nVidia G-sync

Nicktrance

No way am I buying an expensive "gaming" monitor for "Gsync" which will only work with specific nvidia cards -_-

We haven't heard how much it costs yet. I think if it's £50 more then without G-Sync then it's a very good price. Think about it for a second. Having a game with no tearing or stutter or one without G-sync but with stuttering and tearing. Do you think £50-£100 is worth it because I do.

Great now there will be a whole new class of "gaming" monitors and they will be x100 more expensive than "normal" monitors.  Also have to buy a $600+ gpu. NICE. At least I can get 3 games (which they choose for me) and $100 off Shield!!!!!!!!!!! *North Murica only

It's not much but here's some info from Engadget:

According to Ujesh Desai this gear shouldn't make much difference in terms of pricing of new monitors and it should work with all Kepler GPUs and up.

Sooo ive i wanted to use it i woulda have to buy a new Monitor right (Using ASUS VG236HE right now)?

Sooo ive i wanted to use it i woulda have to buy a new Monitor right (Using ASUS VG236HE right now)?

Yes you would have to buy from a number of select monitors which will most likely only be TN panels.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

According to Ujesh Desai this gear shouldn't make much difference in terms of pricing of new monitors and it should work with all Kepler GPUs and up.

Still means you have to buy a new monitor, which is a 150+ dollar investment on top of potentially 650-700 dollars for a new graphics card.

Yes.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

oh crap this is pissing me OFF

they got gamestream which can stream ANY game to ANYTHING

they got shadowplay  which easily records gameplay unlike using Quicksync which hard to do because of virtu etc

and now they have the BEST thing EVER  this ....

i can STAND lagging and tearing ... i play on consoles and  its perfect i just love it !

if i can have that experience on PC then .... im sold

but first i want to see what mantel will do with gaming performance on other games

i just hate they are locking everything down  :/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

But they fixed that without you having to buy a new monitor.

I don't see this taking off, because people upgrade their monitors a lot less frequently than their other hardware. My last monitor lasted nearly 7 years before the back-light broke.

Just going to say nvidia 3d...

Still means you have to buy a new monitor, which is a 150+ dollar investment on top of potentially 650-700 dollars for a new graphics card.

Yes.

We're using AMD so I guess we do need new GPUs but most people using nVidia GPUs don't.

I don't think nVidia had much of an option with regards to the monitor, they can't just integrate the G-Sync module into the graphics card or a new device in between because they need direct control over the monitor hardware. Sure it can get expensive and it might be a long time before everyone can use it or similar technologies, but would you rather they didn't do anything about it so nobody even has the option?

Just going to say nvidia 3d...

3d is a pointless gimmick IMO. It also gives me a headache. Surround is potentially interesting, but then nVidia has been playing catch-up to AMD in that regard for years now.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3d is a pointless gimmick IMO. It also gives me a headache. Surround is potentially interesting, but then nVidia has been playing catch-up to AMD in that regard for years now.

What you seemd to not get is that I was trying to point out the similarities of these two, now with what they do but whats needed to run them.

I didnt bring up surround or eyefinity but I dont think nvidia is playing catchup with it since it finally cam out on kepler cards.

I would have thought that could apply variable refresh rates using a special driver for the monitor. But I guess it's tied to hardware unfortunately. Still a fantastic feature. I have given Nvidia a lot of flak for physX but this is undeniably cool.

I wonder what it will feel like having your monitor refresh rates going up and down, should feel not as bad as your framerate going up and down.

Hmm...so in order for us to have g-sync we have to buy NEW monitors? Splendid.

Now for those who have a 3 monitor set up they'd have to buy 3 more new monitors. Sucks kinda..

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

and I just bought an Asus 27 inch IPS... GRRRR

this needed to happen before the 780s came out!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

So, the Twitch Chat right now in a nutshell:

2w3swvk.png

INWIN EMR-040 w/ Power Rebel RB-S450HQ7-0 | ASUS P8B75M-LX | Intel Core i5 3450 | Zalman CNPS5X Performa | SK Hynix 2x2 GB 1600 (9-9-9-27) | ASUS GTX 650 (GTX650-E-1GD5, 1200/5500 @ 1,137) | Plextor M5S 128 GB (PX-0128M5S) | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB (ST1000DM003) | Windows 8 Pro

Yes you would have to buy from a number of select monitors which will most likely only be TN panels.

I'm fine with TN monitors, my monitor that i use right now is a TN Panel. But the problem is i don't like buying new Hardware if it isn't broken/not doing its job. and the Monitor right now (ASUS VG236HE) is doing the job extremly nice,b ut i want the technology too

So, the Twitch Chat right now in a nutshell:

<Raise your dongers...>

Pretty much sums it up :P

This is really, really good. The only potential problem i can see is the pricing on G-Sync enabled monitors due to it being a hardware implementation.

Nonetheless, what this means basically is that this eliminates the need to use V-Sync which... performs poorly since it creates even more frame delays between frames. This allows the card to pump out as many frames as it can without a software limit, whilst eliminating the problem of screen tearing by synchronizing the monitor's refresh rate with the rate at which the GPU throws out the frames.

This is like Adaptive Vsync 2.0, except way better.

They said it won't cost too much compared to normal prices.

Sucks big time for dudes with 3 monitor setup, or new builders like me...seriously, why couldn't they implement it in new drivers or something? I know this is a physical module thing but really, not much people are going to buy new monitors just cuz of GYSNC. IMO a small fail on their part, but nonetheless very intriguing and new.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Adaptive v-sync is a poor mans G-sync.

I can live with that.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I can live with that.

I'm actually pretty curious to see how much of a difference exists between this and adaptive v-sync cause I really don't want to buy a TN panel.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

I can live with that.

Adaptive v-sync is completely different, all it does is stop vSync from needlessly wasting performance while running at less than refresh rate by disabling it. That's just a small part of what G-sync is.

This.  Is.  Massive.

This is probably the most compelling reason I've seen yet to go with one GPU manufacturer over the other.

But that's what sucks about it.  Why can't this technology come to all gamers?  At least license it to AMD or something.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Damn, i was about to jump the gun with getting an AMD GPU because of Mantle and the pricing, but now with this. Time to wait for benchmarks and possibly video comparison to see if its worth getting NVidia + a potential $200 monitor to go along with it.

Edit: I wonder if they're only going to be putting these in 1080p monitors which would make getting a GTX 780 or something of that magnitude a bit useless IMO. If they do 1440p/1600p, hopefully the prices of them would drop

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Adaptive v-sync is completely different, all it does is stop vSync from needlessly wasting performance while running at less than refresh rate by disabling it. That's just a small part of what G-sync is.

Yes but it still gets rid of tearing while keeping your fps at a stable rate.

As I said, a poor mans gsync, not all the benefits but...its enough to get by on.

Be interesting to see what actually looks better side by side though.

Spending the extra cash saved on the special monitor on a better AMD card with mantle giving more raw performance or an nVidia card plus Gsync with their tweaks.

GSync sounds like a neat idea, but making it proprietary had me concerned. Take PhysX, for example. That could have been used to write entire games physics engines (from what I've read) in a way which would have enabled far superior physics to what had been seen before (because offloading to GPU means moar betterness). Yet all the games I've seen PhysX in used it only for eye candy, not for anything more substantial, which I'd imagine would be due to the game devs not wanting to write such a core part of their game (considering how it'd affect the mechanics and everything, not just how it looks and performs (such as Mantle, because I just know someone's gonna make that comparison)) using a proprietary system. Then again, if it's something which is relatively easy to put into games then it'd likely come up as an option if it's available and that'd likely see far more adoption imo.

As an aside, the comment about "being implemented in gaming monitors" immediately got me worried, as nearly every gaming monitor I've seen described as such is a TN panel with a high refresh rate (nothing wrong with a high refresh rate, just with the TN-ness).

And Anand mentioned in his coverage that "It's seriously a huge difference". This was in a NVidia controlled demo ofc, so it's possible that it was being compared to a worst-case scenario, but as always it's a "wait for the benchmarks" kinda situation.

EDIT: Meant to mention that I'd be worried about all proprietary stuff (Mantle included), but re-reading this I'm not sure I got that impression across properly...