I cannot get ANY overclock! Everything I try fails around 2 hours of stress testing. (repost under the correct category)

Rectro800

First of all I would like to say is this a repost, I accidentally posted this under the wrong category thinking it was Troubleshooting. I was wrong. This is what I said in my original post:

First of all I would like to say this is my first ever PC build. I learned how to build the PC from watching Linus's videos along with many others.

The PC runs great, and I am super happy with the results. I researched overclocking the 5820k and I got an understanding on what I should be doing regarding the voltages and the clock speeds.

I started overclocking the CPU the same way Linus explained in his video where he is overclocking the same cpu. I put mine at 4.5 GHz with the CPU Core voltage at 1.3v. I downloaded the trial version of AIDA64 and started stress testing with everything checked except the local disks and gpu. Didn't pass, but I thought that wouldnt be a problem, just raise the voltage. Well I ended up raising the voltage to about ~1.335v (Its where I felt comfortable regarding the temps. It was lying around the 80º mark at that point.); it didnt pass the test. Long story short, I did this process over and over again going lower and lower on my CPU clock. My last stress test was 4.0 GHz 1.33v and it was still failing the stress test. This doesn't make sense to me because everyone else gets min 4.3 GHz on their overclocks. One strange behavior I noticed is that around ~1.33v every stress test easily passed 15 min, but would fail between 1~3 hours. Also, no matter what, if I put on XMP to have the ram run at the rated 2400MHz the stress test would never get past 15 min.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my system, or did I just get dud cpu that doesnt like overclocking?

System Specs:

MB: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbón (BIOS Ver: E7A20IMS.110)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k 3.30GHz

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61

Memory: 4 sticks of 8Gb Geil Luce DDR4 2400MHz (running at default of 2133MHz)

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB SSD + 4x WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm in raid 10

PSU: EVGA 650 GQ

Case: NZXT H440 (white/black)

Window 10 Home Edition 64 bit

Thank you

Sorry again about the double post. If anyone has any ideas about what is going on, please let me know.

Have you tried overclocking in bios? There might be an option to adjust voltage automatically.

17 minutes ago, Lemonpearl said:

Have you tried overclocking in bios? There might be an option to adjust voltage automatically.

All of the overclocking I have done has been through the bios. The only settings I've touched was been the multiplier and the core voltage. Are you suggesting I put the core voltage on Auto and just mess with the multiplier?

PS: I just finished updating the bios to version 1.2. I thought it was the newest version, but apparently MSI's live update didnt do a great job giving me the latest version.

Edited by Rectro800

Firstly, some chips overclock better than others, even if its the same model. People have reported easily getting the i7 5960X to 4.5Ghz stable but I cannot get mine stable above 4.2Ghz.

Also, you're going about overclocking the wrong way. The proper way to overclock is to do small increases, say 200-400 Mhz (I usually do 200Mhz at a time) and then stress test. If the small increase passed the test, then add another 200-400Mhz. Keep doing this until you fail the test, then add a bit of voltage and run the test again. Once you have added enough voltage to stabilize, resume adding Mhz in small increments. Keep doing this over and over until you're at a voltage you feel comfortable with. 

7 minutes ago, BlargKing said:

Firstly, some chips overclock better than others, even if its the same model. People have reported easily getting the i7 5960X to 4.5Ghz stable but I cannot get mine stable above 4.2Ghz.

Also, you're going about overclocking the wrong way. The proper way to overclock is to do small increases, say 200-400 Mhz (I usually do 200Mhz at a time) and then stress test. If the small increase passed the test, then add another 200-400Mhz. Keep doing this until you fail the test, then add a bit of voltage and run the test again. Once you have added enough voltage to stabilize, resume adding Mhz in small increments. Keep doing this over and over until you're at a voltage you feel comfortable with. 

The thing is I am maxing out the voltage I can do with this cooler but nothing is stable, even with max voltage. I do want to incrementally adjust the voltage lower once I find the fastest speed my cpu can run at, but it doesnt seem to cooperate at any speed.

Edited by Rectro800

As others have mentioned you seem to ahve jumped straight to trying to OC by a big amount... that's defintely not the way to go. Start off with small jumps in multiplier, keep going and testing each time until you get a BSOD. Then reset the CMOS if you need to, and try again from where you got to, but add a bit more voltage to the vcore... if it BSOD again, then try again, again add a bit more voltage until it seems stable under stress test.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

did you enable xmp?

When I did the results were worse. The stress tests wouldnt even get past 15 min where as I could get anywhere between 1-3 hours with any multiplier without xmp. I just find it strange that it is consistently between 1-3 hours whether the CPU is at 4.0 GHz or 4.5 GHz

IF you turned XMP on once, turn it back off and reset the bios to defaults and clear the cmos.  bump the clock up 100 mhz higher than stock turbo (1 multiplier)  with .05 voltage increase and try again

it might not be the cpu thats causing the instability.  can you post your voltage settings before you reset

26 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

IF you turned XMP on once, turn it back off and reset the bios to defaults and clear the cmos.  bump the clock up 100 mhz higher than stock turbo (1 multiplier)  with .05 voltage increase and try again

it might not be the cpu thats causing the instability.  can you post your voltage settings before you reset

Ok, I cleared the cmos, and I set the CPU ratio to 34 and the Core Voltage to 1.05. I think this is what you want me to do. (Sorry I am still new to this.)

Here is a photo of the overclock settings.

IMG_20160916_174254.jpg

3 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

can you see the system agent  and cache voltages?

These are my voltage settings.

14740629206461713658705.jpg

you need to make channels a/b/c/d match on the voltage.  set the one you have highlighted to 1.2 and run the stress test

actually.. i see thats  auto.  how many sticks are you using?  still .. set both to 1.2 manually and run the test 

3 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

you need to make channels a/b/c/d match on the voltage.  set the one you have highlighted to 1.2 and run the stress test

actually.. i see thats  auto.  how many sticks are you using?  still .. set both to 1.2 manually and run the test 

How long of a stress test? 15 min? and I have 4 sticks of 8gb.

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

yeah do a avx stress test for 15 and lets see what the temps look like.  I just read that the unstable SA voltage is 1.25 so go ahead and set that to .9 and give it a shot

I do not know which stress test that is. As soon as I figure that out, I will post the results of the stress tests here.

ok. looks like you have some room to play around.   download intel xtu if you dont have it already. and keep it on standby.   go back into bios and add .1 to the vcore and add 2 more multipliers.  then reboot

The vccin is already set automatically to 1.904, you want me to lower it?