Quadro and GeForce in one machine?

BlargKing

So I'm trying to figure out how to make my computer great for both gaming and professional editing. I play a lot of pretty demanding games, but as I'm going through digital media college, I'm also wanting a computer that can do professional tasks like photography, video editing, color grading, and illustration. So heres my conundrum, I wan't to put 2 GeForce 1080's in my machine for gaming, and also for developing VR games. GeForce cards to the best of my knowledge, don't output 10-bit color in professional applications, which means I would need a Quadro for doing my professional work, and a Quadro isn't ideal for the gaming side of things.

Would it be possible to run 2 1080's and a Quadro M4000 in the same machine under the same instance of Windows? My idea would be to run the 1080's in SLI and output to a gaming type monitor, and then have the Quadro connected to a professional 10-bit type monitor. 

If it isn't possible, the only other thing I can think of is having 2 separate hard drives, each with a unique install of Windows, and have the Quadro drivers on one and the GeForce drivers on the other, however this would be cumbersome as I would have to reboot my machine each time I wanted to change tasks. 

Heres my current rig in case it helps:

- Core i7 5960X Octa-core

-16GB DDR4-2133 Quad Channel

-ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

-1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

-4 1TB WD Black HDDs in RAID o

-GeForce 780 Ti EVGA Superclocked Edition

-1000 Watt Corsair RM PSU

-Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case

Building two separate PC's isn't really viable financially or physically as I have very limited space for my setup. 

I know similar questions have been asked about pairing Quadros and GeForce cards, but all the information I can find is several years old now. 

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, BlargKing said:

So I'm trying to figure out how to make my computer great for both gaming and professional editing. I play a lot of pretty demanding games, but as I'm going through digital media college, I'm also wanting a computer that can do professional tasks like photography, video editing, color grading, and illustration. So heres my conundrum, I wan't to put 2 GeForce 1080's in my machine for gaming, and also for developing VR games. GeForce cards to the best of my knowledge, don't output 10-bit color in professional applications, which means I would need a Quadro for doing my professional work, and a Quadro isn't ideal for the gaming side of things.

Would it be possible to run 2 1080's and a Quadro M4000 in the same machine under the same instance of Windows? My idea would be to run the 1080's in SLI and output to a gaming type monitor, and then have the Quadro connected to a professional 10-bit type monitor. 

If it isn't possible, the only other thing I can think of is having 2 separate hard drives, each with a unique install of Windows, and have the Quadro drivers on one and the GeForce drivers on the other, however this would be cumbersome as I would have to reboot my machine each time I wanted to change tasks. 

Heres my current rig in case it helps:

- Core i7 5960X Octa-core

-16GB DDR4-2133 Quad Channel

-ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1

-1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

-4 1TB WD Black HDDs in RAID o

-GeForce 780 Ti EVGA Superclocked Edition

-1000 Watt Corsair RM PSU

-Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case

Building two separate PC's isn't really viable financially or physically as I have very limited space for my setup. 

I know similar questions have been asked about pairing Quadros and GeForce cards, but all the information I can find is several years old now. 

Thanks for the help!

that octa core must be crying itself to sleep every night that it has to work with a fcking 780 ti

and yes u can sli 2 1080

u can run three 1080s if u want

Just now, SwiftXShadow said:

that octa core must be crying itself to sleep every night that it has to work with a fcking 780 ti

Broken english? Check

Didn't answer the question? Check

Shitting on perfectly fine hardware? Check

Congrats on the quality shitpost. 

single geforce card should be more than capable for your renders
which programs are you going to be using

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also don't run raid0 of 4 drives, that is stupid.

I back it up frequently. I've been running it for years its never flaked out on me. 

Broken english? Check

Didn't answer the question? Check

Shitting on perfectly fine hardware? Check

Congrats on the quality shitpost. 

clearly you do not understand enough of hardware to understand what i even said.

Next to a powerhouse octa core like that, that 780ti is total crap and probably bottlenecks it like crazy.

95% of people dream of a CPU like that.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a single geforce card. 

I want 2 of them to use the GPU horsepower for rendering in Blender. 

clearly you do not understand enough of hardware to understand what i even said.

Next to a powerhouse octa core like that, that 780ti is total crap and probably bottlenecks it like crazy.

I understand plenty about hardware thanks, The 780 Ti would only bottleneck the CPU if the CPU had to wait for the GPU to finish a task. Up until recently the 5960X and 780 Ti handled everything perfectly fine, just now with VR the 780 Ti is no longer sufficient. 

i though Blender used CPU? well i cant say i used it much tbh i really hated the few minutes iv used it lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, BlargKing said:

I understand plenty about hardware thanks, The 780 Ti would only bottleneck the CPU if the CPU had to wait for the GPU to finish a task. Up until recently the 5960X and 780 Ti handled everything perfectly fine, just now with VR the 780 Ti is no longer sufficient. 

they can handel everything fine, it does not mean that the GPU does not bottleneck the CPU.

It is basically holding back that CPUs insane potential.

And i already told you in the first reply that yes  u can run two 1080s at the same time.

Though just so your awear, in like January or so they will release 1080ti which will be a LOT better then the 1080. But also cost 300-400$/€ more. But you  do not seem to care how much they cost, so you might aswell wait. 

Or even wait for the new titan X that is said to also come in January. New titan X should be like 1200$/€

You wouldn't be able to run SLI if the program needs it, but it should work depending on how it is setup? You will have to use two monitors one for the 10 bit color, and another to run the 1080 for gaming.

But the 1080s have support 10bit color. So the quadro is unnessesary.

http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2510043&p=1

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

But the 1080s have support 10bit color. So the quadro is unnessesary.

Only for directx programs. 

For stuff like photoshop, you still need a quadro.

1 hour ago, SwiftXShadow said:

they can handel everything fine, it does not mean that the GPU does not bottleneck the CPU.

It is basically holding back that CPUs insane potential.

And i already told you in the first reply that yes  u can run two 1080s at the same time.

The question wasn't about running 2 1080s at the same time it was about running 2 1080s along side a Quadro. 

1 hour ago, SwiftXShadow said:

Though just so your awear, in like January or so they will release 1080ti which will be a LOT better then the 1080. But also cost 300-400$/€ more. But you  do not seem to care how much they cost, so you might aswell wait. 

Or even wait for the new titan X that is said to also come in January. New titan X should be like 1200$/€

I'll probably wait for the 1080 TI then. Titans performance per dollar isn't as good as the 1080's. Right now I could get two 1080's for the price of a single Titan X pascal. 

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i though Blender used CPU? well i cant say i used it much tbh i really hated the few minutes iv used it lol

You can configure Blender to use GPU rendering. Even with 1 modest GPU its much faster than CPU rendering, and Blender can use as many cards as you can put into a machine. The law of diminishing returns does still apply though, so for me, two 1080's is a good sweet spot.

I'll probably wait for the 1080 TI then. Titans performance per dollar isn't as good as the 1080's. Right now I could get two 1080's for the price of a single Titan X pascal. 

like i said even the 1080ti will probably get a big price boost like 200-300$/€ more then 1080. But it will also be a lot fater and 12GB vram instead of 8

Titan x will prolly be their best card after release and 1080ti between then titanx and 1080

like i said even the 1080ti will probably get a big price boost like 200-300$/€ more then 1080. But it will also be a lot fater and 12GB vram instead of 8

And it will still be better value for two of them than a single Titan.

1 minute ago, BlargKing said:

And that link is just about running 2 Quadro cards in SLI, it says nothing about running a GeForce series card along side a Quadro card in a non-sli configuration.

I thought i was the same thing