Can you vibrate a computer apart with a subwoofer/speaker?

Con

I've had this idea of building a computer inside of a speaker, and instead of using the mesh covered speakers as fans, I've been thinking about attaching them to the motherboard as the centre speaker, or use a separate sound card (usb) to make it a separate audio device, like for VoIP.

I thought about making sure the speaker is significantly under-powered so that it doesn't constantly vibrate the internal components of the computer, but that it's loud enough for use as a surround or voice call speaker.

I was just wondering if you could vibrate a computer to death, maybe make the RAM come loose and cause crashes, even though the plan is the mount the motherboard to the back of the speaker, directly underneath/behind the magnets of the speaker components. Maybe SO-DIMM wouldn't shake apart?

Let me know if you're aware of any problems that vibrations can cause to a computer, and it's fans and other components. It may use solid state drives apposed to mechanical, and it might have an optical disk in the speaker as well.

This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, sorry. It may work for a little bit, but I think components will get damaged relatively quickly over time compared to if you built a computer in a regular case.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Just now, failblox said:

This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, sorry. It may work for a little bit, but I think components will get damaged relatively quickly over time compared to if you built a computer in a regular case.

I see, I may just stick with plan B, to take the speakers out and use them as fans.

3 minutes ago, Con said:

I see, I may just stick with plan B, to take the speakers out and use them as fans.

Should be fine as there are amps built into speaks that will work for decades.

A good subwoofer won't shake the box.

well there's only one way to find out... ;) 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should be fine as there are amps built into speaks that will work for decades.

A good subwoofer won't shake the box.

My main concern isn't the box shaking from being loud, it's the sound waves themselves. Ever been to those indoor raves where the sound waves vibrate your whole skeletal system? Well, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like for the insides of a computer to be directly behind it and if some connections could come loose from being vibrated too much.

The physical vibration probably wouldn't hurt the components, as powered subs have been around forever with amplifiers inside. An optical drive however could very possibly have issues as heavy vibration could cause it to "skip"

What may be the most harmful, especially with non-solid state storage would be the gigantic magnet on the Subwoofer driver itself.

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air

1 minute ago, rmurad38 said:

The physical vibration probably wouldn't hurt the components, as powered subs have been around forever with amplifiers inside.

What may be harmful, especially with non-solid state storage would be the gigantic magnet on the Subwoofer driver itself.

I suppose. I have seen that motherboards go through vibration tests before they're shipped anyway. And yeah, I was wondering what parts of a computer would be magnet friendly. I guess I shouldn't put a floppy disk drive in there either.

i would be wary of the magnetism as well

Core i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz cooled by a Corsair H100i GTX
EVGA Z170 FTW w/ 16gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3333mhz
EVGA GTX980 SC @ 1501mhz
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M w/ EVGA 1000 P2
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 512GB -- OS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB -- games

16 minutes ago, Con said:

You can vibrate basically anything to death. Mechanical HDDs would be at risk due to their moving parts (not suitable for vibrations) and the massive magnet inside a sub. Fans would also be an issue, and I'd worry about using a big air cooler on the CPU, that swaying around could put a lot of stress on the socket.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

pretty sure it's relatively safe, you need to watch out for the wofer magnet(s) erasing the harddrives & the general vibrations shaking the  power connections loose overtime when you're working on something critical & it goes off without a warning & presuming the weight from the CPU cooler(assuming big) & GPU along with the sound vibrations could weaken the motherboard

Details separate people.

Short answer, no. Long answer would involve a discussion about resonant frequencies of the different components. Only thing you need to be careful about is air movement. Subwoofers move a lot of air, so just make sure that everything is secure. It doesn't sound very practical though, as you'll probably end up with a shitty speaker and maybe even a computer with a limited lifetime because of the magnet in the speakers.

Don't forget, they put processors and flash memory in everything... even cars. It's unlikely your subwoofer is going to cause more vibration than a 4,000 to 8,000 lb rolling bounce house.

The biggest issue is the hard drive. Make sure you use an SSD inside the cabinet. However, outside the cabinet, even my dual 18-inch subs can't take out my external 2TB WD drive. It still keeps going.

It sounds a lot worse than it really will be. Do it if you want to experiment, have fun, and try something new. Plan and budget for unexpected issues (just like with any project), and don't sweat the details.

Sounds good. But you MUST have some kind of shielding on your amplifier and use shielded drivers. Otherwise, you will have an unbearable amount of interference. I had placed a home theater subwoofer next to my pc, and it basically whines all day long.

Hold on, some issues.

Cooling?

How?

Any holes you put in the speaker will negativity effect sound, and volume.

Same issue for the Io.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think your biggest concern is nothing to do with sound and more the fact that speakers use magnets and you want to build a computer next to a massive magnet

3 hours ago, spwath said:

Any holes you put in the speaker will negativity effect sound, and volume.

It's called a port, bro :)

7 minutes ago, JohnT said:

It's called a port, bro :)

You could be creative and use existing ports, if there were two, as intakes and exhausts.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

20 minutes ago, spwath said:

You could be creative and use existing ports, if there were two, as intakes and exhausts.

The OP didn't really mention what components he's trying to put into a speaker, but if it's something relatively "low power" like i5-6000k series with modest OC and a GTX1060 stock, he should be fine with one port. Or I don't know it will probably result in a 1 to 5 C increase in temps.

Hmm I just realized the OP said he wants to put this in a speaker... I thought he was trying to stuff this into a subwoofer. Speakers use significantly smaller magnets, so why others are tripping about that makes no sense. But dang that is going to be one massive speaker to house an ATX mobo and GPU. I don't even think that could fit in my center speaker and the drivers they came with.

Shielded speakers will completely solve the magnet issue. As for the heat issue. You cannot drill holes into a speaker box as they need to be airtight or close to it for the sound signature to be maintained. They technically also need to maintain the same internal air volume... so a pc inside would certainly affect that. But the volume thing will only change the low frequency tuning slightly. So you could put the pc inside, it would need to be boxed, like a air tight section that is placed inside the speaker cabinet, and it would need to have ventilation and fans out of the back or side of the cabinet. So basically you isolate the pc section and ventilate it.

you really in the end, just end up putting a small form factor pc case into your speaker cabinet...

20 hours ago, Con said:

I've had this idea of building a computer inside of a speaker, and instead of using the mesh covered speakers as fans, I've been thinking about attaching them to the motherboard as the centre speaker, or use a separate sound card (usb) to make it a separate audio device, like for VoIP.

I thought about making sure the speaker is significantly under-powered so that it doesn't constantly vibrate the internal components of the computer, but that it's loud enough for use as a surround or voice call speaker.

I was just wondering if you could vibrate a computer to death, maybe make the RAM come loose and cause crashes, even though the plan is the mount the motherboard to the back of the speaker, directly underneath/behind the magnets of the speaker components. Maybe SO-DIMM wouldn't shake apart?

Let me know if you're aware of any problems that vibrations can cause to a computer, and it's fans and other components. It may use solid state drives apposed to mechanical, and it might have an optical disk in the speaker as well.

• Speakers vibrate, alot. While you will surely be able to find or build machines that are resistant to this, there will definitely be some problems. Stress/time = failure.
  • Speakers are basically gigantic magnets, and computers hate magnets, so take that one however you want. 
  • Attaching a computer to a speaker in any way will reduce the sound quality of the speaker (it will change all sorts of T/S values all around). 

All of the above means that you can do this, but if you do all you will be left with is a shitty sounding speaker and a computer that will either break immediately or will break soon while experiencing many crashes and drive failures due to large and constant magnetic field fluctuations.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME