I cannot get ANY overclock! Everything I try fails around 2 hours of stress testing. (repost under the correct category)

Rectro800

also, I forgot to say I only had Aida up just as a monitor, not as stress test.

I will take a look at the Bios as soon as I get back.

I couldn't find where I could change that in the bios. Any ideas what other name it could have? Also I am cooling with water. NZXT Kraken x61 AIO

I already set that number to 41. Its probably just not updating on XTU. I need to double check that other setting though. When you said change the multiplier on the Max non turbo boost I thought it was something else. After I change that I do the Realbench benchmark? Or the stress test as well?

Once you verify the cpu is running at 4.1 non turbo, then you can just run the bemchmark.  If/when it passes we will try 4.2, 4.3  etc until we find the limit of 1.2 volts.  

Just view the task manager for the actual clock speed.   You can also turn speed step off  for now.  Well turn it back on after we find stable max

Please post a photo of task manager a minute or. So into realbench.  

sorry to take so long to reply.

I did what you said, set the multiplier to 41, disabled enhanced turbo, and turned off speed step.

Here is what task manager is showing, and cpuz as well. I will stress test with XTU and benchmark Realbench and post the results. If you give the thumbs up I will start raising the multiplier a step at a time until one of the tests fail.

specs 1.png

Some quick Google research seems to show that some  haswell e chip/board combos may require turbo mode enabled to get the expected results.   I also read that even wuth turbo off,  sometimes the mobo will read the turbo. Multiplier as maximum.   The reason we dont want to use turbo,  is the power application that turbo mode uses.   We want to Control the power ourself.   

Regardless,  let me know if it's hitting 4.1 now,  and if it's not well work around it.  

Ya, you are right, its not budging from 3.3 GHz. Its set to, and displays, 4.1 through the Bios, but when it boots to windows it doesnt go higher than 3.3.

This is so strange. Its not budging. And check out the second screenshot. When the cpu is at idle, it bounces between 3.3 GHz and this value. Is this the issue you are talking about?wrong speed 1.pngwrong speed 2.png

These are the options I have. I think because I cant change the Max non turbo boost ratio its overriding what I set in the bios, and resetting back to 3.3.

Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, Rectro800 said:

These are the options I have. I think because I cant change the Max non turbo boost ratio its overriding what I set in the bios, and resetting back to 3.3.

Untitled.png

Ok..  Next best thing since we cant use the core ratio ..  Turn the turbo max short power to disable and then turn turbo back on at 41.

Set windows performance plan to high performance and run xtu stress test

Ok, I'll do that next. Its super late here, so I will get back to you tomorrow.

Just now, Rectro800 said:

Ok, I'll do that next. Its super late here, so I will get back to you tomorrow.

Ok.   There is a couple more power setting you need to tweak. To.   Over in the colum where it says turbo Power 4095, we want that to say 200 for now.  (or less if you prefer)  then save that profile.  Ill be around tomorrow... Just watching football 

OK, so I played around with the settings. Turbo Power won't allow me to set 200W, but jumps to 175W instead. To turn on Turbo boost I need to enable Speed Step. Either way the multiplier won't move from 33.

Well...  Looks like your gonna have to use it that way then.   I like to get rid of all the variables doing an initial oc but you don't have a choice.  Go ahead and cut it all back on, except for the turbo power increase.   Play with it till you get it to run at 4.1 consistently without downclocking.  Once you get that were ready to move on.   

The photo you posted yesterday at 12:07 shows  some throttling on the package temperature.   It just flattened them drops right there at the end.   What I'm looking for is a good solid steady temperature,  along with voltage,  clock,  etc.   That really needs to be the focus before you go higher.  I'm not really familiar with the msi boards so I'm not sure which bios settings you will need to adjust.  Its unfortunate you can't disable turbo.  

I will play with it some more. I may even try putting everything back to default because this is not letting me move the clock from 3.3GHz. I will let you know when I get results of some change.

here is an example of my system runing handbrake. notice there is a 1-2 degree swing in the temps.  this is what i expect to see when I run the realbench stress test. unlike the photo of yours that showed large rises and falls (indicating throttling)   stress test image 1.jpg

I haven't really messed with the computer yet. Just wanted to take a breather from it and work on other stuff. I will probably try again tomorrow. I get what you are seeing though. Mine had a strange wave pattern going on.