TotalBiscuit and Wild Games Studio problem (Updated)

Gunzkewl

How did shit like this and Dark Matter (unfinished game) get through Greenlight? Valve needs to do something...

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

How did shit like this and Dark Matter (unfinished game) get through Greenlight? Valve needs to do something...

Meh, there were bad games on Steam before Greenlight came around. If an indie company has a horde of followers that think their game is good, let them have it.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I heard about Dark Matter the game ends abruptly into a black screen. They launched half of the game they wanted, because they ran out of money "kickstarter failed", yet they ask $15 for the game.  

There should be more strict requirements for Green Light and Kickstarter games.

I'm hoping TB and network sues the crap out of this dev for lost income.

I'm hoping such asshole dev's go bankrupt and this CEO becomes a miserable homeless bum.

They say, treat others like you would like to be treated yourself.., but I say F*** that. Treat others as they deserve, for this kind of BS, this guy deserves to have his livelihood ruined.

OK, that's enough ranting for now. I just can't stand censorship.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Far as I know it's a bannable offense to file bogus copyright claims on Youtube videos.

When stuff like this happens the Youtube channel owner should always dispute the takedown

as it could lead to the offenders account being removed.

Wild Games Studio response:

We protected our copyright because Total Biscuit has no right to make advertising revenues with our license.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL so somebody name to me a review site out there that relies on ZERO advertising revenues for their site, completely ZERO ads

or ANY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET PERIOD

I can't stop laughing

Before everyone comes down like a ton of bricks on those "evil" game devs... Realise this : they have a legal right to have done what they want to a YouTube video that includes their own intellectual property. TB here is being a bit immature.. But hey it gets him more viewers..RIGHT?! At the end of the day isn't that whats important? The answer is ..no.. I'm Leonard nemoy.. Keep watching the ski's... Err skies.

Nintendo did the exact same thing... But every Nintendo video on YouTube was swallowed up.

Watch this video about YouTube and copyright : www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX-YihV_ew

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Before everyone comes down like a ton of bricks on those "evil" game devs... Realise this : they have a legal right to have done what they want to a YouTube video that includes their own intellectual property. TB here is being a bit immature.. But hey it gets him more viewers..RIGHT?! At the end of the day isn't that whats important? The answer is ..no.. I'm Leonard nemoy.. Keep watching the ski's... Err skies.

Nintendo did the exact same thing... But every Nintendo video on YouTube was swallowed up.

Watch this video about YouTube and copyright : www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX-YihV_ew

Yeah, let's just throw fair use out the window shall we?

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

But they agreed that he would do a gameplay video of their game and publish it on his youtube channel. He gave them a link to his youtube page so that they could get an impression of what he would say. The video was online for weeks before being taken down. Other videos which praised the game remained online, despite being monetized. If Wild Games Studios really cared about people monetizing their work, they wouldn't let ANYBODY show footage of their game on the internet. The only video that was taken down, was TotalBiscuit's one. It is not unreasonable to presume from the circumstances that this was a move designed purely to prevent anybody hearing about how shitty the game is (which is painfully obvious from the moment the video begins) from a source with a huge viewer base (over 1.2 million subscribers and  225 followers on twitter), and the fact that it happened weeks after the video was published shows that it was not a knee-jerk reaction.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'm pretty sure it falls under fair use, and all that. But the thing that nags at me, is that TotalBiscuit says it was highly implied. Sadly, that isn't how the real world works. If it goes to court, implying and saying something are two different things, with two wholly different legal opinions. Thats the only real nick in TotalBiscuits armor, so to speak. He technically didn't get permission to monazite the video.  

I like how directed his final points to Google, and ow they really should not be allowing this abuse to stop, because their own partners are at risk of having their channels shut down and losing their job as has already happened in the past. I definitely love how honest he always is, it would be nice to see more youtubers stand up and voice their opinions in cases like this.

I'm pretty sure it falls under fair use, and all that. But the thing that nags at me, is that TotalBiscuit says it was highly implied. Sadly, that isn't how the real world works. If it goes to court, implying and saying something are two different things, with two wholly different legal opinions. Thats the only real nick in TotalBiscuits armor, so to speak. He technically didn't get permission to monazite the video.  

However, he could probably argue that as many other similar videos that are monetized did not receive the same treatment, that the studio did not, in fact, have his video taken down for that reason.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

However, he could probably argue that as many other similar videos that are monetized did not receive the same treatment, that the studio did not, in fact, have his video taken down for that reason.

The real question is, did those other videos ask if they could monetize? We don't know. If they didn't, then you may be right. But if they did, that argument fails.

It would appear that they are withdrawing their complaint, after seeing the shitstorm they created.

They might not bother now. We contacted Wild Games for comment, and were told by "Stephane" that, "after seeing all the negative impact today we decided to withdraw our complaint to YouTube."

http://kotaku.com/studio-accused-of-blocking-youtube-vid-over-criticism-1448796126

Probably too little, too late.

But they agreed that he would do a gameplay video of their game and publish it on his youtube channel. He gave them a link to his youtube page so that they could get an impression of what he would say. The video was online for weeks before being taken down. Other videos which praised the game remained online, despite being monetized. If Wild Games Studios really cared about people monetizing their work, they wouldn't let ANYBODY show footage of their game on the internet. The only video that was taken down, was TotalBiscuit's one. It is not unreasonable to presume from the circumstances that this was a move designed purely to prevent anybody hearing about how shitty the game is (which is painfully obvious from the moment the video begins) from a source with a huge viewer base (over 1.2 million subscribers and 225 followers on twitter), and the fact that it happened weeks after the video was published shows that it was not a knee-jerk reaction.

Tb can't complain..law is law.. The IP owners have the right.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

you would be surprised how fair that implication goes in US court actually. 

Tb can't complain..law is law.. The IP owners have the right.

no, they don't. his video falls under fair use and he was given express permission to post his video by the developer replying to his email telling him exactly what he was going to do by giving him the game.

There is no such thing as a proper "critic". 

Incorrect, a critic is responsible for making criticisms that are reasonable. Providing unreasonable criticism, like say, taking a dump on a completely open sandbox game because he thinks it's "too free, it needs direction" or bitching about how a mature-oriented skill-based game is "too hard", automatically makes your opinions invalid. And it should be a no-brainer that to be a critic it helps to form valid opinions.

Doesn't stop him making money from it however with his little comedy show, much like Zero Punctuation.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Incorrect, a critic is responsible for making criticisms that are reasonable. Providing unreasonable criticism, like say, taking a dump on a completely open sandbox game because he thinks it's "too free, it needs direction" or bitching about how a mature-oriented skill-based game is "too hard", automatically makes your opinions invalid. And it should be a no-brainer that to be a critic it helps to form valid opinions.

Doesn't stop him making money from it however with his little comedy show, much like Zero Punctuation.

sandbox games lacking direction is a completely valid criticism. 

I really wish google would stop being monkey's about this sort of thing.  If copy-write owners or content creators have an issue with uploads then they should go through the courts like everyone else. Let a judge decide.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

*Devil's advocate hat on*

From an administrative standpoint, manually verifying every copyright take-down in a timely manner would add a tremendous amount of overhead to the operational costs of YouTube, so I understand why they're not tripping over themselves to manually check all this crap.

Just saying.

*hat off*

As a content creator, however, I feel pretty strongly that there needs to be some kind of solution in the long term. I've also been burned by unfair take-down notices. Particularly some much smaller channels that I know have been unable to resolve disputes and have ended up with unwarranted strikes on their accounts.

*Devil's advocate hat on*

From an administrative standpoint, manually verifying every copyright take-down in a timely manner would add a tremendous amount of overhead to the operational costs of YouTube, so I understand why they're not tripping over themselves to manually check all this crap.

Just saying.

*hat off*

As a content creator, however, I feel pretty strongly that there needs to be some kind of solution in the long term. I've also been burned by unfair take-down notices. Particularly some much smaller channels that I know have been unable to resolve disputes and have ended up with unwarranted strikes on their accounts.

thats what the network system was created for though. networks police their own channels. 

I agree with this statement.  Valve has really dropped the ball lately on quality control in terms of what they allow onto Steam.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Yeah in theory networks police their own channels but its the same thing from their side. most networks are just sales forces at this point.