Russia is looking towards abandoning Microsoft

31 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I have been looking, I cannot find any sites reporting something similar to what you are saying that was published in late 2015 early 2016.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/08/ban-windows-10-in-government-says-top-russian-politician-over-privacy-fears/

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/39578/intelligence/windows-10-ban.html

https://www.neowin.net/news/russian-government-wants-to-ban-windows-get-more-tax-dollars-from-google-apple

This is basically a rehash news story. Though, the title is misleading, because Russia isn't looking to ditching Microsoft, other than its government for official business, due to privacy and espionage concerns.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Kosios said:

That's why I love America.  Freedom.  I HATE HATE HAAATE censorship.

There is a lot more censorship than you would believe, even in America. Think about news outlets being paid to push an agenda or Wikileaks.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Thanks mate, was looking for this.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Microsoft software, by way of Windows Update, basically has a built-in "kill switch" which should be very worrying to people or nations that do not want to, or cannot maintain an ongoing relationship with Microsoft.  Imagine the sort of havoc that Microsoft, or actors using Microsoft facilities, could inflict if they just released or caused the release of a rogue Windows Update.  The Russian government isn't out to spy on people. 

well... at least it won't be windows that'll manage their new nuclear warhead

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

How many knuckleheads are about that honestly believe shit like this? Nobody “controls” the Internet, and if you want to get technical and look at what companies manage a lot of our social infrastructure, it most certainly wouldn’t be fucking Russia of all people. It would be the United States and all of the US-based companies that run our most popular websites to date.

I wasn't saying that Russia would take control over the internet. I saying that governments want control over the internet. If you're saying that I am some loony that knows nothing, go look at North Korea, China, etc.

3 minutes ago, Jed M said:

I wasn't saying that Russia would take control over the internet. I saying that governments want control over the internet. If you're saying that I am some loony that knows nothing, go look at North Korea, China, etc.

you missed the US with NSA on that list. but i get the point you both are trying to make, the internet is a mesh network so its in control of whoever controls the hops, but if you create your own hops than you evade that control. both are kinda true.

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

russia also looks towards cutting itself from the internet

Pst, the backbone is mainly powered by Unix/Linux.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I would dump MS for Linux or even Mac if I could find some more enjoyable First Person shooters available, but all I have is CSGO and Insurgency. Are there any IDK... "bigger" shooters available on Linux?

As for Russia abandoning Microsoft? YES!!! Let's Go!

Linux be liketumblr_mtsuz4crAk1ry46hlo1_r1_400.gif

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If russkies really want full IT "independence", they should outright ditch any licensed ISA (x86, ARM) and develop their own derivative of, lets say, OpenPOWER where the user own and control every single component of the platform right down to the CPU's microcode and the MB firmware. The OS/App part is easy compared to that.

7 hours ago, Mark77 said:

Microsoft software, by way of Windows Update, basically has a built-in "kill switch" which should be very worrying to people or nations that do not want to, or cannot maintain an ongoing relationship with Microsoft.  Imagine the sort of havoc that Microsoft, or actors using Microsoft facilities, could inflict if they just released or caused the release of a rogue Windows Update.  The Russian government isn't out to spy on people. 

I really hope that the Russian government (or any large organization) isn't using Windows Update. That would be their first mistake.

-KuJoe

4 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I really hope that the Russian government (or any large organization) isn't using Windows Update. That would be their first mistake.

Of course they're using Windows Update or very similar "enterprise" tools supplied by Microsoft to keep their machines patched. 

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

Of course they're using Windows Update or very similar "enterprise" tools supplied by Microsoft to keep their machines patched. 

Ouch, that sucks for them. And patching live machines without testing the updates is also a bad idea.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Ouch, that sucks for them. And patching live machines without testing the updates is also a bad idea.

There can be time-delayed kill switches in patches.  Lots of ways of sneaking stuff in that might evade detection in a 'cyberwarfare' sort of scenario. 

The whole thing might be, as well, an effort to reduce foreign currency flow to the US.  If Russia and the US are 'enemies' once again, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Russia to pay for US software. 

Just now, Mark77 said:

There can be time-delayed kill switches in patches.  Lots of ways of sneaking stuff in that might evade detection in a 'cyberwarfare' sort of scenario. 

The whole thing might be, as well, an effort to reduce foreign currency flow to the US.  If Russia and the US are 'enemies' once again, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Russia to pay for US software. 

True. But I think Microsoft's greed is stronger than their patriotism, I'm sure if Russia wanted to write a check to Microsoft for licenses it wouldn't be hard regardless of the political climate. Either way, being reliant on one specific software (be it OS or otherwise) is dangerous. I remember when I was much younger and realized that all of the root nameservers in the world used different OSes and DNS servers, I was so happy to hear that. Not related but this thread reminded me of it. :)

-KuJoe

Oooooo ....k

Apparently Russian's likes their koolaid at least the government part. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER