreciate a true 10-bit monitor.

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

My Surface Pro 4's awesome Color Accuracy, High Brightness and amazing Adobe RGB and sRGB color has spoilt me. Now my desktop monitors look dull and boring :D.

You sure the Surface Pro 4 has a 10-bit monitor and a GPU that supports 10-bit on OpenGL?  The screen on it is only 102% sRGB which is roughly 80% of AdobeRGB.  True 10-bit monitors are capable of 97% or more AdobeRGB.  It probably looks nice because the brightness level on the SP4's screen is pretty high, 400+ nits, but it definitely is not 10-bit color.

53 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You'll also need a workstation GPU, such as a Quadro or FirePro/Radeon Pro to truly appreciate a true 10-bit monitor.

I'm aware, if I were to buy one it would run off of a second GPU. Would buy an older used quadro. 

I'm looking to get a cintiq as well, and I might run it off of one of my dell precisions which has a quadro, (I want a 10 bit secondary screen for color editing) but if I spend that kind of money on screens, I'd probably build another desktop for that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

7 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm aware, if I were to buy one it would run off of a second GPU. Would buy an older used quadro. 

I'm looking to get a cintiq as well, and I might run it off of one of my dell precisions which has a quadro, (I want a 10 bit secondary screen for color editing) but if I spend that kind of money on screens, I'd probably build another desktop for that. 

Yeah, it may just be better to build a new workstation entirely.  Else, if you want to add a Quadro into a desktop that already has a gaming GPU, I recommend you not mix different architectures.  For example, if you have a GTX 980 something gaming GPU which is Maxwell, don't add a Pascal Quadro.  I've heard that mixing architectures may not work well.

Also if you mix workstation and gaming gpu, have at least two monitors.  Connect the monitor you want for your work to the workstation GPU and the monitor you want for entertainment to the gaming GPU.  If you only have a single monitor, you'll have to switch the monitor connection each time to the GPU you want to use for editing or for gaming, meaning (as an example) if your single monitor is connected to the Quadro and you want to game it will not utilize the more GTX GPU which is better for gaming.

22 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Yeah, it may just be better to build a new workstation entirely.  Else, if you want to add a Quadro into a desktop that already has a gaming GPU, I recommend you not mix different architectures.  For example, if you have a GTX 980 something gaming GPU which is Maxwell, don't add a Pascal Quadro.  I've heard that mixing architectures may not work well.

Also if you mix workstation and gaming gpu, have at least two monitors.  Connect the monitor you want for your work to the workstation GPU and the monitor you want for entertainment to the gaming GPU.  If you only have a single monitor, you'll have to switch the monitor connection each time to the GPU you want to use for editing or for gaming, meaning (as an example) if your single monitor is connected to the Quadro and you want to game it will not utilize the more GTX GPU which is better for gaming.

Well I'd probably actually mix AMD and nvidia. I've done that before just fine. The weaker quadro, probably single slot, would just be for the 10 bit monitor, and it wouldn't be the primary screen. No gaming would be done on this station if I made it, I already have 3 other desktops (One for gaming and HTPC, 2 for workstations) with their own desks, why not a 4th. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

G402 regular mice feel like crap now

same goes for mechanical keyboard for me now. I have way too many of them, cant stand membrane.  

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

same goes for mechanical keyboard for me now. I have way too many of them, cant stand membrane.  

Eh I can still use membrane but I do like my clicky keys

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

An SSD for all the PCs I use, and a massive battery on my phone

OH yeah definitely SSDs.  I can't live without having SSDs as at least the primary drive on any of my computers.

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

OH yeah definitely SSDs.  I can't live without having SSDs as at least the primary drive on any of my computers.

yah

On 11/11/2016 at 8:10 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

Every computer that ends up being used by me gets an SSD immediately. I have like at least 6 SSDs I've bought this year, it's nuts. Refuse to use spinning rust as an OS drive anymore. 

Also 144Hz is really hard to go to 60Hz immediately after, it's different than the slow and unresponsive feel of going from 60Hz 30Hz....it feels...stuttery.

muh specs 

All parts black

Going from crappy headphones to good ones :D

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I'm in my 30's so i grew up with old school Atari, original Sega and Nintendo, i also experienced the world before cell phones so i feel spoiled on a daily basis ;)