Do you really need case fans?

Supersenshi100

Hello all,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this before I decide to give it a go.

I'm wondering if I could get away with removing/unplugging my current case fans (4x Corsair AF120s) to reduce the noise of my PC. I currently have four case fans, both fans installed in the Corsair H80i v2 AIO liquid cooler, and my PSU oriented to intake from below the case and exhaust straight out. The CPU peaks at about 55C under full load, GPU sits around 70C under full load as well, so temps aren't currently a problem. 

My current setup is

Thermaltake mid-tower full ATX

Intel i7-4770K - not overclocked -- with the above mentioned Corsar H80i v2 cooler

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 

Thermaltake 750W 80 plus bronze PSU

1x Samsung 120GB SSD

2x WD Black 1TB HDDs

(Also, this is my first post. Hi all!)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Both your cpu and gpu are fine up to 80-90c at load. Most people like to keep them below ~80c.

Feel free to unplug or lower fan speeds as long as your temps are fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd unplug fans one at a time and see how far u can go while staying in a safe range.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Case fans a basicly necessary, but you only really need 2 or 3 (More isnt that effective). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

7 hours ago, rn8686 said:

More isnt that effective

More isn't that effective in terms of reducing temperature.  However 8 fans running on idle will provide roughly as much airflow as 3 fans running at high RPM while making a hell of a lot less noise. 

I have a 6700k at 4.2ghz that tends to idle in the high 20's and high 50's-mid 60's when gaming in a tiny itx case with 2 fans. Having a buttload of fans doesn't really help much, it's more how efficient your setup is and targeting hot spots in your case effectively. 

Whenever I had a Define R4, I outfitted all the fan slots and my temps were meh compared to the obnoxious sound. 

Unplugging all the fans is ill-advised since there are more than just a CPU and GPU that need air cooling in the system. The motherboard chipset and CPU VRMs need to have the hot air they produce either removed or displaced by fresh air. At the very leas I would leave a single fan plugged in as a rear exhaust.

I tested this on my system when I was building my fan controller. What I learned is that the heat buildup is actually enough to destabilize the system (especially if overclocked) and cause freezes and crashes. I remedied mine by putting my quietest fan on the back and having it run at a low RPM to help keep a little bit of air moving through. The rest of the fans were set to come on if the temps got too high on either CPU or GPU.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 4.11.2016 at 4:27 AM, Supersenshi100 said:

-snip-

Since you don't have blower style GPU cooler you will need airflow in the case. You could use SpeedFan and set your case fans power up when your system starts to get stressed, so as the GPU and CPU start to heat you get the airflow going to keep things cool and while idle or in low load you get the silence. Also you may want to keep positive airpressure in your case so you may want to keep intake fans spinning always enough to counter the H80i fans.

But either way. Consider that if you remove the case fans, only thing moving air in your case will be the H80i and preferably it should be in intake, because your GPU is heating the air in the case, you don't want to try to cool your CPU with only that air. But also then you are going to be cooling your GPU with air that is already somewhat heated by your CPU, so that's not that good either.