Windows 10 on 1GB RAM?

Sport Driver

So I have 6 year old netbook I'm using for college with 1,66Ghz Atom procesor and 1GB ram. Should I update to Windows 10 or just leave it on 7?

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

Use linux.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Microsoft has as the minimum requirement for Windows 10 listed that it needs 2GB of system memory (4GB is recommend) so I doubt it will work well, if it all.

As Enderman has said, a Linux version might be a better solution, as these can often run on very low end systems and don't require much storage too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not even all linux distros will run great, so either you dig up a copy of XP or go with something like Lubuntu or maybe Elementary OS if you are new to linux it might be a bit easier. On the other hand if you want a truly well running system go arch route. It will allow you to just load up things you actually need and you will learn a LOT about how your system works, but be prepared to a few days of tinkering if you are new to linux.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

^ or leave on 7 if you aren't comfortable with that

Windows 7 still doesn't work great on such low amounts of ram. It takes far more resources than linux.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

But the performance benefit is moot if you're really uncomfortable with Linux in general

Performance benefit?

More like difference between useful and an unusable broken OS....

Have you ever tried running windows on 1GB of ram???? It's horrible.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Sport Driver said:

So I have 6 year old netbook I'm using for college with 1,66Ghz Atom procesor and 1GB ram. Should I update to Windows 10 or just leave it on 7?

if you run a 32 bit version, and you didn't expect much from it... You'll be happy with it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

19 hours ago, Sport Driver said:

Windows 10 will run on it, however if you're fine with linux i'd say install that instead. Linux can be much less resource hungry than Windows.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I will try dual boot with Linux, which one do you recommend, Ubuntu?

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

1 hour ago, Sport Driver said:

I will try dual boot with Linux, which one do you recommend, Ubuntu?

Probably, it has most resources(Arch has way better docs, but not as easy for someone new to linux) to help you on your way, has packages ready for almost all things so you dont need to compile stuff yourself. But considering low powered pc I would suggest you take a look at http://lubuntu.net/, it uses LXDE which is the thing that draws your desktop and it is quite a bit lighter on recources compared to unity which ubuntu uses, but you still get benefits of ubuntu community since Lubuntu is based on ubuntu.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, Sport Driver said:

Windows 10 build 10240 and 10586 will work. However, newer updates such as build 14393 will require 2GB RAM.

If you want to upgrade, I would recommend getting 1GB more RAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),