Sharp revealed a prototype 27" 8K 120Hz HDR IGZO monitor in CEATEC 2016

snowComet

In CEATEC Japan 2016, the Japanese equivalent of CES, Sharp revealed a prototype 27" 8K HDR IGZO monitor. 

03.jpg

01.jpg

The monitor, which was placed in the IGZO corner of the Sharp booth, is a HDR IGZO IPS monitor, with a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320, pixel density of 326ppi, and a refresh rate of 120Hz. With that refresh rate , and the cables cluster on the back of the monitor, it probably would required more than one displayport/hdmi cables to run the monitor.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Unfortunately the monitor is still in prototype stage, and it would be expensive, as it was aimed at business professionals. Also no words on when it will hit the market.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/event/1023147.html (in Japanese)

*update: I did a little digging, and it seems this monitor was already shown back in IFA 2016, with a different chassis color ( the one shown in IFA was all black). And according to a German tech site Hardware Journal, it requires 16 HDMI inputs to run this monitor (probably becoz it is a prototype, and I hope Google translate is correct here).

Original in German

"Angeschlossen wurde das Display über 16 (HDMI-) Kabel, wie anschließend das Bild erzeugt wurde konnte / wollte man uns nicht verraten. Nur so viel, dass entsprechende Professional-GPUs verbaut seien. Sharp setzt auf seine neue IGZO-Technik mit 120 Hz und 326ppi, auch eine HDR-Funktion besitzt das Modell. Die Besonderheit dieser Technologie ist eigentlich, dass man Displays als "free form" schneiden kann, man also beispielsweise runde, ovale oder Bildschirme im Tacho-Look kreieren kann. Die Dicke des Gehäuses offenbar nochmals den o.g. Stand als als Machbarkeitsstudie."

via Google Translate

"Connected was the display 16 (HDMI) cable, as then the image was created could / did not want to tell us. Only so much that corresponding Professional GPUs are installed. Sharp puts on his new IGZO technology with 120Hz and 326ppi , a HDR function has the model. The peculiarity of this technology is actually that you can cut displays as "freeform", so you can create, for example, round, oval or screens in the speedometer look. D ie thickness of the housing obviously again the above state as a feasibility study."

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-1.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-3.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-6b.jpg

Sharp-8K-27Inch-Display-2.jpg

http://www.hw-journal.de/news/150-monitore/2650-ifa-2016-sharp-27-zoll-mit-8k-display (in German)

DSC02648_800x532.jpg

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/222/1222638/ (in Japanese)

1 hour ago, DisconnectedYT said:

why the hell would you need 8K.... like i couldn't even see the the pixels at 4K

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Haha what is this a CRT xD 

Interesting none the less 

1 hour ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I would take that thick abomination in a heart beat.  27" 8K would downscale beautifully with sharp pixel density.  Watch content in 4K / 8K, thanks to my gigabit connection, play games in 4K or 1080P.  Absolutely marvelous.

Sorry, I got a typo, this monitor is an IGZO IPS monitor,  not OLED . Sorry :$.

35 minutes ago, snowComet said:

Sorry, I got a typo, this monitor probably is not an OLED, but an IGZO monitor. Sorry :$.

IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) and OLED relate to different parts of the display.  IGZO is a backplane technology describing the materials used for the thin film transistors that drive the display (turning individual pixels on and off) and how they are manufactured.  OLED (and LCD) is the actual display, what lights up when a pixel is turned on.  IGZO can be used for either OLED or LCD. Other backplane technologies currently being used are LTPS and aSi.  It is speculated that some companies are moving to IGZO technology for the backplane to more easily transition from LCD to OLED for the display.

Whyyyy do they keep making 4k or 8k 27"?

Where are 34"-40" 4k monitors?

This is definitely impressive, don't get me wrong but I just can't see reason to have this high PPI. I see the benefits in screen real estate which gets wasted on these small monitors.

1 hour ago, Bostiny said:

The article already stated that it is an IPS monitor, so it shouldn't be OLED, right? Pls feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

5k 120hz then I'll be interested

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

58 minutes ago, WereCat said:

This is definitely impressive, don't get me wrong but I just can't see reason to have this high PPI. I see the benefits in screen real estate which gets wasted on these small monitors.

Because 27" is a sweet spot for most office environments requiring a high resolution monitor(s). It's all about the space saving, otherwise you need a bigger office and more expensive lease. 

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

I can think of a few reasons why monitors aren't getting any bigger:

• At typical monitor viewing distances, larger monitors are not comfortable ergonomically. If you have to keep moving your head around, it becomes a problem. If you pull the monitor away so this doesn't become a problem, you're wasting the increased resolution as things will become harder to see.
  • Window management is a nightmare. One of the reasons why I don't want to get an ultrawide despite people saying how nice it is is because I'd have to install extra software to get the windows portioned up nicely when maximizing them.
    • I'm also a believer that people can't really multitask well, despite their claims.
  • Larger monitors should mean more material needed to make them, and thus, would be more expensive anyway for the equivalent resolution.
  • This article suggests higher PPI is easier on the eyes: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-4k-resolution-really-make-you-go-blind/

Sweet! Interesting when this is going to be an everyday affordable display. Probably 10 years...

They almost had me fooled with the white backside. The monitor looks slim at first glance.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

hell yeah

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

6 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

why the hell would you need 8K.... like i couldn't even see the the pixels at 4K

Its not a "need" type of a thing. Its "look we can do this !". Any progress even if its ahead of its time is appreciated, otherwise we wouldnt even have PCs or anything other than rocks and sticks :D

The more of these pop up the lower the price of 4K will be :) and more 120/144Hz 4K monitors will show up. Its only good for the consumer. 

That thing is so fat ! Going back to CRT style kinda :D

PS. I believe there are 8K cameras for like 100k dollars that downscale to 4K. Now the moviemakers can actually view it in 8K.

I am super duper glad this monitor is not at 60Hz but instead going for higher refresh rate right off the bat. Why hold back ?! 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

9 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Because of text, that DPI is a bit higher than 720p on a 5 inch phone screen, and text on it is crispier that any monitor or TV in the market which is pretty good and it's more easy to read, and it gets more crispier the higher the DPI.

IMO text is going to be the main reason to want higher resolution screens, the visual difference from 1080p to 4k is not that big for gaming but for text is noticeable. Text is the main reason i want higher resolution displays.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I can think of a few reasons why monitors aren't getting any bigger:

• At typical monitor viewing distances, larger monitors are not comfortable ergonomically. If you have to keep moving your head around, it becomes a problem. If you pull the monitor away so this doesn't become a problem, you're wasting the increased resolution as things will become harder to see.
  • Window management is a nightmare. One of the reasons why I don't want to get an ultrawide despite people saying how nice it is is because I'd have to install extra software to get the windows portioned up nicely when maximizing them.
    • I'm also a believer that people can't really multitask well, despite their claims.
  • Larger monitors should mean more material needed to make them, and thus, would be more expensive anyway for the equivalent resolution.
  • This article suggests higher PPI is easier on the eyes: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-4k-resolution-really-make-you-go-blind/

Fair enough. I would still prefer larger screen however.

-I already have to move my head around with only two monitors so having to do that wouldnt be an issue for me.

-I dont think that window management would be a nightmare. You can already snap windows into corners in Windows 10 and with 4k screen you would just get 1080p sized windows in each corner easily. This function is pointles on 1080p monitors only the snap on half is usefull there.

-Yes, price would be definitely higher but I am willing to pay for that.

-Even 40" 4k is still better with PPI than 23" 1080p monitor and Something like 36"-38" would suit me best so still way better PPI than on most 1080p screens.

Give me a 40" version of this for my racing sim rig please. :) 

Meanwhile the consoles continue playing around at 900-1080p. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

11 hours ago, W-L said:

Haha what is this a CRT xD 

Interesting none the less 

Probably a massive heatsink on the back though lol.

- snip-

i wonder how long it will take before there is a single gpu solution to play at that resolution and at that fps in modern titles, also i wonder how usefull this would be in video and photo editing.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Impressive indeed. I'm sure it's awesome up close :D

I' like to see a 4K 120Hz that can also run 1080p@240Hz that'd be sweet!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

oh the irony, you will understand this comment when Linus release a video to YouTube within 5 days. 

If you have seen it on Vessel then you will understand ;)