Obama Considers ‘Proportional’ Response to Russian Hacking in U.S. Election

Article from New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/us/politics/obama-russia-hack-election.html?_r=0

GREENSBORO, N.C. — President Obama is weighing a “proportional” response to Russia’s efforts to interfere with this fall’s election campaign through hacking, the White House announced Tuesday.

“The president has talked before about the significant capabilities that the U.S. government has to both defend our systems in the United States but also carry out offensive operations in other countries,” Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, told reporters traveling with Mr. Obama onAir Force One to Greensboro, where he was holding a town hall-style meeting with students and campaigning for Hillary Clinton.

“There are a range of responses that are available to the president, and he will consider a response that is proportional,” Mr. Earnest said.

Whatever the president opts to do would probably not be announced in advance and may never be acknowledged or disclosed if it is carried out, Mr. Earnest said.

On Friday, the Obama administration publicly acknowledged for the first time that it believed that the Russian government was responsible for stealing and disclosing emails from the Democratic National Committee and a range of other institutions and prominent individuals, most recentlyHillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, John D. Podesta. The emails were posted on the well-known WikiLeaks site and two newer sites,DCLeaks.com and Guccifer 2.0.

“Only Russia’s senior-most officials could have authorized these activities,” said a statement from the director of national intelligence, James R. Clapper Jr., and the Department of Homeland Security. The statement did not name President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but that appeared to be the intention.

Emails from the Democratic National Committee appeared to show party officials conspiring to sabotage the campaign of Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, leading to the resignation of Debbie Wasserman Schultz as chairwoman and the departure of several staff members from the organization.

Much of the Russian efforts in the election appear directed at undermining the campaigns of Mrs. Clinton and other Democrats. Donald J. Trump, the Republican nominee, has called Mr. Putin a better leader than Mr. Obama and suggested a more collaborative relationship between the United States and Russia.

Is US going to respond by a state sponsored hack too? That ain't good.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Is US going to respond by a state sponsored hack too? That ain't good.

I would assume so.  Stuxnet anyone? xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Obama...what a disgrace he is. PNP.....what a Joke.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

To Obama

to the matter at hand 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm for cutting Russia from the internet, they surely wanted to do it themselves and failed a couple of times

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm for cutting Russia from the internet, they surely wanted to do it themselves and failed a couple of times

Stop watch msnbc dude....its not good for you.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Sounds good to me.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I'd love an email to leak about this Russia hack thing being a farce, though I don't think the administration is stupid to be going into details like that on their emails for the time being nor do I actually know the source of the hacks, however the info they contain is eye opening enough for me to not care.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'd love an email to leak about this Russia hack thing being a farce, though I don't think the administration is stupid to be going into details like that on their emails for the time being nor do I actually know the source of the hacks, however the info they contain is eye opening enough for me to not care.

If any of it is eye opening you probably weren't paying attention before. Almost all of the reveals have been known for years, decades even, they just never hit the mainstream.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 minutes ago, Centurius said:

they just never hit the mainstream.

Yes but now that they are mainstream I'm no longer considered a conspiracy nut by normies for stating things about the government they don't believe is true.

I've never trusted the government to begin with, just now we have hard proof of their stupidity, corruption, and misdeeds that we did not have before.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yes but now that they are mainstream I'm no longer considered a conspiracy nut by normies for stating things about the government they don't believe is true.

I've never trusted the government to begin with, just now we have hard proof of their stupidity, corruption, and misdeeds that we did not have before.

That's the thing though it wasn't just conspiracy nuts. Anyone who just kept informed in general knew about even the shadiest stuff. It just doesn't matter a lot in the grand picture.

My Build:

Spoiler

Guy 1:  **Stabs person to death in his private property**

Guy2 : *photographs guy1 stabbing event, without asking his permission*

Guy 1 : photographer should be hanged for the crimes he committed for doing so  **media goes on a rampant bezerk over the guy2**

Details separate people.

51 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Guy 1:  **Stabs person to death in his private property**

Guy2 : *photographs guy1 stabbing event, without asking his permission*

Guy 1 : photographer should be hanged for the crimes he committed for doing so  **media goes on a rampant bezerk over the guy2**

Bit more complicated than that though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The USA government is just one big bundle of lies, and USA mainstream news is just one big bundle of propaganda. In North Korea, all propaganda props up their leader. In the USA, the propaganda is meant to prop up whatever actions the collective psychopath demographic is doing. In both places, the propaganda is the same level of BS, and in both places, it seems that the majority populace reactively conforms to their nations' propaganda with great determination, as if their senses of self-worth and meaningfulness depends upon the propaganda being true. But, both places' propaganda is completely unjustified shit.

How can the USA government and media, which lied itself into war with Iraq, and which is in the business of destabilizing governments and creating wars as well as terrorist groups, and the political party which rigged its primary vote just months ago, be trusted in anything that they say?

The most recent banter from the USA concerning Russian bombings in Syria was to deflect domestic public attention away from the fact that the USA had just (in violation of their agreements) bombed the Syrian army and allowed ISIS to advance and take further territory (whether deliberate by the USA or not).

I guess that's still not as bad as the USA-led coalition deliberately targeting and attacking civilians in Syria following the attacks in Nice, France:

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/french-air-force-avenges-nice-massacre-kills-100-civilians-pictures/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/war-against-isis-us-led-coalition-accused-of-killing-civilians-using-scorched-earth-policy-in-syria-a7174736.html

How come the USA never talks war crimes when they're the ones that commit them, such as their coalition did in the above instance, and such as the invasion of Iraq and much of everything that's happened in it since, has been. How about when USA allies commit war-crimes using weapons the USA gave them?

How come the USA criticizes other nations for attacking terrorists aggressively, but doesn't criticize itself for creating, training, and equipping those terrorist groups?: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/03/us-isis-syria-iraq?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

http://www.globalresearch.ca/america-created-al-qaeda-and-the-isis-terror-group/5402881

How come the USA claims to defend democracy internationally, but then justifies to itself its efforts to overthrow the democratically-elected governments and leaders in (former) nations such as Ukraine and Syria, and many others as well?: https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

The obvious reality is that there is no rationale behind what the USA does and says, beyond it wanting to make whatever it wants to happen anywhere in the world, so that the USA government can selfishly exploit the outcome, at the expense of the people who live in the places that the USA turns into chaos.

Commentary: The world's best cyber army doesn’t belong to Russia

Commentary: The real reason Washington calls Putin a thug

Everything that comes from the USA government is a hypocrisy, a deflection, a lie, and / or doublespeak. The only thing that the USA government, and mainstream USA media can be trusted to be, is comprehensively dishonest.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

again like Trump said about Mosul, WHY THE FUCK are you telling them what you are going to do fucking retard Obama, do it and shut the fk up you think Putin is scared by your words, by the contrary hes laughing 

Gotta love US. Something bad happens in the world including in the US - let's blame Russia. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Meanwhile the U.S. is still funding Al Qaeda, Al-Nusra(ISIS Sect), and the FSA in an attempt to overthrow Assad.  But we're at war with them, we say, they're evil people, we say, meanwhile we fund them for our own foreign policy games in the name of Israel.

Meanwhile.. in Government controlled Damascus, ruled by Bashar Al Assad, the most 'evil' man in the world for violently suppressing 'peaceful' extremists all across Syria.  Behold the people he oppresses!

CqaP_PYWEAAvAqh.jpg

These people must be liberated!  U.S. has to free them!  Begin democracy program, prepare the missiles!  How dare they live happy and free without democracy and corporations!

Oh please...i realy hope the last Years were enough for US Citizens to wake up....:(

This is the same administration that didn't care about our countless US-based corporations having their billions of dollars spent on R&D stolen by the Chinese state-sponsored hackers. Now we're supposed to care when (purportedly!) it is the Russians who have hacked the DNC/voting system. 

That's what happens when you only care about things that hit too close to home. People don't take you seriously, and the Russians and Chinese amongst many others don't give a royal poop about what Obama or his impotent advisors think.

This administration (and all prior for that matter) have never put together a cohesive plan to combat cyber attacks, nor have they ever forced the hand of a foreign government to actually bring their hackers to heel. Weak leadership abounds.

9 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

The USA government is just one big bundle of lies, and USA mainstream news is just one big bundle of propaganda. In North Korea, all propaganda props up their leader. In the USA, the propaganda is meant to prop up whatever actions the collective psychopath demographic is doing. In both places, the propaganda is the same level of BS, and in both places, it seems that the majority populace reactively conforms to their nations' propaganda with great determination, as if their senses of self-worth and meaningfulness depends upon the propaganda being true. But, both places' propaganda is completely unjustified shit.

How can the USA government and media, which lied itself into war with Iraq, and which is in the business of destabilizing governments and creating wars as well as terrorist groups, and the political party which rigged its primary vote just months ago, be trusted in anything that they say?

The most recent banter from the USA concerning Russian bombings in Syria was to deflect domestic public attention away from the fact that the USA had just (in violation of their agreements) bombed the Syrian army and allowed ISIS to advance and take further territory (whether deliberate by the USA or not).

I guess that's still not as bad as the USA-led coalition deliberately targeting and attacking civilians in Syria following the attacks in Nice, France:

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/french-air-force-avenges-nice-massacre-kills-100-civilians-pictures/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/war-against-isis-us-led-coalition-accused-of-killing-civilians-using-scorched-earth-policy-in-syria-a7174736.html

How come the USA never talks war crimes when they're the ones that commit them, such as their coalition did in the above instance, and such as the invasion of Iraq and much of everything that's happened in it since, has been. How about when USA allies commit war-crimes using weapons the USA gave them?

How come the USA criticizes other nations for attacking terrorists aggressively, but doesn't criticize itself for creating, training, and equipping those terrorist groups?: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/03/us-isis-syria-iraq?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

http://www.globalresearch.ca/america-created-al-qaeda-and-the-isis-terror-group/5402881

How come the USA claims to defend democracy internationally, but then justifies to itself its efforts to overthrow the democratically-elected governments and leaders in (former) nations such as Ukraine and Syria, and many others as well?: https://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

The obvious reality is that there is no rationale behind what the USA does and says, beyond it wanting to make whatever it wants to happen anywhere in the world, so that the USA government can selfishly exploit the outcome, at the expense of the people who live in the places that the USA turns into chaos.

Commentary: The world's best cyber army doesn’t belong to Russia

Commentary: The real reason Washington calls Putin a thug

Everything that comes from the USA government is a hypocrisy, a deflection, a lie, and / or doublespeak. The only thing that the USA government, and mainstream USA media can be trusted to be, is comprehensively dishonest.

I'm fairly certain most countries are like this... 

9 hours ago, Joelbanks5 said:

I'm fairly certain most countries are like this... 

If that were the case, then there would be no peace anywhere in the entire world, and everyone would be killing everyone else. But, it's mostly the USA causing chaos, and instigating the conflicts in nations which lead to warring factions killing each other on a large scale.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

If that were the case, then there would be no peace anywhere in the entire world, and everyone would be killing everyone else. But, it's mostly the USA causing chaos, and instigating the conflicts in nations which lead to warring factions killing each other on a large scale.

Or is that what your country's propaganda  is telling you?

1 hour ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Or is that what your country's propaganda  is telling you?

Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Ukraine, much of what is happening in Syria... Al Queda, ISIS, Al Nusra, and the list goes on. The world's biggest conflicts of the past 20 years, and many groups involved in them, have been directly created, or enabled and inflamed by the USA government.