What is a Switch?

Beeeyeee
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

a switch is a device that on a low level (but still in an intelligent way) bounces traffic around between its ports, sending packets where they need to go.

in other words, a switch is a device you plug into your network infrastructure, and it magically turns one port into more ports.

So i'm doing some serious reoganizing soon since i'm moving out. I've got a few things that need to be connected to my router, but it doesn't have enough ports. as far as I understand a Network Switch is what I need right? Is a switch essentially like a USB hub for ethernet cables? in that one cable runs to the router, and all your devices connect to the switch?

Also I'm thinking of getting a NAS one day, could I simply connect it to that switch or how would that all work?

thank you so much.

A "dumb" switch will just split the single ethernet cable so that multiple devices can use connect to it, if you get a managed switch there is more freedom to change the bandwidth, or shut off ethernet ports via a web interface, or other things to customize it, but are cost more.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

a switch is a device that on a low level (but still in an intelligent way) bounces traffic around between its ports, sending packets where they need to go.

in other words, a switch is a device you plug into your network infrastructure, and it magically turns one port into more ports.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

perfect just what I needed to know!