Why You Should Clean Your PC And Power Supply Especially When You Have a Shedding Animal

SuperShermanTanker

so I have a friend who also builds PCs and his PC stopped working and he thought his power supply broke, and he has a ca (you guys know where this is going) so he went to microcenter and bought a new power supply and I went over his house to visit and he gave me the old one which I popped off the cover and to check the capacitors (I know not to touch anything on the inside) and poof a big flat layer just covering the exhaust like a filter fell off the power supply and I immediately asked my friend for a can of compressed air and I blew out the cat hair and dust and I looked and nothing was fried and capacitors were all nice and flat on top so nothing was blown so I asked my friend if I can keep it since he was going to throw it out anyway and I brought it home hooked it up to a Acer desktop I have with a Athlon 64x2 and 8600gt and poof it works and since the machine booted with a 95 watt CPU and however power hungry a 8600gt I'm guessing imbetween 65-75 watts because of the lack of a 6pin power connector and I ran Crysis the most demanding game I can run on that machine and it still works no crash or power cut or sudden shut down. It turns out the power supply just thermally shut down to protect itself from all the cat hair and dust clogging it and it looks like now I have a nice Thermaltake power supply 500 watts too and reading the power distrobution on the side most of the power is on the 12 volt rail where most of the power is needed and the capacitors for the mains side of the power supply are LG branded so they look like good caps soooo I got a working good power supply now...

14890004_705286502967467_7658201164792914448_o.jpg

14902930_705286406300810_7784232695002699960_o.jpg

14917037_705286456300805_6204884948854356896_o.jpg

The machine used to test the PSU to see if it still worked:

14917207_705292062966911_7851444309633568242_o.jpg

Holy crap, there was only one full stop in that entire paragraph :P

This is why I clean my PC thoroughly every month.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Pics really don't seem to show a lot of dust or hair tbh. 

I've got no shedding pets and 2 air purifiers in my room and everything gets dusty really quick 

Nice save man!

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

Pics really don't seem to show a lot of dust or hair tbh. 

I've got no shedding pets and 2 air purifiers in my room and everything gets dusty really quick 

The pics were taken after it was cleaned and brought home and tested if I had pics of it when it was dusty I would have posted them but those are all the pics I have if you look carefully you might see some remnants that the air can didn't blow out

I thankfully dont have tjat issue with my pc, but my dog hair penetrates my two desktops and laptop 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Oh god that specific thermaltake power supply is horrible to begin with.

You take the lead for the longest run-on sentence I've seen on the forum.

I don't really see that much dust to , some before pics would be great. I do have cats myself, even my PC and server on a raised table, they get covered in crap pretty quick and need a thorough cleaning.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

The pics were taken after it was cleaned and brought home and tested if I had pics of it when it was dusty I would have posted them but those are all the pics I have if you look carefully you might see some remnants that the air can didn't blow out

Ah I see, I was just assuming you where gonna post pics of before. My fault 

Cleaning is always the best option, pets or no pets :p. Even better is if it is made in a controlled environment, which usually is not available, but some folks do have i suppose.

Luckly, i got people that clean my computer at no charge ^^.

Groomlake Authority

6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

You take the lead for the longest run-on sentence I've seen on the forum.

I don't really see that much dust to , some before pics would be great. I do have cats myself, even my PC and server on a raised table, they get covered in crap pretty quick and need a thorough cleaning.

yah sorry for the run on sentence typed it quickly without checking I'll reformat it when I get a chance to sit down and look at it. My friend does clean his PC I'm just guessing he missed the power supply and luckally it did have a thermal sensor in it to shut itself off to protect itself. Also that's one reason why you buy good quality power supplys, so they have all the safety features and protections.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Really from the looks of the design and capacitors used it doesn't look too bad. I'm not a electrial engeneer or someone who knows alot about eletrical design and componentry, but one thing I can say is that it's definately not the worst power supply I have seen in terms of build quality and quality of components used.

13 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

This Apevia power supply is definately worse just look at the brand of caps used

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yep, animal hair gets inside of everything.

Big issue when there is two cats and a small dog inside plus living out in peanut and cotton field country area.  The amount of dust and hair gets pretty nuts.  Reason I tend to clean mine every other week.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

19 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Really from the looks of the design and capacitors used it doesn't look too bad. I'm not a electrial engeneer or someone who knows alot about eletrical design and componentry, but one thing I can say is that it's definately not the worst power supply I have seen in terms of build quality and quality of components used.

Mine went to shit pretty quickly, a lot of them do too.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Mine went to shit pretty quickly, a lot of them do too.

Well the specific unit I have already outlived it's 5 year warranty

1 hour ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I have a bordercolie that hangs out with me all the time and he always lays against my computer when I'm gaming or whatever. Plus, he sleeps on my bed with me so don't get me started with sheadding pets... good thing he is a good dog. One time after working out, I came home to him with his head inside of my computer since I forgot to put the side panel back on. He basically feel asleep smelling the inside of my computer... mind you guys bordercolie's shead like crazy.

At home I have a cat and he likes to come into my office and try to get my attention to pet him and I have 2 PCs in my office one that has a nice Silverstone case that has all the intakes and even the top exhaust covered with filters and the other PC being a ITX PC that I use for LAN parties and as a spare PC and the ITX one only has a dust filter on the PSU intake so the GPU and CPU heatsinks eventually build up cat hair and dust after a few weeks but my office is not that bad since my cat doesn't sleep or hang out in my office

20161101_222249546_iOS.jpg

20161101_222306221_iOS.jpg