Sharp revealed a prototype 27" 8K 120Hz HDR IGZO monitor in CEATEC 2016

snowComet
6 hours ago, Thony said:

Its not a "need" type of a thing. Its "look we can do this !". Any progress even if its ahead of its time is appreciated, otherwise we wouldnt even have PCs or anything other than rocks and sticks

that's not progress, and I agree with @DisconnectedYT .. what's the point!?

there are barely any TV channels broadcasting in UHD-1 but we "have" displays for UHD-2 ?!?!?! it doesn't make any sense

not even NETFLIX streams native UHD content, it's some mumbo jumbo upscaled 1080p

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

there are barely any TV channels broadcasting in UHD-1 but we "have" displays for UHD-2 ?!?!?! it doesn't make any sense

not even NETFLIX streams native UHD content, it's some mumbo jumbo upscaled 1080p

Then you have a chicken and the egg problem. What's the point of this tech if there's no content for it? But nobody's going to make content for this tech because this tech doesn't exist/isn't adopted.

Here's some food for thought while we're at it, what's the point of the performance of a GTX 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti, or Titan, when the most common screen resolutions in use as of January this year is 720p, followed by 1080p? (source: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp)

(though I'll admit 720p is probably due to laptops)

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Then you have a chicken and the egg problem. What's the point of this tech if there's no content for it? But nobody's going to make content for this tech because this tech doesn't exist/isn't adopted.

Here's some food for thought while we're at it, what's the point of the performance of a GTX 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti, or Titan, when the most common screen resolutions in use as of January this year is 720p, followed by 1080p? (source: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp)

(though I'll admit 720p is probably due to laptops)

the point of GTX 10 series and everything beyond it, to:

1. keep with the times - the developers are doing a shit job of optimizing games and porting them properly on PC
  2. catch up with the advances in the display tech - not even the new Titan X can't play games at 60FPS UHD

why are we even talking about UHD-2 TVs when there are so few channels broadcasting in 1080i (not p)

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the point of GTX 10 series and everything beyond it to

1. keep with the times - the developers are doing a shit job of optimizing games and porting them properly on PC
  2. catch up with the advances in the display tech - not even the new Titan X can't play games at 60FPS UHD

why are we even talking about UHD-2 TVs when there are so few channels broadcasting in 1080i (not p)

So again, chicken and the egg problem at work here.

There's still not a lot of 4K content, scaling still is iffy, but there's 4K monitors and we're waiting for the time a single GPU can do 60FPS at 4K.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

So again, chicken and the egg problem at work here.

no there isn't

UHD has been introduced in 2012, 4y later we're not doing anything with it

barely few people here and there willing to spend thousand+ $ in video cards to use this resolution

Just now, zMeul said:

no there isn't

UHD has been introduced in 2012, 4y later we're not doing anything with it

barely few people here and there willing to spend thousand+ $ in video cards to use this resolution

UHD is older than 2012. Maybe the latest standard was adopted by then, but work has been done since the early 2000s. You also said one of the points of the GeForce 10 series is:

If there is no goal to achieve no matter how dumb it sounds, then there's no incentive to make progress. We want to get people to Mars. With the current level of tech and understanding of intrastellar space travel that we have, it's a monumental challenge that borderlines on "why should we do it?" Because it's a goal. It's something to work towards. If we don't set the bar high we won't ever make huge pushes with what we currently have to achieve it.

One could say Intel is a victim of this. They don't have to set the bar high because currently everything in their lineup makes more sense from a performance, cost, and maintenance standpoint.

Either way, chicken and egg problem at work. And I think it's better to have a problem to solve  than a solution that needs a problem

32 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

UHD is older than 2012. Maybe the latest standard was adopted by then, but work has been done since the early 2000s. You also said one of the points of the GeForce 10 series is:

If there is no goal to achieve no matter how dumb it sounds, then there's no incentive to make progress. We want to get people to Mars. With the current level of tech and understanding of intrastellar space travel that we have, it's a monumental challenge that borderlines on "why should we do it?" Because it's a goal. It's something to work towards. If we don't set the bar high we won't ever make huge pushes with what we currently have to achieve it.

One could say Intel is a victim of this. They don't have to set the bar high because currently everything in their lineup makes more sense from a performance, cost, and maintenance standpoint.

Either way, chicken and egg problem at work. And I think it's better to have a problem to solve  than a solution that needs a problem

I said it and I will say it again

set a goal, good

achieve it, good

don't set a new goal until the process of the current goal can't be achieved in a more efficient manner; only after than set a new goal

how can "we" sent people to Mars when "we" don't have the proper tech to safely and reliably send people to the ISS - we are still on tech from the WW2 era

since the 60-70s there haven't been any other attempts to even land people on The fucking Moon

Not only do we have the issue of there being little content for 8K (I'd even argue that 4K doesn't have enough yet either for the average user) but at 27-inches you won't even see the difference between 8K and 4K.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

Its a MONITOR not a TV so your TV and Netflix talk is irrelevant. I said its for MOVIEMAKERS as of now ;) 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I said it and I will say it again

set a goal, good

achieve it, good

don't set a new goal until the process of the current goal can't be achieved in a more efficient manner; only after than set a new goal

So you're saying we shouldn't bother with 4K or 8K because neither has an efficient medium in which to transfer said content or render said content at whatever performance you want? Then that's more of an excuse to start pushing the envelope of other things so that we can have better internet speeds, better graphics cards, better processing, etc.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how can "we" sent people to Mars when "we" don't have the proper tech to safely and reliably send people to the ISS - we are still on tech from the WW2 era

since the 60-70s there haven't been any other attempts to even land people on The fucking Moon

If we didn't have technology to safely and reliably send people to the ISS, how is there even an ISS? Also maybe the old tech is still in use because it worked well enough the first time. Not to mention if you come up with a brand new design, you have to subject it to rigorous testing. We already have something that's proven itself over decades, maybe with some minor tweaks to improve it. Even the new Delta IV's NASA is launching came from a 60's rocket family. Also we haven't been to the moon anymore because there's nothing really significant we could do there for the cost.

1 minute ago, Thony said:

Its a MONITOR not a TV so your TV and Netflix talk is irrelevant. I said its for MOVIEMAKERS as of now ;) 

movie makers don't use 16:9 aspect ratio, only TV content does

movie industry uses 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 aspect ratio monitors

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

movie makers don't use 16:9 aspect ratio, only TV content does

movie industry uses 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 aspect ratio monitors

Okay sir, keep hating it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If we didn't have technology to safely and reliably send people to the ISS, how is there even an ISS? Also maybe the old tech is still in use because it worked well enough the first time. Not to mention if you come up with a brand new design, you have to subject it to rigorous testing. We already have something that's proven itself over decades, maybe with some minor tweaks to improve it. Even the new Delta IV's NASA is launching came from a 60's rocket family. Also we haven't been to the moon anymore because there's nothing really significant we could do there for the cost.

right, that's why "we" are using the soviet rockets and not NASA's since they are grounded - if they even have any left capable of flight

as for

start pushing the envelope of other things so that we can have better internet speeds, better graphics cards, better processing, etc.

duh ... that's what I've been saying

4 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Probably a massive heatsink on the back though lol.

Yeah, it's a prototype so it will get slimmed down I'm assuming. 

How do they even demo an 8k 120Hz Monitor? Nothing can push it! Except note pad. 

23 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

why the hell would you need 8K.... like i couldn't even see the the pixels at 4K

VR

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

-snip-

Just wanted to hop in and point out that the NHK (Japan Broadcasting Organization) started broadcasting on their 8K (or Super Hi-Vision, as marketed in Japan) test channel since August of this year (though I doubt anyone has the hardware to receive the stream). Since the NHK intends to start commercial broadcasting of 8K content by 2018, I imagine Sharp wants their 8K screens ready by then as well.

This link is the confirmation that the NHK 8K test channel launched:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/2/12349954/8k-broadcasts-start-japan-nhk

I couldn't find the statement that had NHK's 2018 launch projection, but it was mentioned in here a while back:

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/anton-shilov/first-commercial-8k-ultra-hd-displays-may-hit-the-market-in-2018/

1 minute ago, kennethnakasone said:

Just wanted to hop in and point out that the NHK (Japan Broadcasting Organization) started broadcasting on their 8K (or Super Hi-Vision, as marketed in Japan) test channel since August of this year (though I doubt anyone has the hardware to receive the stream). Since the NHK intends to start commercial broadcasting of 8K content by 2018, I imagine Sharp wants their 8K screens ready by then as well.

This link is the confirmation that the NHK 8K test channel launched:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/2/12349954/8k-broadcasts-start-japan-nhk

I couldn't find the statement that had NHK's 2018 launch projection, but it was mentioned in here a while back:

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/anton-shilov/first-commercial-8k-ultra-hd-displays-may-hit-the-market-in-2018/

one test channel in Japan -_-

I haven't even jumped to 4K yet. Homies need to chill.

16 hours ago, W-L said:

Yeah, it's a prototype so it will get slimmed down I'm assuming. 

Are you fat shaming? Its perfectly healthy to be a little thick, you monster! 

- snip-

22 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Give me a 40" version of this for my racing sim rig please. :) 

Meanwhile the consoles continue playing around at 900-1080p. :P

Why get a monitor at that point, someone needs to cram one of these down to a VR headset! :P

Me want 

Me have no kidneys to sell

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 10/5/2016 at 11:15 AM, snowComet said:

In CEATEC Japan 2016, the Japanese equivalent of CES, Sharp revealed a prototype 27" 8K HDR IGZO monitor. 

03.jpg

01.jpg

The monitor, which was placed in the IGZO corner of the Sharp booth, is a HDR IGZO IPS monitor, with a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320, pixel density of 326ppi, and a refresh rate of 120Hz. With that refresh rate , and the cables cluster on the back of the monitor, it probably would required more than one displayport/hdmi cables to run the monitor.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Unfortunately the monitor is still in prototype stage, and it would be expensive, as it was aimed at business professionals. Also no words on when it will hit the market.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/event/1023147.html (in Japanese)

*update: I did a little digging, and it seems this monitor was already shown back in IFA 2016, with a different chassis color ( the one shown in IFA was all black). And according to a German tech site Hardware Journal, it requires 16 HDMI inputs to run this monitor (probably becoz it is a prototype, and I hope Google translate is correct here).

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-1.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-3.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-6b.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-2.jpg

http://www.hw-journal.de/news/150-monitore/2650-ifa-2016-sharp-27-zoll-mit-8k-display (in German)

DSC02648_800x532.jpg

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/222/1222638/ (in Japanese)

oh looks something I can't afford and can't even max with even a gtx 1080, I also can't even afford a 1080.

#feelsbadman.

#PCBudgetRace

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.