nVidia G-sync

Nicktrance

gsync.jpg

Nvidia head Jen-Hsung Huang has revealed G-Sync, a module for gaming monitors designed to get the best of both worlds from using and not using vSync. Huang said that being designs by two completely different industries, an important feature such as vSync could never work correctly and that is why nVidia is already on board with partners such as ASUS, Benq Philips and Viewsonic to integrate this new technology.

It allows the GPU to take control of the scanning, varying the refresh rate of the monitor to match the amount of frames being delivered by the GPU thus allowing users to get rid of both tearing from not using vSync and the lag and stutter that results from using vSync.

lb2-1520-1.jpg

lb2-1521-1.jpg

lb2-1546-1.jpg

According to Ujesh Desai this gear shouldn't make much difference in terms of pricing of new monitors and it should work with all Kepler GPUs and up.

This is probably the "most amazing thing" that has been rumoured recently. Nvidia has set up a demo but looking at the stream, I can't get a good idea since I'm watching it through a camera but Linus seems impressed and I can see some difference in terms of tearing or lack thereof.

Sources: stream: http://www.twitch.tv/linustech/
               image: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/nvidia-g-sync/?utm_source=Mobile_Feed_RSS3&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Engadget

gsync.jpg

Nvidia head Jen-Hsung Huang has revealed G-Sync, a module for gaming monitors designes to get the best of both worlds from using and not using vSync.

Developing...

you are late :P

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I guess calling it "N-Sync" was out of the question...

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

No way am I buying an expensive "gaming" monitor for "Gsync" which will only work with specific nvidia cards -_-

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

No way am I buying an expensive "gaming" monitor for "Gsync" which will only work with specific nvidia cards -_-

too much propeitary kills your company when you don't have a good product, look at what happened to Sony and their cameras and custom SD cards

We haven't heard how much it costs yet. I think if it's £50 more then without G-Sync then it's a very good price. Think about it for a second. Having a game with no tearing or stutter or one without G-sync but with stuttering and tearing. Do you think £50-£100 is worth it because I do.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Great now there will be a whole new class of "gaming" monitors and they will be x100 more expensive than "normal" monitors.  Also have to buy a $600+ gpu. NICE. At least I can get 3 games (which they choose for me) and $100 off Shield!!!!!!!!!!! *North Murica only

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Great now there will be a whole new class of "gaming" monitors and they will be x100 more expensive than "normal" monitors.  Also have to buy a $600+ gpu. NICE. At least I can get 3 games and $100 off Shield!!!!!!!!!!! 

No, you will get smoother gameplay with less expensive gpus ;)

Nvidia, pretty much everyone has monitors at this point, so the ain't gunna sell them just for G-Sync, even if these monitors are 4K, people are going to go with the cheaper 4K models since 4K is already a lot of money. Y u do dis?

No, you will get smoother gameplay with less expensive gpus ;)

My gameplay is already smooth with my AMD card and my normal monitor.  The only issues I get are due to my internet connection.  Maybe they should invent a sync that they put in routers to help that out (obviously just joking around with this)?  And there will probably be steep card restrictions (not all kepler cards) and you have to buy a new monitor, and they will be VERY expensive just like any other "gaming" grade product.

you are late :P

Can't find any news about it. I'll keep it up to date as the stream progresses.

Nvidia, pretty much everyone has monitors at this point, so the ain't gunna sell them just for G-Sync, even if these monitors are 4K, people are going to go with the cheaper 4K models since 4K is already a lot of money. Y u do dis?

Because people will eventually upgrade.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Because it's wrong. G-Sync is a proper good technology and shouldn't increase the price of the monitors by a lot. The biggest problem with it is that it requires NVIDIA graphics card (just like Mantle requires an AMD card), and that may just end up killing both technologies (I say G-Sync has a better chance than Mantle though). A somewhat smaller problem but much more relevant for me is that they most likely wont be incorporating this technology in actual good screens like UltraSharps etc.

A little bit more info about G-Sync.

8enkazb.jpg

What G-Sync is & what it does :

G-Sync is a new synchronization technology by Nvidia, that allows the monitor's refresh rate to match the games frames per second in real time.
So the monitor is no longer maintaining a fixed refreash rate of 60hz or 120hz, instead the monitor would refresh the image with every new frame in the game.

This is achieved by embedding a GPU into the panel that handles the refresh computation and traffic, this eliminates tearing & reduces stutter.

Asus, BenQ, PHILIPS & ViewSonic will have monitors with this new technology coming soon.

My gameplay is already smooth with my AMD card and my normal monitor.

Great, why would they even develop GPUs?

Yep. No doubt they will only have this 'G-sync module' in 60Hz or 120/144Hz TN panels (Jen-Hsun said it'll be in "gaming monitors"). Not everything I do on my computer is gaming, I still want a monitor that looks good all the time . Also, what happens in a few years when you want an AMD card, you've paid for this big feature that is now useless.

I'd be excited if this was going to be implemented in IPS monitors and could work with all cards, I'm not sure why this would be restricted to Kepler. The technology to dynamically alter a monitors refresh rate on the fly couldn't be that specific, could it?

This will be in TN monitors only I would imagine for a long time.

Which is a big no no.

Restricting this to only nvidia kelper cards is greedy....but understandable.

I'll stick with adaptive vsync its good at what it does.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Great, why would they even develop GPUs?

I think that g-sync is pretty awesome and it will make gameplay better, but it is going to be extremely expensive and hard for the average person to afford it. IMO the development of gpus should be focused on getting the most amount of performance to the most number of people.

I honestly couldn't care less about screen tearing. I don't even notice it if I'm playing, and I'm the kind of person who always turns V-sync off because I want that extra responsiveness.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I honestly couldn't care less about screen tearing. I don't even notice it if I'm playing, and I'm the kind of person who always turns V-sync off because I want that extra responsiveness.

your are running a 7990 xD .... now think back when AMD drivers sucked with a lot of stuttering .... this would have been awesome

your are running a 7990 xD .... now think back when AMD drivers sucked with a lot of stuttering .... this would have been awesome

G-sync wouldn't eliminate micro-stuttering. Just screen tearing.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

But they fixed that without you having to buy a new monitor.

I don't see this taking off, because people upgrade their monitors a lot less frequently than their other hardware. My last monitor lasted nearly 7 years before the back-light broke.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II