Multiple sources confirm Pascal Tegra for Nintendo NX, 3-4x more powerful than Wii U

ChickenCake248

For starters, Direct Feed Gaming revealed that the Nintendo NX will be 3,4 times more powerful than the Wii U in terms of Gigaflops, also adding that developers won’t have to deal with any technical hurdle if they want to port PS4 and Xbox One games to the NX, as the console will support Unreal Engine 4 and other modern game engines. Multiple sources have also confirmed to him that the NX will be powered by an NVIDIA Pascal Tegra, which doesn’t tell us much other than the fact that NVIDIA is going to be involved. Direct Feed Gaming sounds pretty confident in saying this, so it will be interesting to see if the company is indeed involved in the NX as rumors have been saying these past few months.

There have been rumors about this for a while, but it seems this pretty much has been confirmed. I see this as a good thing, since Pascal seems to be a really good architecture.

WCCF Tech article

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I remember reading about this half a year ago, good to know we might finally get Mario with 10x less jaggies!

That's b/c you're playing on the NES.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I remember reading about this half a year ago, good to know we might finally get Mario with 10x less jaggies!

Either that or they will just beef of the graphics and keep the jaggies. Literally the only reason I have 0 interest in a 3DS, lol.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

I don't know what to believe anymore... first we heard the NX was going to be really powerful for a console... then we heard that it was going to use a Tegra chip, which seemed to preclude that possibility, then we heard that nvidia was shutting down their Tegra line entirely... 

And now this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I hope it's good, assuming it's even real.  Does anyone know where roughly this would fit compared to a desktop GPU tho?  Like, what are we talking here, GT 610?  660?  680?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't know what to believe anymore... first we heard the NX was going to be really powerful for a console... then we heard that it was going to use a Tegra chip, which seemed to preclude that possibility, then we heard that nvidia was shutting down their Tegra line entirely... 

And now this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, I hope it's good, assuming it's even real.  Does anyone know where roughly this would fit compared to a desktop GPU tho?  Like, what are we talking here, GT 610?  660?  680?

How's the performance of the Nvidia Shield? That should give a good approximation of what we can expect.

Besides, Nintendo has always hit the 60hz mark in games.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

How's the performance of the Nvidia Shield? That should give a good approximation of what we can expect.

It's pretty good, but I have no way of comparing it against my desktop :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And now this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well .. not quite

the Tegra business is aimed at that DrivePX module

what nVidia said is that there will be no more Tegra powered SHIELD tablets - in fact, I recall me posting about this, lemme check

Edited by zMeul

19 minutes ago, ChickenCake248 said:

There have been rumors about this for a while, but it seems this pretty much has been confirmed. I see this as a good thing, since Pascal seems to be a really good architecture.

WCCF Tech article

Please fix your quote for night theme users......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Please fix your quote for night theme users......

It's not broken for me

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

The WiiU isn't that much more powerful than the Wii...and since that's effectively an old Gamecube with motion controllers, the performance of the "NX" if its 3-4x as great as the WiiU's, its still not that good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And now this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nvidia is shutting down the phone prospects for the Tegra line. Xavier is a 20W chip coming out for automotive, so really.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Nvidia is shutting down the phone prospects for the Tegra line. Xavier is a 20W chip coming out for automotive, so really.

I'd put that in a phone xD great for warming your hands in the winter...

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'd put that in a phone xD great for warming your hands in the winter...

Reference GTX 480 or go home.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Reference GTX 480 or go home.

In all seriousness, I wonder about the Tegra K1 in my shield tablet... it can drain itself while plugged in and, overclocked to 2.5 GHz on the CPU and something high on the GPU too, it can get very, very hot... I kinda wonder what its TDP has become... :P 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And now this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it were 4x scaling exactly--it should be a 680.  I might be wrong.  If I remember the Wii-U uses a modified 4870 GPU.

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It's funny... The Wii U is far weaker than the XBOX One or the PS4 and yet it's the only one that plays games at 1080p60.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

6 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

It's funny... The Wii U is far weaker than the XBOX One or the PS4 and yet it's the only one that plays games at 1080p60.

The word for this, kiddies, is what?... That's right! Optimization!

Something most game studios are relatively clueless about...

7 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

yeah they sacrifice graphics to get the right res and framerate, which is in my opinion the right idea, especially for their style of games which are like a cartoon anyway

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah they sacrifice graphics to get the right res and framerate, which is in my opinion the right idea, especially for their style of games which are like a cartoon anyway

Agreed. If I were to get a console I'd probably get a Wii U just because they have the best exclusives and they have good framerates. Though considering the NX is coming out in the next 6 months (iirc the paper launch is in march, so maybe I'm wrong here) it's not really worth it.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Agreed. If I were to get a console I'd probably get a Wii U just because they have the best exclusives and they have good framerates. Though considering the NX is coming out in the next 6 months (iirc the paper launch is in march, so maybe I'm wrong here) it's not really worth it.

Yeah not at this point.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Twilight Princess was hardly cartoony

18 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Twilight Princess was hardly cartoony

Well yes, but didn't that also run at 30 fps?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well yes, but didn't that also run at 30 fps?

Not afaik.

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not afaik.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the remake...

I do recall seeing another video though... I will look for it.