Pixel making me consider a Windows Phone?

kburton97

I've been using Android since the original Galaxy S, which considering I'm 19, is a long time. Since then, I've had the HTC Evo 3D (which is still, to this date, my favorite phone. That thing was indestructible and I still think the 3D is cool), Galaxy S4 (which I still use as a remote control for my TV), Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7 among others.

I consider myself a bit of an Android Fanboy, but not the type that trolls the internet telling everybody that Android is perfect, when to be perfectly honest, it is far from perfect. There are plenty things that iOS does better, like updates, and there are plenty of things that Windows Phone does better, like ease of use. But likewise, there are things that Android is good at, like a usable back button.

I've been reading a lot on the internet about the new Pixel line from Google, and to be honest, it's making me start to dislike Android. The whole point of the Nexus branded phones was to show what Android could do, but with the Pixels there are features that are exclusive, and these are some of the best features of the phone. 

Another thing that is quite annoying is the fact that they appear to have completely forgot about the people who have Nexus phones, most of the people who bought a Nexus phone bought it thinking they would get all the latest updates from Google, but this isn't the case. Google have said that a Dev build will be released for the 6P and 5X by the end of the year. If they are taking that long to release the new OS to their own devices, how long is it going to take to release it to the likes of Samsung who are known to take forever to update their phones.

And don't even get me started on the price, Nexus devices have always been relatively affordable, but the Pixel devices are expensive, and if I was spending £600 on a phone, I'd rather spend the money on a Note 7, which is a far better phone. But the point is, I would never spend £600 on any phone when there are far better alternatives for half the price. I think the problem is that Google is trying to do an Apple, and the reason people don't like Apple isn't because they make crap products, because they don't, they make some of the nicest computers available (in terms of design, not the specs), but because of the way they run as a company. 

I have dabbled in other operating systems in the past, I had an iPhone 3GS for a while back in the day, and it was a good phone. I bought myself a cheap Windows Phone when my S4 was in for repair and I loved it, it was so easy to use, easier than iOS if I'm perfectly honest. It was fast and fluid. To be honest, the only thing that let it down was the lack of apps. So when looking for a new phone, I didn't do what I normally do and scour ebay for a slightly used Samsung, I looked at Carphone Warehouse to see what other phones are available, and the Lumia 950 caught my eye. I think with Windows 10, the Window Mobile platform has got a lot better. There seems to be a lot more app support now and the UI is just lovely to use. The only app that I use that is missing is Amazon Music, but I can go without that since I rarely use it.

Laptop: HP Pavilion 15 'Gaming' - Intel Core i7 6700HQ - 16GB RAM - 480GB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce 950M 4GB - Half Decent 15.6" 1920x1080 Display

Desktop: Currently non existent

Phones: Bush Windows Phone (Yes, that's Argos' own brand) - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Currently just an alarm clock) - 2 x Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 Silver

I wouldn't spend that much on a bomb. I don't have any issues with my android phone does all I need it to do pretty much. Sure some of the features of the pixel are quite nice but its really not worth the upgrade imo. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I think that investing in Windows Phones is a lost cause, as even MS is about to shut down the Lumia program...

Get a 6P, 1+3, S7 or something instead.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

I haven't really touched windows phones in a while but one thing I keep hearing from people who have them is lack of people developing apps for the OS

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Pixel is a nice phone in that its the entry for Google into the phone development business. From the ground up this is a Google phone in the same way Apple makes their iPhone. My problem with it is its turned from an enthusiast Nexus phone into a run of the mill iPhone clone. There is nothing on that phone that makes me want to spend $865 to upgrade from my 6P.

Since the Nexus program is dead and Pixel is a few years out from being something I'd consider, I may go back to LG phones. The G4 was garbage for me but I owned the G2 and G3 and loved them. If the G6 isn't a gimmicky piece of crap like the G5 I may end up switching back. 

Now, that Google Home and Google Wifi tech is pretty sick...

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

"people don't like Apple"

Ah, I wish. You're totally right that they're trying to compete more directly with Apple, but they're a corporation. The sole purpose of a corporation is to make money. Therefore what they're doing is a logical choice, and the only "right way" to run their business. There are still greater fools who will buy the product at a jacked up price, if you want someone to blame, they're your guys.

Their first mistake in taking the leap into phone designing was choosing HTC to manufacture it.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

"Made by Google" my foot.

Its the same as saying the iPhone is "made by Apple." Just because HTC manufactured the phone doesn't mean Google wasn't behind the entire thing. Imagine how much this phone would be if Google had to manufacture it themselves. Apple phones are manufactured by Foxconn... Doesn't mean they aren't "made by apple"

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Still a bunch of false marketing -- to compete with Apple, especially after Samsung's reputation went to trash, they're basically letting people go "hey it's made by GOOGLE, it MUST be good" even though they're not the ones producing it.

Name one company that manufactures purely phone hardware on the level of an iPhone or Pixel thats made in house. Samsung makes their phones but it makes sense since they basically sell everything from refrigerators to phones and TVs. I agree though. The whole point of this is to directly compete with Apple and to also bring their vision of Android as more than just an OS. They want a Google phone with Google software behind it. Its a logical next step in my opinion.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Samsung Galaxy devices, but I see your point. Look where that got them lol.

I just edited to include Samsung haha

21 hours ago, kburton97 said:

I've been using Android since the original Galaxy S

Yeah, you'd have to be an android fanboy to stick with android after that. I actually had a Galaxy S original and the first iPad as they released and as a first time Android and iOS user with those devices. The experience of two devices released in the same year and never having used either 'system' before made for a very even playing field for either side to win me over. After that I went for Apple devices as primary, and a few android devices for tinkering. Essentially, I wouldn't stake my life on an Android device. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

22 hours ago, Vigilante505 said:

Pixel is a nice phone in that its the entry for Google into the phone development business. From the ground up this is a Google phone in the same way Apple makes their iPhone. My problem with it is its turned from an enthusiast Nexus phone into a run of the mill iPhone clone. There is nothing on that phone that makes me want to spend $865 to upgrade from my 6P.

I thought I was the only one that think 6p is way better looking than pixel.

Pixel looks like an iphone clone with a G at the back of it......... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

22 hours ago, Vigilante505 said:

Its the same as saying the iPhone is "made by Apple." Just because HTC manufactured the phone doesn't mean Google wasn't behind the entire thing. Imagine how much this phone would be if Google had to manufacture it themselves. Apple phones are manufactured by Foxconn... Doesn't mean they aren't "made by apple"

22 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Still a bunch of false marketing -- to compete with Apple, especially after Samsung's reputation went to trash, they're basically letting people go "hey it's made by GOOGLE, it MUST be good" even though they're not the ones producing it.

Both of you guys are correct. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.