Anandtech Pixel XL review

patrick3027
2 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

But you decided to elaborate on what he said and agree with it. 

You could literally post "specs don't matter to the average Joe" on every thread talking about hardware, but what would we gain/learn from that ? 

I could, you're right. But I'm not going to. Would you like to know why?

1: People who post on here aren't Average Joes, making saying that specs don't matter to the average Joe pointless.

2: I didn't post it in the first place. I just agreed with him and shared a story as to why I do.

God forbid anyone would have discussions on a forum.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Saying that users don't care about specs doesn't means they don't care about the user experience. This is why the iphone is among the best selling phones: even with underwhelming capacity for storage and ram, they refined the user experience to feel very fluid and responsive.

This.

User experience, especially to an average user type person, is kind of hard to quantify. And while the small dictionary of specs was cool to look through it failed to answer the question is this the right phone for me? This is likely because 60% of what was in the article went over my head, but the question remains.

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

1: People who post on here aren't Average Joes, making saying that specs don't matter to the average Joe pointless.

2: I didn't post it in the first place. I just agreed with him and shared a story as to why I do.

1. That was exactly  what I was trying to point out in the post you just quoted. 

2. You were the first person in this thread to use the term "average joe" . 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Just now, patrick3027 said:

1. That was exactly  what I was trying to point out in the post you just quoted. 

2. You were the first person in this thread to use the term "average joe" . 

If Person 1 starts talking about World War One and Person 2 joins in but refers to it as the Great War (both accurate names for the conflict), then is Person 2 the one who brought up the Great War? No, Person 1 brought it up, just using a different term.

Anyway, I'm done replying. All this is doing is derailing the thread further.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Even though it has the military grade build, I'd still rock a big case on it, same how I have the huge Spigen Slim Armor on my G2. Absolutely worth it for those few cases it drops, though It doesn't drop often, if at all.

Reveal hidden contents

Original-For-LG-G2-Slim-Armor-Case-Spige

Cases won't help the fragility of the V20's camera lens. That is something LG needs to resolve to fix.

I'll stick to my Nexus 6P. The decision to go from front facing speakers to inferior bottom single speaker is already a deal breaker for me. 

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I'll stick to my Nexus 6P. The decision to go from front facing speakers to inferior bottom single speaker is already a deal breaker for me. 

i heard that it's clearer than the 6P's speakers 

14 minutes ago, Daring said:

Cases won't help the fragility of the V20's camera lens. That is something LG needs to resolve to fix.

Absolutely not, but with it being a think case, it will put the lens "in" and at least when it falls it won't have a direct contact with the floor so it will remove that danger which is the biggest problem.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There are many things I don't like about the phone and price is on top of it. It's bad two material back piece is annoying, so are bezels, which don't even have stereo loudspeakers.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Technicolors said:

i heard that it's clearer than the 6P's speakers 

I'd have to demo side by side to say. Was comparing an older Samsung with a bottom speaker where you had to cup the bottom to get any decent volume. 

9 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I'd have to demo side by side to say. Was comparing an older Samsung with a bottom speaker where you had to cup the bottom to get any decent volume. 

the ye old cup method. been some time since i've done that. 

20 hours ago, Mobilevortex said:

One last thought regarding the comparison to the OnePlus three. It's a 5.5 inch display at 1080p. That in and of itself negates the price difference in my not so humble opinion. It's a great phone for the price, no doubts there. But it's apples and oranges if we are trying to compare it to the Pixel XL.

i dont think this makes it apples to oranges at all..

They have same Processor & GPU  Both metal Builds Both no water proofing both no dual speakers similar battery sizes  and so on there pretty similar phones.

Some Differences would be 

Software which is way bigger overall impact then 1080pv vs 1440p

Thickness  Pixel is on the chunkier side  small for most people 

6gb ram in Oneplus vs 4gb in Pixel should be small overall impact

Bezel on Onplus is slighty smaller width and height 

When was the last time you had a 1080p screen and 1440p screen next to each other of similar quality i can tell you its Small and arguably un-noticeable for 99% of people at 400PPI

this is around where i can stop telling the difference easily Iphone 7 4.7 inch display 326ppi i can easily see the difference to my s7 edge 1440p screen 500+ PPi but when comparing a 5.5 inch 1080p the difference is very hard to spot. 

No way  the $399 dollar vs 779 dollar   Difference in screen  is not worth  $370.00 alone.  Personally id take a pixel over the Oneplus if there free  But  that price does make it hard to justify to a degree and would probably make me pick the oneplus at current prices