Tech that has spoiled you?

bobhays
19 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

And having a massive amount of screen real estate between 3 monitors. Its almost damned near impossible to work efficiently with one monitor.

I second this.  I refuse to have program open that isn't full screen.  I also don't get how people use so many tabs I'm their browser.  I open a new window in a new monitor almost every time.

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Steam and cloud games ( remember needing the disk to play games ? ) 

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Windows Aero Snap (Windows 7 and newer). Anytime I'm messing with Vista or earlier (for some unknown reason), I can't stand not being able to snap windows.

I didn't think about these two in the OP but yea most definitely agree. I was trying to use the snap feature on some iMacs at school and it was such a pain because one program didn't support it and would just go fullscreen. In windows almost every windowed app supports it.

EDIT: I'm not on W10 but I feel like work spaces would be a huge benefit.

1 hour ago, elkenrod said:

I second this.  I refuse to have program open that isn't full screen.  I also don't get how people use so many tabs I'm their browser.  I open a new window in a new monitor almost every time.

While I dont have everything fullscreen(unless im editing video), I def need things I'm working on to be half screen at minimum. The million tabs I dont understand either.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

49 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I didn't think about these two in the OP but yea most definitely agree. I was trying to use the snap feature on some iMacs at school and it was such a pain because one program didn't support it and would just go fullscreen. In windows almost every windowed app supports it.

EDIT: I'm not on W10 but I feel like work spaces would be a huge benefit.

I'm on the same boat about forgetting about snap. Also used virtual monitors a lot when I was on OSX. Now I'm happy I have both on windows

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

the SSD in my macbook pro

holy shit this thing is fast as hell. 700 read and 1.3gb write. 

Can't go back a mechanical drive again.

Also, my 980ti for the silky smooth 60fps experience. Anything below just isn't the same anymore

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Tough one. I'm going to have to pick two... SSDs and my Ultrawide monitor.

I've gotten so impatient with loading times, an HDD-only computer is going to be really difficult to use. And I will never, ever be able to use a normal monitor again. Ultrawide is life.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I'd say mechanical keyboards. Whenever I go to a store and browse the electronic section, I always utter gross when touching a squishy keyboard...especially laptop keyboards. 

Easy. My modified insignia bookshelf speakers and other speakers I've owned. I've gotten so used to good audio that I can't listen to tinny shit like bluetooth speakers without cringing.

Also I guess to a lesser extent I could say my Pentax K-01 spoiled me when it comes to photography. Not having manual controls on a camera is beyond frustrating to me now when I'm trying to compose shots.

The original PlayStation, I grew up in a rural area that didn't even get TV reception, we had a TV and VCR for watching movies though, when we got a ps1 for Christmas it was like opening a whole new freaking world, my brothers and I loved playing gran turismo.

3 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

ThinkPad quality. Every other laptop feel like plastic toys. I struggle to use laptop keyboards that are not ThinkPad keyboards.

I don't know what it is but lenovo makes some of the best keyboard in laptops ever. We used to have an old cheapo lenovo that was like <$300 but it had a better keyboard than most of the laptops I've ever used. The only ones I like better are the the non-butterfly switch macbooks, and the blade.

I have to give it to the SSD. I can't stand working on a computer without one. Every time a friend asks me to look at their computer because it's running slow, it literally takes me 10 times longer to run ccleaner, malwarebytes, antivirus, etc.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

My wife says GPS. It has spoiled her the most. To the point she can't even read a map. 

My blue IQUE Gameboy Advance SP that I lent to a "friend" and he lost it. (-.-)
That screen on bright mode was brighter than any other ones and the battery life was much better than the original.
Hope that fktard remember where he put it and bring my precious back!

All of it.

:P

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, Spookshow said:

My wife says GPS. It has spoiled her the most. To the point she can't even read a map. 

Haha I feel like that's true for many people

4 minutes ago, YongKang said:

That screen on bright mode was brighter than any other ones and the battery life was much better than the original.

Oh man. I had the advance and remember when the SP came out with the backlight so you could play at night I thought it was amazing. It was also small enough to fit in a pocket but I didn't play enough to try getting one.

7 minutes ago, YongKang said:

iQue? How the fuck did you end up with an iQue Game Boy Advance?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

iQue? How the fuck did you end up with an iQue Game Boy Advance?

I bought it when I went back to China. It was such a goodie.

Just now, YongKang said:

I bought it when I went back to China. It was such a goodie.

Damn. I would fucking love to own either some iQue DS, Game Boy, or the iQue Player (that Nintendo 64 thing).

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Damn. I would fucking love to own either some iQue DS, Game Boy, or the iQue Player (that Nintendo 64 thing).

They have a 3DS the last time I checked. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

2 hours ago, Fooshi said:

ThinkPad quality. Every other laptop feel like plastic toys. I struggle to use laptop keyboards that are not ThinkPad keyboards.

Which model are you using??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Wireless- Being able to have internet without being tethered is pretty nice.

Cable internet- I had dial up until about 11 years ago and it sucked.

Heated Mattress pad- One of those "why did i wait so long" purchases.  In the winter having a bed that is already warm when you get in it is very nice.  Also allows me to keep the thermostat down at night. 

Bluetooth- Being able to connect or control a device without worrying about hitting an IR sensor is great.

Red Dot Sights- Cause Iron sights suck. 

SSD's.

Time it took to boot up before SSD was inserted: 2 minutes with crappy system of G100

Time it took to boot up after SSD was inserted: 11 seconds.

That is, from the POST beep to Windows Desktop.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 hours ago, Fooshi said:

Personally I have the 2015 X1 Carbon. 

Holy shit..... the top dog.... NO wonder you have high praises for the machine.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.