4K 12-inch tablets are going to be a thing and Japan Display can prove it

mgsstar

The unified forces behind Japan Display (including Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi) have announced that they've squeezed 4K resolution (3,840 x 2,160) into a 12.1-inch TFT module, creating a screen with a retina-piercing 365 pixels per inch.

20131023_b.jpg 

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/23/japan-display-4k-tablet-lcd/

http://www.j-display.com/news/2013/20131023_2.html

This is pretty cool but hope that this is power efficient enough to not require a bigger battery in order to power this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It will only be 25mm thick with a laptop processor with Iris. Also a laptop battery. Costs only 5000 dollars!

Quote me to get a reply!

Get 4k to be the standard on desktop monitors NOT tablets and phones :(

This will be a step in the way to start the shrinking of 4k monitors.

Quote me to get a reply!

This will be a step in the way to start the shrinking of 4k monitors.

but i want a 4k monitor for my desktop NOW!

Get 4k to be the standard on desktop monitors NOT tablets and phones :(

most ppl dont use desktops anymore hence why th demand is slow and why the 1440p monitors are pricey as fuk

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

most ppl dont use desktops anymore hence why th demand is slow and why the 1440p monitors are pricey as fuk

Also the cost of production is still higher.  Like all new technology there has to be the right balance between supply, demand and production cost before you see the monitors you want become cheaper.

It would be silly of them to stop developing smaller screens.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It will only be 25mm thick with a laptop processor with Iris. Also a laptop battery. Costs only 5000 dollars!

And a laptop temp! :P

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

team IGZO

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

And a laptop temp! :P

My laptop only hit about 83-85 when play BF3. Of course after I had it cleaned out. About a 10-15 degree drop in temps!

Quote me to get a reply!

Vote with your wallet and buy all of them at 3.4k each. You may even get a discount to 3.0-3.2k if you buy over a 100!

Quote me to get a reply!

4K needs to become more prevalent in the desktop first, but hey, if this moves monitor manufacturers to make affordable 4K displays, then I'm all for it. 

COMIC SANS

Dang was just about to post this. Ye its pretty cool, and will hopfully drive 4k prices down. Gotta think about the battery life of these things as well, I dont think the CPU technology is quite there for 4k to be fully function with adamant battery life yet.

Heres Toms Hardwares article on this for further reading if anyone's interested

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/japan-display-4k-tablet-screen,24833.html#xtor=RSS-181

yet most 13 inch laptops are under 1080p :angry:  FFS...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Cmon you can do it, add a little stand on the bottom, make it 24 inch and all the monitor ports and plugs, then we have a deal

20131023_b.jpg

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer