Choosing a Career

Jahvy

Hello everyone. I'm having a few issues and i'm in need of advice from like-minded people. I'm 16 years old and In my third year of high school in the united States. I simply love computers and i have made my mind that what ever I do in the future, I want computers to be apart of it. I'm crossed between multiple options. Computer engineering (I have built computers, and is currently on the robotics team in my school), Software engineering (i know Java, RobotC, and BASIC), and Information Technology. I've even thought about starting my own business, getting CompTIA A+ certified, etc. I just don't know exactly what i want to do and what would be more beneficial. I realize that getting a degree in a career that you don't enjoy is worthless but i also want to be comfortable in life. Basically, what i'm asking is for advice from older and wiser members, college students, and just anyone in general who can give me advice on one of the biggest decisions in my life. Thank you. 

If you can do what you enjoy in a computer science field I would go for it. Try and find a balance between pay and what you enjoy. I don't particularly mind physics, but I (ironically) hate math. I'm self cutting my way through an engineering degree in hopes of a decent pay so I can not have to worry about money and have the freedom to do what I want after I land a stable job.

I'd soooooooooo much rather be doing a History or English major, but the job security and pay just isn't there. The logic is I can always go back and work on things I enjoy or possibly get multiple degrees after I can acquire a degree that can hold me over and create that opportunity rather than taking a risk on a History/English major.

For the same reasons, I think a lot of people that are interested in music or arts might go for a different degree and pursue arts in their spare time or when they free time up after obtaining their first degree.

Ironically in my undergrad I have more history credits from AP credits and needing full time enrollment while being bottlenecked by calculus. I also tutor for history, you don't know my pains.

Error: 410

I'm a grade 12 student going in computer science come Fall 2014. The only thing I'm worried about is math. I did not take functions or advanced functions. But if you're like me and love to code + build. Do it, computer science is one of the top three highest paying majors.

REMEMBER:it's not all about grades. There will always be people that are smarter than you. Don't get discouraged, I learnt that the hard way. If you're passionate about something. You'll come out on top. Just pour your heart and soul into it.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You can get yourself a Orientation Adviser, these guys have a learning degree above university. I had one supplied for free, they are so good.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Well ill give you my life...
at the age of before school (like 5-6 idk, and im 20.) i was starting to like PCs the games and things and so from time to time i wonderd how would it be to make souch a thing... (than didnt exist internet like today...) but that thouth ran away fastly when i got into school and doing stuf what you usualy do in school, and one day (this is usualy normal at my county) a pair of police came to my school (one guy one woman) all drest as police should bla bla bla... as i was soaking up all that blue that they had and the belts and(well you know where im going whit that lol)... that day i decided that i would become one of them... and so many year have past and i am one of them now, but deep inside there is that litle spark that wants to have something whit programing and such thing. and yes it still stands that i can go futhure on to do so but im inshure. so... take your time... you never know what is going to happen...

If you can do what you enjoy in a computer science field I would go for it. Try and find a balance between pay and what you enjoy. I don't particularly mind physics, but I (ironically) hate math. I'm self cutting my way through an engineering degree in hopes of a decent pay so I can not have to worry about money and have the freedom to do what I want after I land a stable job.

I'd soooooooooo much rather be doing a History or English major, but the job security and pay just isn't there. The logic is I can always go back and work on things I enjoy or possibly get multiple degrees after I can acquire a degree that can hold me over and create that opportunity rather than taking a risk on a History/English major.

For the same reasons, I think a lot of people that are interested in music or arts might go for a different degree and pursue arts in their spare time or when they free time up after obtaining their first degree.

Ironically in my undergrad I have more history credits from AP credits and needing full time enrollment while being bottlenecked by calculus. I also tutor for history, you don't know my pains.

and yes i too have the same interest in physics but hate math that's the problem.

EDIT: hope it helps...

I was interested in computers and game design all my life (especially in High School). Ended up studying Human Biology and Evolutionary Biology in University. After years of work in the medical field I am now a banker..... Motto of my story? Your career path will change in high school, and then two more times in University and then once more after the work force. Different stages of life require demand different necessities (money, work environment, prospects for promotion, social status, work benefits, pension etc). One thing that has always remained the same is my passion for tech and music. Regardless of what my career was and now has become, I have managed to keep my passions alive. That is what is important and that is what you should strive for. Also it is never about grades, certificates, degrees. What matters is who you know, the social connections you have made and your drive to achieve what you desire.  My 2 cents. Best of luck on your endeavors!

I was interested in computers and game design all my life (especially in High School). Ended up studying Human Biology and Evolutionary Biology in University. After years of work in the medical field I am now a banker..... Motto of my story? Your career path will change in high school, and then two more times in University and then once more after the work force. Different stages of life require demand different necessities (money, work environment, prospects for promotion, social status, work benefits, pension etc). One thing that has always remained the same is my passion for tech and music. Regardless of what my career was and now has become, I have managed to keep my passions alive. That is what is important and that is what you should strive for. Also it is never about grades, certificates, degrees. What matters is who you know, the social connections you have made and your drive to achieve what you desire.  My 2 cents. Best of luck on your endeavors!

As evidence to back up my recommendation: I got into the banking business through a referral from a friend. It was that referral that gave me the "in" for an opportunity to show what I have to offer in an interview i.e. my moment to shine. Without the referral I probably would not have been considered for an interview, based on my schooling and work experience. I am very fortunate and lucky to be doing really well for myself and it was the best career choice I have made thus far. Again though, none of it would have happened if I didn't know the right person to give me the "in" that I needed. Getting that "in" is not easy with every one around you having the same or better credentials. People before Paper. That's the best advice I can give you.

i don't have much to say here but if you have a passion for something and if you will work hard at it, you will achieve. And by achieving i don't necessarily mean it in terms of pay but also fulfillment etc. 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I'm still in high school(senior), I was recently hired by my school district's IT Department. In the interview process they immediately asked me if I had my A+ certificate, I said no so we talked a bit more about computers in general and how much experience I have already with them(building, Linux, server systems, etc.). They hired me on the spot(intern position, but my school district is paying me part time), but they are pushing me to get my A+ for future jobs. It's almost been a month since I was hired and I've been loving every minute of it. It goes from sorting cables to setting up desktops as well as messing around with the server room itself.

It really depends on which path you want to take. In IT I know at least for myself that I will be having more hands on experiences, but they will be more server orientated rather than desktop, but it can be both software and hardware based.

If you want Java, C++, HTML, etc. then I'm not the guy to talk to about that!

TL;DR, get your certificates if you want a job in IT.

Computer Engineering can be a number of things.  At my school CmpEs can choose to focus on Computer Systems & Software, Digital Signal Processing, Telecommunications, Controls, or VLSI & Digital Design, or some combination of those.  For the most part, it's math, lots of math, and applying that math to various areas of computing and hardware.

I suppose Software Engineering is along the lines of Computer Science.  That's more strictly software, algorithms, and the like.  Lots of coding.

Information Technology is probably more along the lines of network/server management and stuff like that.  I don't know as much about it though.

I personally would recommend Computer Engineering as it's extremely versatile and you can take it in many different directions.  (I may be a little biased, though. ;))

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro