TotalBiscuit and Wild Games Studio problem (Updated)

Gunzkewl

In regards to the game at times Total Biscuit is honestly complaining about things in the game that are not even close to bad like where when he is looking at his inventory he complains about being attacked by monkeys.  Uh enemies should not stop attacking people just cuz they are looking at stuff in their inventory.  As for his comments about not having a map time and time again it is annoying and he even does admit twice that it actually can add to the game.  Well then stop complaining about the feature ! As for the panther it didn't look good but really is he complaining about something that is even in triple A titles where they have quick time like events ?  The new Tomb Raider has these.  As for the bandaging in the game I liked it as it is realistic looking. I guess he can't appreciate it.  ..... but anyway ... yes ... I can recognize all that is wrong with the game and the company that made this needs to fix quite a bit.  My God the AI LOLOLOLosing ! .. and what up with the way this game saves ?!!?!??!  Too many invisible walls. Voice acting = totally omg awful  :(  etc etc etc Go to the last 5 minutes or more of the review and you will see that there is no reason to buy this game. Do not buy this game ! Check out this video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames  and then other Day One Garry's Incident reviews on YouTube.

However .... please .... I want to see a complete play through of this awful game done live.  Why not have the after party for the WAN Show be Slick and Linus playing this game through in it's entirety and they can take donations for some charity.  It would be epic.

PS:  Does anyone know if this game has physX capabilities ? :P

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

In regards to the game at times Total Biscuit is honestly complaining about things in the game that are not even close to bad like where when he is looking at his inventory he complains about being attacked by monkeys.  Uh enemies should not stop attacking people just cuz they are looking at stuff.  As for his comments about not having a map time and time again it is annoying and he even does admit twice that it actually can add to the game.  Well then stop complaining about the feature ! ..... but ... yes ... I can recognize all that is wrong with the game.  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames

if opening a menu completely disables your ability to do anything else, it should pause the game. thats an industry standard and it should be.

Tb can't complain..law is law.. The IP owners have the right.

Actually there is a law in place in the US that covers critics and was put in place to cover unfair practices by company's looking to silence bad reviews and it would be valid in this case since TB was given a review code by the Dev

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

Tb can't complain..law is law.. The IP owners have the right.

Critique is covered under fair use, and fair use is covered under the US constitution as free speech, that's a pretty compelling thing for a US court. Unless there's a contract involved which explicitly states he cannot do "such and such" or "this and that", I think he could even put up footage without permission for critique purpouses.

As it stands Stephan Woods made a blanket statement on the Steam forum that "Sure! You can make a Youtube from our game!" and the fact that he sent them a review code after recieving the inquery e-mail from Cynical Brit, WGS has for all intents and purpouses agreed to having their video game critiqued by TB. It is slightly circumstancial but there were no written agreements and as such the dev would have had to explicitly state that there was to be no monetization. Which of course would mean that they wouldn't have gotten any coverage since no one would cover it in the first place.

TB absolutely slammed Ride to Hell: Retribution, but they never DMCA'd him, Angry Joe gave that game a very rare, I might remember this wrong, 1/10 and he never got any crap for it either. In the history of me watching WTF is... TB has absolutely slaughtered several games(Revelations 2012 springs to mind) yet no other devs have done anything more than maybe complain a little.

As I see it this is exactly the same thing that would happen a lot in the Atheist VS Creationists wars that raged on YouTube for a while, lame attempts at censoring a "dissenting" opinion. Bad form WGS, BAD FORM!

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

either way, both TB and the dev will come out ahead with this.

For the dev, bad publicity is better then no publicity, they have already gotten a lot more advertisement had there have been no take down of TB's video at all. It would have been 'Just an other WTF-video by TB'. But now, because of this, they get articles no numerous websites, and get an extra video by TB wich get A LOT more views then they would have gotten on a normal wtf (currently at 850 000 views instead of the average 150 000 views for a WTF)

TB will benefit because he, as said above, will get a video with a boatload more views witch translate to ad revenue for him. Again, a lot more then a regular WTF video. And at the end of the day he gets a lot of praise and positive light shed on him because he is fighting the dev over something that just isn't morally right.

At the end of the day, both will benefit.

Now don't take this the wrong way as an attack on neither TB or the dev. I've been subscribed to TB for about 3 years now and really enjoy video's he uploads, great quality and great commentary. As already mentioned, TB is excellent great at what he does and should keep up the good work. ;)

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Fact is TB isn't complaining anymore lawl... Wingeing pommie! Well played.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

either way, both TB and the dev will come out ahead with this.

For the dev, bad publicity is better then no publicity, they have already gotten a lot more advertisement had there have been no take down of TB's video at all. It would have been 'Just an other WTF-video by TB'. But now, because of this, they get articles no numerous websites, and get an extra video by TB wich get A LOT more views then they would have gotten on a normal wtf (currently at 850 000 views instead of the average 150 000 views for a WTF)

TB will benefit because he, as said above, will get a video with a boatload more views witch translate to ad revenue for him. Again, a lot more then a regular WTF video. And at the end of the day he gets a lot of praise and positive light shed on him because he is fighting the dev over something that just isn't morally right.

At the end of the day, both will benefit.

Now don't take this the wrong way as an attack on neither TB or the dev. I've been subscribed to TB for about 3 years now and really enjoy video's he uploads, great quality and great commentary. As already mentioned, TB is excellent great at what he does and should keep up the good work. ;)

Did not TB state that the rev from both videos would be donated? So he dident really earn anything from it.

Did not TB state that the rev from both videos would be donated? So he dident really earn anything from it.

Could be I didn't really have time yet to watch the entire video

If that's the case that would be fair on his behalf, and one of the reasons he gets the respects he has.

But he still gets a ton of new subscribers from it

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/TotalHalibut

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Could be I didn't really have time yet to watch the entire video

If that's the case that would be fair on his behalf, and one of the reasons he gets the respects he has.

But he still gets a ton of new subscribers from it

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/TotalHalibut

True true.

And ye in the end of the video he says he will be donating the rev from both the WTF is.. vid aswell as this new one explaining about what happend. 

His response video is nearing the million right now, in less than 24 hours it's going to crack a mil, that's very very impressive for anyone.

So, the video is back up. Thoughts?

I wonder if the devs realized they were only harming themselves and figured it was best to just drop the claims and let the storm blow over. It might actually be that this has generated such awareness of the game that it'll actually sell more just because people get curios about about it

Sort of a bad thing to do because now you can't share gameplay with people and no one would know their game.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just watching how the company is handling the situation is a train wreck. Go on the steam forums you see a crap ton of people getting banned and comments getting removed left and right. Smh.... I mean at least handle the situation professionally instead of rage banning people and removing their comments.

Wild Games Studio just posted this on their Facebook

Official Statement regarding the YouTube video “WTF Is... : Day One: Garry's Incident ?” from TotalBiscuit 

We sent TotalBiscuit a Steam key on September 26th, giving him permission to evaluate Day One: Garry’s Incident.

Monetizing wasn’t mentioned in our communications and it was an error on our part to not have clarified the issue. 

It was for that particular fact that Wild Games Studio had asked the video’s removal.

After the video was made unavailable, we have taken seriously the reaction from the community concerning freedom of expression. 

We strongly believe in the freedom of expression of people and medias and have removed our copyright claim. 

Wild Games Studio didn’t intend on preventing anyone from using their right to freedom of expression.

For this reason, Wild Games Studio sincerely apologizes to TotalBiscuit and anyone who felt that their freedom of speech was denied.

TotalBiscuit

Well, as you can see the copyright strike was removed, after the internet carpet bombed Wild Games Studio and Polaris petitioned Youtube. As a result of all of this, there are now multiple copies of this video floating around, including a monetized one on Daily Motion which is generating ad revenue. We won't ask for those videos to be removed, it proves the power of the Streisand effect, but we'd encourage those who monetized to donate the ad revenue from that video to the EFF charity.

The original video is back up, so anyone who is coming here from a notification (it is also on the OP) didn't get the chance to see it can now do so. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTa_x3rbJE

Also TB's response video is over 2 million views now in under 2 days!