NES mini tear down. Cpu is Arm based

goodtofufriday

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/nes-mini-teardowns-have-begun-chips-identified/

The first major image of the NES Mini's motherboard hit the Internet thanks to Gamespot Senior Reviews Editor Peter Brown. His shots were shared and scrutinized by members of Reddit's Nintendo community. Code numbers on chips led those users to determine that the system (which emulates NES games and displays them on 1080p displays) is primarily fueled by an AllWinner R16 "system-on-chip" solution.

If the chip works as advertised by Chinese manufacturer AllWinner, as opposed to being customized for the NES Mini in any way, then it includes a dual-core Mali-400 GPU which could be powerful enough to pump out as many as 55 million triangles per second (in its 28nm, 500MHz variant). There's also a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU, which has been clocked at 1.2GHz in smartphones, as well as 256MB of DDR3 RAM and 512MB of NAND flash storage.

Replacing a smd flash chip is easy peasy. Making it replaceable is also easy (or placing a larger chip). Since the cpu is arm based the OS Nintendo made is likely Linux at its core. And the Allwinner r16 has a usb otg controller built into it as well. i think we will see custom game list relatively soon IMO. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Brilliant move by Nintendo.  They will sell more of these this Holiday than they did WiiU's last year.

I'm buying one. Mainly so I don't have to dig in my moms attic for my old regular NES. 

Plus the nostalgia is strong with it, 30  games, 1 controller and a mini nes for 60? Throw in another controller for 10 and boom, instant 2P action.

12 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

This also means it's more powerful than the 3DS, lol.

The 3ds is 5 years old.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Which is why it amazes me that they release a "New" 3DS that's only a bit more powerful for all intents and purposes.

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

Which is why it amazes me that they release a "New" 3DS that's only a bit more powerful for all intents and purposes.

I wasn't aware a mid-console refresh requires radically different internal hardware.

The New 3DS is fine as it fixes many of the original's flaws. That was it's goal. The additional performance was to alleviate CPU bottlenecking, which can be seen and duplicated in even games like Zelda; OoT.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I owned an NES as my first console and although having one of this would be awesome, it's a disappointment. If it had access to Nintendo's eShop to add more games and expandable storage, it would have been x100000 better. 

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I wasn't aware a mid-console refresh requires radically different internal hardware.

The New 3DS is fine as it fixes many of the original's flaws. That was it's goal. The additional performance was to alleviate CPU bottlenecking, which can be seen and duplicated in even games like Zelda; OoT.

Mid console? The 3DS has been out for almost 5 years at that point. If there's ever a time to replace the thing, it was then. And we have seen mid-console refreshes bring major revisions to the hardware, look at the billion different models of Gameboy up until the Gameboy Advance.

5 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Mid console? The 3DS has been out for almost 5 years at that point. If there's ever a time to replace the thing, it was then. And we have seen mid-console refreshes bring major revisions to the hardware, look at the billion different models of Gameboy up until the Gameboy Advance.

That would be 3 years, 2 for the XL.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

so what's the difference between this and retroPi?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The NES mini still takes cartridges though, right? And is there still slow-down and flickering on the NES mini?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The NES mini still takes cartridges though, right? And is there still slow-down and flickering on the NES mini?

No cartridges. Everything is digitally stored on the console.

Due to the way how it's set up, what's on the console is what you get. Although, knowing the modding community that might change.

Yeah, I can see homebrew being made for this thing. It's just... All it is, is a NES emulation box. Why not give it... I don't know, support for other Nintendo consoles?

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Due to the way how it's set up, what's on the console is what you get. Although, knowing the modding community that might change.

Well that sucks. I don't really see the purpose of it without actual cartridge support. I still have some cartridges, too, and it would've been great for the value of vintage NES games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Well that sucks. I don't really see the purpose of it without actual cartridge support. I still have some cartridges, too, and it would've been great for the value of vintage NES games.

It's too tiny for cartridges, so...

I know how you feel, though. I have some NES carts left over from my NES (and the NES before that, and the NES before the NES before that one), and being able to play them on my fancy, modern LCD TV would be nice. The game selection on the NES Mini isn't even that great, missing some great titles like Contra, Castlevania III and Ikari Warriors, and being limited to only 30 games out of 713.

11 hours ago, Daring said:

As a part of that community, we are already on it. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

As someone who never had a nes this is just fine for me, especialy since it is only 60 dollars/euro and it would be just plug and play with 30 games and a controller, would be sweet if there was an optin to add more games but i'm not going to complain formthat price

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105