AMD Mantle vs NVidia G-SYNC

I'm Batman

I think both of these new technologies will be good but Nvidias will be far more expensive but if they license G-sync to be able to work with AMD's cards as well as Nvidias then it will make a great new product for gamers but at the moment one is not better than the other because non of them have been really used yet and AMDs new line of cards have only launched not long ago and so mantle is still very fresh and new to the market

I should say Mantle sounds cool but the benefit with G-sync is that you don't have to rely on developer but rather you can have that on pretty much any game out there. I have this feeling that both technologies will die due to no adoption. Still higher fps is better than these 2. With Mantle you need AMD GPu and with G-sync you need Nvidia GPU and a G-sync capable monitor. No way I'm trading my 1440P Korean monitor for a 1080p monitor just to have G-sync or pay 5-10x the price of my Korean display. I'm hapy with my 2560x1440p @ 96Hz and i'm willing to tune down some settings to get lose to 96Hz.

Ummm, two 290x in Crossfire + 120HZ 2D Lightboost limited at exactly 120 fps with a config or console command + Mantle to ensure high FPS

I'll choose that over G-Sync

That avatar thou......it is you right :P

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

G-Sync. I can kinda imagine the the benefits by comparing a 24fps movie being portrayed properly than it being rendered in 30 or 60fps. I would rather have it at the 24fps cadence. With that being said, variable refresh rates thats being controlled by the GPU is AMAZEBALLS!!! If I had two 290x in Crossfire + 120HZ 2D Lightboost limited at exactly 120 fps with a config or console command, I'd probably pick mantle too because I wouldn't be able to use G-Sync anyways... lol

Mantle, in the long run it'll have a bigger impact in gaming.

{B t t tk Pf t B t t tk Pf tk B Pf} <--- This is my language. BEATBOXING FOR LIFE!

for the first neither of them are released yet, and for the second this is like comparing a plastic bucket to a flying potato with laser vision.

neither

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

MANTLE R9 290x fanboy here

not an nvidia/amd fanboy just one spetific GPU:)

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

for the first neither of them are released yet, and for the second this is like comparing a plastic bucket to a flying potato with laser vision.

So is G-synch the plastic bucket and Mantle the flying potato with laser vision or the other way around? I have to say - flying potato with laser vision is much more bad ass (though would've been better with laser pew-pew).

-fruit

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I hope to see both technologies.

Mantle = Possible to make cross-platform gaming engines(and in turn cross platform games) that run closer to the hardware bypassing much of the API overhead bottleneck that caused issues in the past for developers.

G-sync = Work around legacy CRT tech from the 50's created for TV's by changing monitor refresh rate to match GPU frame redraw. Possibly complete removal of tearing, stuttering and screen lag which becomes more apparent as screen resolution increases.

Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable..? =]

It has characteristic's of both. In the US they can't make up their minds, customs has it listed as a vegetable but in their schools the say that it is a fruit even though the rest of the world doesn't. It's actually part of the Solanaceae family of flowering plants which includes aubergines (eggplants) & capsicums (Peppers, chillies etc.)

Guys there's no need to flame, it's a perfectly legitimate question to wonder which people are personally more excited for. Some people mind not see Mantle as that big of a thing potentially, while others might not see G-Sync as a game changer.

Personally I can't decide.

Personally I see mantle as more interesting in its potential applications, I won't say more important.  G-sync is nice, But its a late fix to a long time issue, An issue I got over a lonnnnnnng time ago, In that it doesn't even bother me anymore.  I guess it does not help that the req is hardware related, I don't see myself as buying a new monitor or the DIY kit just for G-sync

My problem with gsync is that you have to buy a completely new monitor to get the benefits, on top of that I need to switch to Nvidia, and the monitors are going to cost who knows how much because It's only going to be on gaming monitors which they'll most likely charge out the ass for. So in the end before you see the difference you are better off spending the money on a new GPU to get smoother framerates.

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

In terms of importance to the PC gaming industry? Mantle.

G-Sync sounds too niche for lack of a better term. Sure, I want smooth gameplay, but if I am already capping my refresh-rate with a high-end GPU like the R9-290X or GTX780ti, then what's the point? The idea doesn't sell me on having a better PC gaming experience when it's suggesting I'll also have to buy a new monitor when I've already got a good one.
I think it's cute that nVidia and Steam are trying to push themselves into the living room along with consoles. Yeah, real cute. Meanwhile, I'll continue sitting here, at my desk and PC because it's much more practical for what I do. Sorry, I've not had a reason to sit on the couch in the living room for several years now, and these changes aren't likely to draw me back to it. There's TV ads in there... they make my skin crawl. :P

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

Guys there's no need to flame, it's a perfectly legitimate question to wonder which people are personally more excited for. Some people mind not see Mantle as that big of a thing potentially, while others might not see G-Sync as a game changer.

Personally I can't decide.

G-Sync is a game changer and required before we move onto larger resolution screens. Mantle is nice but without support from Nvidia and Intel will not go far, without that support it will fix one problem for developers only to create another. If it develops and Nvidia and Intel get behind it then it could be huge.

I want both...

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

It has characteristic's of both. In the US they can't make up their minds, customs has it listed as a fruit but in their schools the say that it is a fruit even though the rest of the world doesn't. It's actually part of the Solanaceae family of flowering plants which includes aubergines (eggplants) & capsicums (Peppers, chillies etc.)

=]

Both are unfortunately proprietary. 

I think NVidia's GSynch is going to be more relevant because it's easier to implement for each game. Mantle is probably too much work for devs that are not developing for xbone or ps4. But then again, most games are also developed for both of these platforms. 

I picked gsync cause it can influence even non gaming sectors  to improve their display technology. Mantle is nice cause it messes with Microsoft but it would be easier for devs to capitalize on gsync(hardware people will do most of the work and investment) where as mantle needs them hiring or training their programmers and paying them for much longer work hours to do a mantle optimized games. 

Mantle:

- It's just another API (but a much lower level) 

- The benefits (which I assume are going to be decent) will only work with select GPUs in select games (R9 series, EA games, etc.) 

- We're yet to see/hear someone's mind being blown 

G - Sync

- While the benefits will only seen in Kepler GPUs and certain monitors (I'm pretty sure that there is going to DYI kits - not sure though) but will work on any game 

- It addresses a fundamental issue in current gaming - screen tearing, FPS drops, etc. (we've all experienced it and it's not fun) 

Summary: 

API will definitely benefit those who aren't going to get new monitors (short term) but if G - Sync gains traction and it keeps on getting improvements, adoption, etc. it will be better for the gaming community (long term). 

I'm not saying that G - Sync is going to wreck Mantle (I don't think either will gain traction for some time) but G - Sync (IMO) interests me more, and so my vote will have to go to G - Sync. 

But hey, both are going to benefit the gaming community as a whole  ;)

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

no, it rather limits the refresh rate to your gpu frame rate, which is awesome ;)

which can make gameplay much smoother even with lower frame rates

It syncs monitor to frame rate..So if framerate drops down to 10 fps then you are at 10fps at 60hz. So the game smoothness is great but in the end a slow card will not show things happening. You can not create frames from thin air. So fixes the tearing but if your card his slow then your in slow motion but its smooth slow motion. You still get killed by either not seeing the frames or frame lag. It is awesome but let me think... Faster card =Money= smooth when using slow cards.... I take faster card for the money :) G-sync is cool but will need to be cheap for me to even think about it. Nothing beats raw speed. Not even smooth low frame rates.