Anandtech 290x review, 780 killer, Titan's Rival, for $549

AraSarkisyan

Yeah, to be honest I am disappointed...

The Heat output is just too damn much for no reason!

I'm getting GTX 480 flashbacks... *shudders* 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Just gonna say this.

The Titan came out in February and the 780 in May. It's almost next year and AMD is releasing new cards. The AMD cards should damn hell perform better. If they didn't, it would show how AMD is suffering.

I am just excited till next year, wondering what I will be buying if it is going to be an AMD card or a Nvidia card. Just sold one of my GTX 680s for $650 so I have money to spend. :3 

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I just realized something....

Imagine this card in a Small Form Factor build such as a SteamMachine....

Loud, Hot, Glowing RED!

Hey, Look on the bright side (no pun intended) Who needs LED's and fancy case lighting when your GPU is making your case glow RED. It'll be neat to watch your desk catch on fire in the summer time :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I'm getting GTX 480 flashbacks... *shudders* 

Worse than 480 I fear...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I know that, ever 10 dB increase is a perceived doubling of the loudness which mean in terms of sound its only about 1.23 times louder than the titan or 1.53 times louder than a Titan. And the thing that u dont under stand is that u can still buy a waterblock for $100 which would make it quieter, cooler and perform better than a 780 by a large margin. This is still reference design wait for non-reference, amd has most been loud and hot with reference coolers.

So you should understand that your comment about a whisper is completely irrelevant. What percentage of people that buy this are going to watercool it? You CAN buy the waterblock but a huge majority won't. And I don't know why you even brought that up because I didn't say anything about it. I was just pointing out that your comment about sound was completely irrelevant and not even what people dislike about the card. It's the ridiculous temps with the reference cooler which will be fixed by non-reference designs.

Maybe they moved the crossfire bridges off of the card and onto the PCI bus because they would probably melt off or permanently fuse to the card due to the heat...

Smart move AMD, Always using your noggin :)

Hail Sithis!

And the thing that u dont under stand is that u can still buy a waterblock for $100 which would make it quieter, cooler and perform better than a 780 by a large margin. 

A $100 waterblock isn't nearly all you need to liquid cool a GPU. The VAST majority of people do not have the other components necessary to liquid cool a graphics card. Most people looking to liquid cool a 290X would be looking at spending a bare minimum of about $400 on liquid cooling parts alone (after the block, rad, pump, tubes, fittings, etc).

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

It's cheaper! YAY

It's a lot hotter! BOO

It doesn't overclock at all with the stock cooler! BOO

It's faster than the 780! YAY

It doesn't look as good as the 780! BOO

I am happy and disappointed at the same time :/

Well said :)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

So you should understand that your comment about a whisper is completely irrelevant. What percentage of people that buy this are going to watercool it? You CAN buy the waterblock but a huge majority won't. And I don't know why you even brought that up because I didn't say anything about it. I was just pointing out that your comment about sound was completely irrelevant and not even what people dislike about the card. It's the ridiculous temps with the reference cooler which will be fixed by non-reference designs.

Probably like 1 percent will watercool this thing. So anyone making that argument is just foolish. TTL said it could be months before 3rd party coolers can be implemented, which is suicide IMHO.

They took a long time to release this thing because they had to figure out pricing and such (supposedly) but now that the card is out, they are making all of the wrong decisions.

Hope it's just a rumor though. The only thing this has going for it is price IMHO. The 95C during games and the high idle temp isn't worth it if Nvidia drops the price on the 780.

*sigh*

Hail Sithis!

Well said :)

Why thank you :)

Hail Sithis!

A $100 waterblock isn't nearly all you need to liquid cool a GPU. The VAST majority of people do not have the other components necessary to liquid cool a graphics card. Most people looking to liquid cool a 290X would be looking at spending a bare minimum of about $400 on liquid cooling parts alone (after the block, rad, pump, tubes, fittings, etc).

Which shows what this guy thinks, a majority of the people run stock cards, only a small percentage actually watercool. Very small actually.

I know that, ever 10 dB increase is a perceived doubling of the loudness which mean in terms of sound its only about 1.23 times louder than the titan or 1.53 times louder than a Titan. And the thing that u dont under stand is that u can still buy a waterblock for $100 which would make it quieter, cooler and perform better than a 780 by a large margin. This is still reference design wait for non-reference, amd has most been loud and hot with reference coolers.

So how much extra is that going to cost? Wait, the price added on could buy you a Titan with about the same performance, less heat, less noise... Wait a minute, why didn't you think of that?

Probably like 1 percent will watercool this thing. So anyone making that argument is just foolish. TTL said it could be months before 3rd party coolers can be implemented, which is suicide IMHO.

They took a long time to release this thing because they had to figure out pricing and such (supposedly) but now that the card is out, they are making all of the wrong decisions.

Hope it's just a rumor though. The only thing this has going for it is price IMHO. The 95C during games and the high idle temp isn't worth it if Nvidia drops the price on the 780.

*sigh*

But think about that heat, you could just keep a pack of hot dogs and and just make a tin foil pan when you get hungry during gaming, no need to leave the game!

Which shows what this guy thinks, a majority of the people run stock cards, only a small percentage actually watercool. Very small actually.

So how much extra is that going to cost? Wait, the price added on could buy you a Titan with about the same performance, less heat, less noise... Wait a minute, why didn't you think of that?

But think about that heat, you could just keep a pack of hot dogs and and just make a tin foil pan when you get hungry during gaming, no need to leave the game!

I would get an MSI 780 Gaming card and OC the shit out of it.

The stock 290X OC's worth shit so it would probably get pwned by an OC'd 780.

guess we wait till non reference coolers launch (which could be months if the rumors are true :/)

Hail Sithis!

I would get an MSI 780 Gaming card and OC the shit out of it.

The stock 290X OC's worth shit so it would probably get pwned by an OC'd 780.

guess we wait till non reference coolers launch (which could be months if the rumors are true :/)

I've never messed with MSI cards, though I'm leaning towards them for my friends new system he wants me to build him. This is the South after all, and summers can be brutal. And which rumor, I'm bouncing through so many threads and web pages. TTL rumor or someone else?

I've never messed with MSI cards, though I'm leaning towards them for my friends new system he wants me to build him. This is the South after all, and summers can be brutal. And which rumor, I'm bouncing through so many threads and web pages. TTL rumor or someone else?

TTL said that there was a rumor that the non reference coolers could be postponed until December or January.

Hail Sithis!

TTL said that there was a rumor that the non reference coolers could be postponed until December or January.

Oh man, that is just going to hurt AMD if they did that. Though it all depends when AMD gave the venders cards to play with, I am assuming. New PCB and chip means redesigns.

Oh man, that is just going to hurt AMD if they did that. Though it all depends when AMD gave the venders cards to play with, I am assuming. New PCB and chip means redesigns.

Well that's AMD's fault if they didn't get the card design out in time (Which I doubt happened) but they would be shooting themselves in the foot...

Hail Sithis!

They sold out at one of our online retailers before I could purchase any.... -.-

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

They sold out at one of our online retailers before I could purchase any.... -.-

*Hugs

Hail Sithis!

*Hugs

THEY JUST CAME BACK INTO STOCK!!  

ORDERED AND PAYED!!!

Bye bye 5450.... You will NOT be missed....  -_-

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

It's cheaper! YAY

It's a lot hotter! BOO

It doesn't overclock at all with the stock cooler! BOO

It's faster than the 780! YAY

It doesn't look as good as the 780! BOO

I am happy and disappointed at the same time :/

Slap a waterblock on it :P

3 BOOs to 3 YAYs for an overall faptastic card

Yeah, the performance is way up there for it's price as a single-GPU card, only thing holding it back now is the crappy stock cooler!

Edit: Fix'd to make sentence more accurate for people who can't read between the lines.

Slap a waterblock on it :P

3 BOOs to 3 YAYs for an overall faptastic card

Yeah, the performance is way up there, only thing holding it back now is the crappy stock cooler!

Yeah, pay 400 dollars to get a watercooled system.... NAH

Hail Sithis!

THEY JUST CAME BACK INTO STOCK!!  

ORDERED AND PAYED!!!

Bye bye 5450.... You will NOT be missed....  -_-

Sweet!

Hail Sithis!

Yeah, pay 400 dollars to get a watercooled system.... NAH

You can always just grab a H220 and expand the loop to include the GPU... Fully watercooled systems are mostly for show but to achieve similar performance you don't need to fork out as much.

Yeah, the performance is way up there, only thing holding it back now is the crappy stock cooler!

huh? way up there?  the performance is exceedingly average, the price is excellent no arguments there but I wouldn't call 5-10% for a card that is almost half a year behind "way up there". I was hoping to swap to AMD with the new card out, but I am not seeing too many compelling reasons.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm skimming the PCPer review, because its super early and my back is killing me, but a few lines jump out at me right away. They do show improvements, but also the weaknesses of the card. Probably one of the best reviews as it really tests the card.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-CrossFire-and-4K-Preview-Testing

It seems SLI vs Crossfire isn't that huge of a deal when it comes to the 290x vs 780, or at least from what I am reading in my pain med induced sleepy state.