Anandtech 290x review, 780 killer, Titan's Rival, for $549

AraSarkisyan

So basically, it is what we expected, and more. first of all, it's 90% of the time beating the 780. It goes toe to toe with the Titan and even beats SLI 780s @ 4k resolutions (and even beats the Almighty Titan with its 6gb of Vram @ 4k)
however, the 780 and titan both beat it in terms of cooling and power consumption, however, the cooling part can be easily fixed by buying a aftermarket card, or watercooling it. I found tiny Tom Logan's review to be, pretty much, biased up the ass. his review is the only review that I have seen like that. MAybe he just got a bad card? I dont know. 

you guys let's not forget that MANTLE isn't being used in the benchmarks and that these are RELEASE drivers, which AMD are known to fuck up. g'night. Also, it's FREARKING 450 DOLLARS LESS THAN A TITAN AND TRADES BLOWS WITH IT. 

on average it was 5-8fps better than the 780 @ 1080p and 1440p and took off at higher resolution.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19

Edited by Dim
Font size
This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I can't vote right now, because of temperatures. If AMD releases R9 290x with non reference models and will have better temperatures, then of course it is better option than 780 both for it's price and performance, but if they don't do that, then my vote for 780. Maybe some users don't care about temps, but I do.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I can't vote right now, because of temperatures. If AMD releases R9 290x with non reference models and will have better temperatures, then of course it is better option than 780, but if they don't do that, then my vote for 780

yeah, im waiting for a windforce one of these

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

As I have already mentioned in another thread, those  temps are just too high. I fear for what it runs at during the summer. Let the venders use their own damn coolers AMD!... This does get me excited to see what Nvidia's response is going to be though. With the announcement of the 780TI, I'm pretty sure we'll see price drops soon :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

yeah, im waiting for a windforce one of these

doubt they will get temps off by a huge numbers

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

As I have already mentioned in another thread, those  temps are just too high. I fear for what it runs at during the summer. Let the venders use their own damn coolers AMD!... This does get me excited to see what Nvidia's response is going to be though. With the announcement of the 780TI, I'm pretty sure we'll see price drops soon :P

at the summer you can cook with it some eggs, bacon and fish

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

I like how Anandtech has benchmarks for 2K, 2.5K and 4K.  But pretty high temps. I need to get a Twin Frozr version whenever that comes out.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

doubt they will get temps off by a huge numbers

they will. they have in the past. 

I like how Anandtech has benchmarks for 2K, 2.5K and 4K.  But pretty high temps. I need to get a Twin Frozr version whenever that comes out.

exactly. 

they will. they have in the past. 

from 95c to 60c is what i want to see

oc it during the summer and you have the Sun!

from 95c to 60c is what i want to see

well we better see it or AMD wont make any money. 

oc it during the summer and you have the Sun!

and you will have a BBQ ready for action!

Honestly I would never allow this in my rig unless it had a water block. I'm not willing to raise my room temps by 15 degrees F just for a graphics card. Not to mention a complete lack of room to overclock :/

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

and you will have a BBQ ready for action!

I can alreaedy see the ads, 

'"AMD r9-290x, the world's first bbq and graphic card combo unit"

Honestly I would never allow this in my rig unless it had a water block. I'm not willing to raise my room temps by 15 degrees F just for a graphics card. Not to mention a complete lack of room to overclock :/

yeah but its so cheap you can buy a waterblock for it and itll be the same price as a 780! plus it comes with bf4

well we better see it or AMD wont make any money. 

amd part is %90 done

%90 includes: low price

outperform 780 and sometimes the titan

releasing it

remaining %10:

keep updating the drivers to lower temps and

LESS STUTTERING FOR FUK SAKE

amd part is %90 done

%90 includes: low price

outperform 780 and sometimes the titan

releasing it

remaining %10:

keep updating the drivers to lower temps and less

STUTTERING FOR FUK SAKE

no stuttering according to an and tech! its only the temps we need to fix!

no stuttering according to an and tech! its only the temps we need to fix!

Really O.o? got any source or maybe quote them? i dont recall reading such thing

Even with a water block, that extra wattage heat output doesn't magically disappear. If a GPU is running hotter by default, watercooling is just more efficient at removing it from the GPU die and pushing it into the ambient air.

That said, anyone whining about the heat or fan noise, if you're spending realistically $600+ on a video card you're probably going to be using a non-reference card with a better cooling system, or watercooling it anyway.

It's a great release for the market and owners on both sides. The only people sour about this should be those that just paid full price for 780's or bought a titan recently.

Even with a water block, that extra wattage heat output doesn't magically disappear. If a GPU is running hotter by default, watercooling is just more efficient at removing it from the GPU die and pushing it into the ambient air.

That said, anyone whining about the heat or fan noise, if you're spending realistically $600+ on a video card you're probably going to be using a non-reference card with a better cooling system, or watercooling it anyway.

It's a great release for the market and owners on both sides. The only people sour about this should be those that just paid full price for 780's or bought a titan recently.

yes, but itll run super cool on water and who buys a reference card for 550 bucks1 that's what ive been trying to say everywhere!

I am on green team still for my rigs and my personal title will tell you all you need to know about why I stick with them.  I would want the GTX 780 or the GTX 780 Ti.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Yup. This is the most concerning part. I can understand a card that goes to 94C in FurMark, but 94C in gaming?! I would be sweating if I saw those temps. The price and performance we see in the benchmarks is great though. I'm sure non-reference coolers will keep this card to more reasonable levels.

Do you realize how many people are running Titans and 780s as is? It's completely realistic to expect people to run the card as they got it from the box. Otherwise they should just sell it as a bare PCB.

yeah but that's because the 780 cooler looks amazing and is pretty decent