4790k vs 6700k

Pranthorx

Hey there!

So i'm considering finally getting rid of my old 4670k, as it's starting to become a liability with my GPU in gaming.

Basically my choices are between the 4790k and the newer 6700k, although i am open for other suggestions
My thought so far is that it would be cheaper for me to go for the 4790k since it fits right into my Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard, and i already have it set up, and good to go.
But is it worth it over getting a new mb, ram and a 6700k?

I mainly play Blizzard games (WoW and SC2) with the occasional Driving Sim of sorts, though i want the choice to play later releases, should i ever want to.

Current specs:

• CPU
    Intel i5-4670K
  • Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z87MX-D3H
  • RAM
    8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz
  • GPU
    Zotac nVidia GTX 980 AMP! Edition
  • Case
    NZXT S340 Midi Tower
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNova G2 750W

4790k. It should be good enough.

The improvement of 6700k isn't much. Besides new mobo and ram.

Just now, Pranthorx said:

So i'm considering finally getting rid of my old 4670k, as it's starting to become a liability with my GPU in gaming.

Full system specs plz. Including the most important part, the GPU. Which I frankly don't know how you didn't care to mention, but...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Is hyperthreading going to do anything for those games? I thought all those cared about was per core performance. In which case a 4790k and a 4670k should be equivalent at the same clock speed.

I was excpecting my system info from my account to be posted alongside, but i'll update it with full specs. Give me a second.

You shouldn't be having any issues with those games with your current system. 

Which games are lacking in performance?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4670k should be fine
what resolution are you playing at?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

8 minutes ago, Pranthorx said:

Hey there!

Basically my choices are between the 4790k and the newer 6700k, although i am open for other suggestions
My thought so far is that it would be cheaper for me to go for the 4790k since it fits right into my Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard, and i already have it set up, and good to go.
But is it worth it over getting a new mb, ram and a 6700k?

I mainly play Blizzard games (WoW and SC2) with the occasional Driving Sim of sorts, though i want the choice to play later releases, should i ever want to.

Current specs:

• CPU
    Intel i5-4670K
  • Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z87MX-D3H
  • RAM
    8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz
  • GPU
    Zotac nVidia GTX 980 AMP! Edition
  • Case
    NZXT S340 Midi Tower
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNova G2 750W

The 4790k will be more than sufficient and will be a lot cheaper than having to get a new mobo and RAM.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which games are lacking in performance?

The only game i'm "struggling" with is Sc2, with frames dropping as low as 10fps in hectic areas. According to Afterburner CPU load is a constant 70+% with GPU slacking at around 10-15%
Mainly the upgrade is for smoother raiding and newer games

2 minutes ago, Pranthorx said:

The only game i'm "struggling" with is Sc2, with frames dropping as low as 10fps in hectic areas. According to Afterburner CPU load is a constant 70+% with GPU slacking at around 10-15%

Wait for the intel Core i10 Beer Lake 20 core using optical on 1nm.

You might get 20FPS!!!!!!

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

6 minutes ago, Pranthorx said:

Getting an i7 will make no difference for SC2. The best you can do is push for a higher oc to improve performance. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4790k, it's not worth a motherboard/ram change for a 6700k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Full system specs plz. Including the most important part, the GPU. Which I frankly don't know how you didn't care to mention, but...

he did state it next time read it

1 minute ago, 107x said:

Do you even edit button bro?

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

13 hours ago, 107x said:

I edited it in after he mentioned it :)

Also thanks for the tips, guys. I guess it's gonna be a 4790, then ^_^

10 minutes ago, Pranthorx said:

I edited it in after he mentioned it :)

Also thanks for the tips, guys. I guess it's gonna be a 4790, then ^_^

your current 4670k is just an non hyperthread 4790k.. youll get exactly the same performance..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I wouldn't upgrade it at all... you aren't going to gain much especially with the games you play and the gpu you have. Your current cpu and gpu are a pretty good match you'd be spending a lot of money and not really seeing any results. The only recommendation I can make for you is to maybe spend no more than about $60-75 and get 12-16GB of some faster ram. 1333 speed and only 8GB just isn't hardly enough, 12GB will be just fine and 16GB even better if it's the same price or cheaper. Don't worry about getting just two sticks instead of three, you don't gain anything really from triple channel.  I'd sit on your current rig for awhile and wouldn't change anything else. I wouldn't toss any extra money into DDR3 other than that. Tossing $75 or less into the rig and retiring it in a couple years would allow you to save more and get more when you replace the entire system in a couple years and it would make a heck of a hand me down or girlfriend rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611 601190327 600006073 600006072 600082361 600006077 600006078 600006079 600551113 600551115 600532700 600551116 600551117 600551118 600551119 4026&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&PageSize=36&order=PRICE