the truth behind apple killing the headphone jack

HmmR

(Warning this is just my opinion)

1. Apple wanted more internal space,due to the dual cameras and the taptic engine

2. Going wireless and convince people to spend money on thier stupid air pods

3 beats..... Beats use the new w1 chip which makes them way more convinient and generates more cash

4.licensing.....apple can sell thier w1 cips (and make it so called "made for iphones") eating into the profits of other manufactures ..giving beats more money for celebrity endorsement,in turn increasing sales

basically to sum it up its crazy business strat and apple knows its gonna work cause there are so many apple fan boys who belives apple blindly

i would like to know your opinion on "why apple killed the headphone jack"

I was half expecting that video of the old toothless laughing man to show up. heh.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, HmmR said:

1. Apple wanted more internal space,due to the dual cameras and the taptic engine

3 beats..... Beats use the new w1 chip which makes them way more convinient and generates more cash

4.licensing.....apple can sell thier w1 cips (and make it so called "made for iphones") eating into the profits of other manufactures ..giving beats more money for celebrity endorsement,in turn increasing sales

basically to sum it up its crazy business strat and apple knows its gonna work cause there are so many apple fan boys who belives apple blindly

totally agree with all of those. but if they got rid of the headphone jack to save space, them why did they keep it on the iphone se, it is smaller that a 6 and 6+

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

This move will probably make mores sense a year or two done the road when other phone manufactures follow suit. Apple is famous for doing things that the world thinks is stupid but somehow works. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I think they also fitted in their new barometric sensor. For tracking your steps even inside a house...

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

8 minutes ago, SSL said:

What does this have to do with audio.

What does a 3.5mm cable carry?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

What does a 3.5mm cable carry?

In case it isn't obvious, this thread isn't about audio. It's some kind of speculative circle jerk on Apple business practices.

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

This move will probably make mores sense a year or two done the road when other phone manufactures follow suit. Apple is famous for doing things that the world thinks is stupid but somehow works. 

True ,but this change is a difficult one cause almost all phone and headphone manufacturers have to kill the headphone jack or else companies will use headphone jack a selling point (this might be the beginning of the end for iphones)

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

totally agree with all of those. but if they got rid of the headphone jack to save space, them why did they keep it on the iphone se, it is smaller that a 6 and 6+

I agree with all of those as well, though I don't buy the 'save internal space' argument as much. To a degree, there is some truth to it, but if you look at the ifixit teardown, there's a little piece of plastic where the jack would be. It's supposedly to help equalize the pressure in the phone due to the 'waterproofness.' It'd be tight, but I do believe they could have kept a 3.5mm jack in there.

IMO, the move was more about locking down the ecosystem even more than 'looking towards the future.' All of those credit card readers that small businesses and vendors use, use the 3.5mm headphone jack. Without the jack, those are more or less rendered useless until the hardware is updated; and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't work solely via Lightning port forcing people into Apple Pay. Then there's the whole adapters and typical Apple extra accessory crap to make basic functionality possible. I personally don't care that much, I'm never going to buy an iPhone, I just hope all of the other companies don't follow just because Apple did it.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

In case it isn't obvious, this thread isn't about audio. It's some kind of speculative circle jerk on Apple business practices.

I doubt there is thread to talk about apples bussiness..... The closes thing this topic is related is audio

I just lost my apple earpods by thinking about them

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, HmmR said:

I doubt there is thread to talk about apples bussiness..... The closes thing this topic is related is audio

Off topic or general discussion. Putting topics like this, where the is no actual information under discussion, just creates unnecessary noise in this section.

1 minute ago, HmmR said:

No, probably general discussion. No harm done, everyone has misplaced a thread at some point.

4 minutes ago, HmmR said:

True ,but this change is a difficult one cause almost all phone and headphone manufacturers have to kill the headphone jack or else companies will use headphone jack a selling point (this might be the beginning of the end for iphones)

Sure, but i disagree. The Iphone 6 is still the most used smartphone, and i dont see that changing anytime soon. While removing the 3.5mm jack was a leap, it positively changes the device. Wireless headphones have been gaining popularity, and this may be the push it needs in order to really capture the market. In addition, headphone manufactures are going to adapt to match the marketplace. If a large portion of the market uses devices that dont have a 3.5mm jack, then they will begin manufacturing other options. Other companies may try to use the 3.5mm as a selling point, but as soon as people realize that its a minor inconvenience to not have one, many other companies may likely follow.  Far more likely, this is the beginning of the end for the 3.5mm connector. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

29 minutes ago, HmmR said:

Just in case you didn't know, they actually stuck a Barometer inside the space where the 3.5mm jack would be.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12941040/iphone-7-teardown-plastic-behind-where-headphone-jack-used-to-be

So it wasn't due to the camera or the taptic engine. Nor was it to "save space", since they didn't make the phone smaller, they put something totally new inside.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Sure, but i disagree. The Iphone 6 is still the most used smartphone, and i dont see that changing anytime soon. While removing the 3.5mm jack was a leap, it positively changes the device. 

I guess they could eliminate the screen in order to save space and reduce weight. Someone will call it a positive change.

7 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Wireless headphones have been gaining popularity, and this may be the push it needs in order to really capture the market. In addition, headphone manufactures are going to adapt to match the marketplace. If a large portion of the market uses devices that dont have a 3.5mm jack, then they will begin manufacturing other options. 

Wireless headphones have been around for ages. That's what we currently have: a choice. You don't need a new iPhone to use wireless headphones, but you do need a different phone or an adapter to use a normal headphone.

Removing a port reduces choices, hence it subtracts value. The only harmless (not positive, just harmless) removal of a choice is when said choice is already not used by the vast majority (for example, look at the evolution of non-Apple motherboards over time).

You can argue they needed to do it in order to add a different feature, in which case the net value of the change will depend on your personal preferences for both the feature added and the one removed. But even in that case, removing the port is a cost, not a benefit, and all that is left to "discuss" is whether it was worth it (which is a subjective appreciation based on personal use cases).

28 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

The Iphone 6 is still the most used smartphone

Do you have a source for that? I'm pretty sure you're full of BS on that one.

46 minutes ago, Heinz57 said:

I think they also fitted in their new barometric sensor. For tracking your steps even inside a house...

You are aware that a barometer is for sensing atmospheric pressure/altitude, right? What is that going to do to help with tracking steps? My galaxy s7 tracks my steps just fine using an accelerometer.

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Just in case you didn't know, they actually stuck a Barometer inside the space where the 3.5mm jack would be.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12941040/iphone-7-teardown-plastic-behind-where-headphone-jack-used-to-be

So it wasn't due to the camera or the taptic engine. Nor was it to "save space", since they didn't make the phone smaller, they put something totally new inside.

They put something different inside. I wouldn't really call it totally new. Also, Barometers are tiny. Why would they need to remove the entire jack just to put one in there? I think it has turned into a convenient excuse, rather than a real reason.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I'm confused. 

You state it's the truth in the title, but then say it's all opinion in the body of the post. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Do you have a source for that? I'm pretty sure you're full of BS on that one.

You are aware that a barometer is for sensing atmospheric pressure/altitude, right? What is that going to do to help with tracking steps? My galaxy s7 tracks my steps just fine using an accelerometer.

They put something different inside. I wouldn't really call it totally new. Also, Barometers are tiny. Why would they need to remove the entire jack just to put one in there? I think it has turned into a convenient excuse, rather than a real reason.

I would call a barometic sensor something "totally new", yes. Since it did not exist in previous iPhones. That's new.

Not that I particularly see large value in that, personally.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would call a barometic sensor something "totally new", yes. Since it did not exist in previous iPhones. That's new.

Not that I particularly see large value in that, personally.

I mean, it's totally new in an iphone, but it's not like the technology it new, or that other phones haven't had them before...

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I stand corrected. Thank you for taking the time to show me some sources! 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

28 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I guess they could eliminate the screen in order to save space and reduce weight. Someone will call it a positive change.

Longer battery life. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch