The End of OS X

cazetofamo
5 hours ago, lonewolf5460 said:

Are you on a mechanical drive I remember my 2012 mbp I had a 240gig ssd and it flew, side by side with my 2015 retina basic tasks were identical.

no, upgraded to an ssd by the time mavericks came

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Also MacOS has had native NTFS read/write support since Mountain Lion. The problems start if you don't shut down Windows properly or safely remove a removable device as Mac OS will refuse to mount the drive if it wasn't cleanly shut down by Windows. Heck my Hackintosh even reads my NVMe SSD that's NTFS (with a custom kext). 

Are you sure about that? I tried using an NTFS drive even in Yosemite and I wasn't able to until I installed Pargaon NTFS for OSX.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yay, I can now break Siri on a Mac by asking it to take a photo!

Not going to upgrade as the Mac mini I would run in on (2014 Base) can hardly cope with El Capitan.

It also adds very little to the OS.

no noticeable slowdowns on my 2011 13" i7 mbp.  i did upgrade the ram to 8gb tho.  will do some heavier tests with traktor/maschine/serato and see if i find anything funky with it.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

Good. OS X was pretty flawed in a lot of areas IMO and I think that by replacing it Apple will...

...oh, they've... they've only renamed it. *sigh*

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

6 minutes ago, FalconPDX said:

no noticeable slowdowns on my 2011 13" i7 mbp.  i did upgrade the ram to 8gb tho.  will do some heavier tests with traktor/maschine/serato and see if i find anything funky with it.

Does it take like a minute to go from unlock screen to you can finally use the keyboard and mouse after a wake up? Does it also take a while to unlock after you've entered the password?

Those were two big issues among others with Yosemite and El on my 2012 i7 MBP

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Does it take like a minute to go from unlock screen to you can finally use the keyboard and mouse after a wake up? Does it also take a while to unlock after you've entered the password?

Those were two big issues among others with Yosemite and El on my 2012 i7 MBP

That's some really unusual behavior. Even my C2D MBP from 2007 with 4gb of RAM didn't have that issue on Yosemite. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

That's some really unusual behavior. Even my C2D MBP from 2007 with 4gb of RAM didn't have that issue on Yosemite. 

that's what i get on those but not on Moutain. Mind you i'm not talking of wake time, i'm saying from the moment the screen is on and it shows you the password prompt, i could press every key on my keyboard and try to move the mouse, no input is recorded for at least a minute, only after that i can type my password. And also the 5-10seconds delay between the time i press enter after entering the password and the actual login 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's what i get on those but not on Moutain. Mind you i'm not talking of wake time, i'm saying from the moment the screen is on and it shows you the password prompt, i could press every key on my keyboard and try to move the mouse, no input is recorded for at least a minute, only after that i can type my password. And also the 5-10seconds delay between the time i press enter after entering the password and the actual login 

Yeah....something is seriously going wrong on your system. It shouldn't be anywhere near that slow. Have you tried running any stress tests on the system (CPU, RAM, Drive, etc...)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah....something is seriously going wrong on your system. It shouldn't be anywhere near that slow. Have you tried running any stress tests on the system (CPU, RAM, Drive, etc...)?

never did a stress test on it. I would accept it to be a hardware problem if only it behaved the same way with Mountain, Mavericks too didn't give me issues, i'm on Mountain only because when i tried the upgrade to Yosemite and El i only had the Mountain Lion USB at hand and downloading Mavericks would have taken too long when i decided to downgrade. Also I tried both Yosemite and El three months after they're release just to avoid day one bugs.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

never did a stress test on it. I would accept it to be a hardware problem if only it behaved the same way with Mountain, Mavericks too didn't give me issues, i'm on Mountain only because when i tried the upgrade to Yosemite and El i only had the Mountain Lion USB at hand and downloading Mavericks would have taken too long when i decided to downgrade. Also I tried both Yosemite and El three months after they're release just to avoid day one bugs.

Well, Yosemite was noticeably heavier than Mavericks (which was relatively similar to mountain lion). My 2007 MBP ran Mavericks just fine, but it did get noticeably slower with Yosemite (but nowhere near what you're describing). It definitely sounds like something funny is going on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Are you sure about that? I tried using an NTFS drive even in Yosemite and I wasn't able to until I installed Pargaon NTFS for OSX.

Well I've never had issues reading or writing to NTFS drives on my hackintoshes, that might not mean a real Mac will have the same results though as there are many custom kexts you used to have to install when hackintoshing.

I know for certain that El Cap & Sierra can do it natively though as I've ran both of them and they only required a single custom kext in order to boot (FakeSMC though I do also have an Atheros kext for my NIC and a modified AppleHDA kext for my audio), before El Cap hackintoshing required the use of a legacy boot loader which was wayyyyyy more complicated to setup and required about 7 or 8 custom kexts in order to boot the OS on non apple hardware so it might be that one of these kext files handled NTFS support, honestly I just don't know for sure, most of the I didn't really know what they did, TonymacX86 said I needed them so I needed them :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Runs well on my rmbp 15 mid 2015 dg.  Razer needs to update Synapse though.  If i use a Razer mouse it goes ape and screen will flicker and then system will reboot 

Tried to install it. Surprising enough it doesn't have the wake up delay and unresponsive keyboard delay after wake that was present in Yosemite and El. Also doesn't heat up as much as they did, fans back at default minimum speed (2000rpm) and temps are staying at 38°~39°, with Yosemite and El this temp where only reachable if  it either was winter or i changed the minimum fan speed to 3000~3500rpm.

Stability wise i'm impressed, and that's on the old hard drive my mac shipped with (didn't want to deal with time machine to roll back to mountain if it was sheit), when i have time i may end up updating my SSD to Sierra to 

On 9/20/2016 at 7:01 PM, suicidalfranco said:

don't think so, i tried the update it was crap, tried formatting the partition and it still was crap, tried formatting the drive and give up on my boot camp partition (not really sad about it, been long since i had booted on windows any way, 1 year plus) and still ran like crap. Mind you i did that 3 months after the releases of months Yosemite and El Capitan. Mountain Lion simply runs better than those two on my machine for reason i'll never know, since it seems like i'm alone on this situation.

Gave up on that, MacBooks that have a discrete GPU will always run hotter and have worse battery life on Windows compared to OS X. As mostly to do with that it's not possible to switch between the iGPU and dGPU based on work load and that Windows will always use the dGPU. To counter the heat problem you can install a fan controller program but then you're sacrificing silence 

That's really weird. I'm sure most mobile gpu's support switching.

52 minutes ago, bobhays said:

There's some issue with bootcamp and gpu switching (I believe). 

36 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

It's still 10, just 10.12.

The name just got a rebrand. Probably because Windows now has Windows 10.

Or more likely to bring it in line with iOS, Watch OS, and TV OS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bobhays said:

it's an issue with apple not giving drivers to allow switching on bootcamp so it defaults to the dgpu if you have one

On 9/20/2016 at 1:45 PM, djdwosk97 said:

That's not exactly true. It's useful if you don't want to store cc information on some sites. And frankly, I trust apple with my cc information a lot more than I do a dozen retailers. 

And this is why Apple is the company with the highest amount of customer Credit Card details in the world.

On 9/28/2016 at 0:12 AM, bobhays said:

Fun fact. Most don't support good switching.

Only moderately decent GPUs do.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Fun fact. Most don't support good switching.

Only moderately decent GPUs do.

What do you mean by moderately decent? Like performance wise? new ones?

15 minutes ago, bobhays said:

What do you mean by moderately decent? Like performance wise? new ones?

No.

for Nvidia GPUs. The x50, x60, x70, and x80 mobile GPUs support good switching.

for Models like the x20, x30 and x40 aren't great.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No.

for Nvidia GPUs. The x50, x60, x70, and x80 mobile GPUs support good switching.

for Models like the x20, x30 and x40 aren't great.

Uhhh, what? There are definitely Optimus laptops with the x40M out there.

On 9/20/2016 at 1:15 PM, NinjaJc01 said:

OSX went ages ago. It's MacOS now. Why is this the end of MacOS?

nah, OSX was still a thing until the latest OS release

i like trains 🙂