Mantle or Gsync for Gaming?

Hi guys,

hope you can see my system under this comment...

so im planning to buy a new gpu and im not sure if it should be the 770 (330€) or the 280x (250€). because im not sure what the better technology is mantle api or gsync monitors.

so is it worth to spend 80€ more on the gpu and like 200€ for a new 24" monitor just to have that gsync?

all i understand from gsync (my english is not the best) was that it optimizes the connection between gpu and monitor so that you have less lag and stuttering. but is there a difference when you are <60fps all the time?

thanks for your help

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Hi guys,

hope you can see my system under this comment...

so im planning to buy a new gpu and im not sure if it should be the 770 (330€) or the 280x (250€). because im not sure what the better technology is mantle api or gsync monitors.

so is it worth to spend 80€ more on the gpu and like 200€ for a new 24" monitor just to have that gsync?

all i understand from gsync (my english is not the best) was that it optimizes the connection between gpu and monitor so that you have less lag and stuttering. but is there a difference when you are <60fps all the time?

thanks for your help

60 fps all the time? G-sync eliminates the need for Vsync. Just get a high refresh monitor and whatever GPU is killing the benchmarks at the time.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Again you cant compare gsync (Nsync) to mantle. Thats Apples to dirt. Mantle wont be an api that will be used very often and i highly doubt that it will give much of an increase in performance. Just choose what sounds best p/p.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

i know that i cant compare them but im trying to figure out what fits best to me. and mantle will be in bf4 which is enough for me :D

we will see how big or not big the performance difference is

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I wouldn't choose based on any of them.

1) There currently isn't any indication whether G-sync will benefit Oculus Rift (?) in any way

2) Mantle, while a commendable effort, has been said by many developers to not be in widespread use and if it ever becomes heavily used, it will be further in the future, when you're probably soon to upgrade anyway. (5+ years, which is the default turnaround time for the industry at large)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Mantle = Better FPS but screens can still Lag, stutter, tear 

G-sync = less lag, no tearing and stutter. 

If you can get more than 60 FPs using G-sync you are golden. 

Also just to make it clear G-sync and Mantle can never really be compared for the FF reasons:

1) Mantle is software, G-sync is Hardware

2) Mantle address codes and communication, G -sync addresses communication between the monitor and the GPU

Mind you that something to take into consideration is your screen EVEN IF you are using a AMD solution. if your screen is at 60 herts, MAX FPS OUTPUTED REGARDLESS OF FRAPS or other Counting software is limited but the refresh rates of the monitor. 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

1) There currently isn't any indication whether G-sync will benefit Oculus Rift (?) in any way

I think they said G-Sync won't be on oculus the first time around (technical limitations that needs to be overcome), but judging from how enthusiastic Carmack was about G-Sync and what he had to say about it (basically that it would be way more important to have something like that in something like oculus than it would be to have it on a regular monitor), I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. 

Well basically g-sync reduces lag, stuttering and tearing on your screen by having the monitor adapt to the framerate outputted by your graphics card.  This will allow for significantly smoother gameplay even at a lower framerate.  Mantle on the other hand, is supposed to increase the performance of AMD cards.  So in theory you would have smoother gameplay via a software solution that boosts framerates.  You can't really compare them, but you can consider the fact that G-sync works provided you have a kepler gpu and a monitor with the g-sync chip; i.e. it will work no matter what game or scenario.  Mantle will only work with games whose developers have chosen to implement it.  Last thing to note: G-sync isn't tangible from benchmarks because it does not increase the performance of your gpu, just makes your game smoother, so don't just pick the card that is the best on benchmarks.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I think they said G-Sync won't be on oculus the first time around (technical limitations that needs to be overcome), but judging from how enthusiastic Carmack was about G-Sync and what he had to say about it (basically that it would be way more important to have something like that in something like oculus than it would be to have it on a regular monitor), I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. 

That would be the feeling I had as well. Which is why G-sync is kind of a "soft" reason for me to go Nvidia this time, but Shadowplay is the "real" reason :P

Well basically g-sync reduces lag, stuttering and tearing on your screen by having the monitor adapt to the framerate outputted by your graphics card.  This will allow for significantly smoother gameplay even at a lower framerate.  Mantle on the other hand, is supposed to increase the performance of AMD cards.  So in theory you would have smoother gameplay via software solution.  You can't really compare them, but you can consider the fact that G-sync works provided you have a kepler gpu and a monitor with the g-sync chip; i.e. it will work no matter what game or scenario.  Mantle will only work with games whose developers have chosen to implement it.  Last thing to note: G-sync isn't tangible from benchmarks because it does not increase the performance of your gpu, just makes your game smoother, so don't just pick the card that is the best on benchmarks.

Precisely. So I guess the distinction between them in the future will be:

AMD: Potentially better frame rates

Nvidia: Better end user experience (but higher investment cost)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

to make it clear i will be ever over 60fps and my monitor is 75herts. i know that can only display 75fps but there is no difference between 75 and 60 but i just want to make sure that its never under 60. and i dont care about oculus i just want to play battlefield and mantle will be in bf4 so that is an option for me!

Precisely. So I guess the distinction between them in the future will be:

AMD: Potentially better frame rates

Nvidia: Better end user experience (but higher investment cost)

Exactly!  Mantle is a gamble, that may or may not pay off for users.  Also Shadowplay is awesome as you said.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

to make it clear i will be ever over 60fps and my monitor is 75herts. i know that can only display 75fps but there is no difference between 75 and 60 but i just want to make sure that its never under 60. and i dont care about oculus i just want to play battlefield and mantle will be in bf4 so that is an option for me!

OK cool, then for you, buying an AMD card would seem to make more sense, in the current landscape. Plus, it's cheaper :)

OK cool, then for you, buying an AMD card would seem to make more sense, in the current landscape. Plus, it's cheaper :)

thats what i want to hear :D

I'm not againt the idea of mantle but when comparing it to a solution such as "the proposed" idea of Gsync (until we see performance reviews and benchmarks) it makes no sense to say that mantle is the better solution. I'm an nVidia user but I have no qualms against either company so please do not take this as a statment that nVidia is better over AMD or the vice.

What I'm getting at is that you should just choose the better solutino for you regardless of the company. If that happens to be AMD that's great, we all know they crank about hard hitting cards and depending on the tier they usually have higher a higher bus interface and sometimes more on board memory.

I would say that you can look at it like this:

You grab your AMD card, utilize mantle where it's available, and then you still have Gsync to fall back on later to smooth out your visual experience on the monitor itself.

This is dependent of course on everything working as intended, just remember that gsync is essentially a hardware fix with no software other than a GUI with possible macros.

are you going to play games that support mantle? go for amd

or you not going to play games that support mantle and are in the market for a new monitor? go for Gsync

if no of the options apply to you just check your favorite games and what FPS you are able to get with those cards, then choose the best one that fits on your budget.

also wait until r9 290x witch is about to be released any day now.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

for me gsync i hate stuttering/tearing

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel