4790k vs 6600k

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

4790K because of of its threads.

so really the only main difference between i5 and i7 would be hyper threading?

Just now, DeadlyPilot said:

Yup, and some lower TDP and 14nm with the 6600K.

1 minute ago, DeadlyPilot said:

The 6600k is about 10% faster at the same clockspeeds in programs that can't use more than 4 cores. But games are starting to leverage more cores and threads. Plus even a 6600k will bottleneck a 1070/1080 in some games, whereas a 4790k will not. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, DeadlyPilot said:

Better in both single and hyper threaded performance. Also uses less power

Also i7 has higher clock speed (3.5 vs 4.0)

57 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

They're both unlocked for oc'ing so oc'ing should be assumed. 

The 6600k's platform brings new features and power savings but the 4790k will perform better. How much better it will perform will depend on what you're doing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Better in both single and hyper threaded performance. Also uses less power

No, the 6600k is skylake and still has better single core performance even though it is 500MHz slower.

This is a game that uses 4 threads or less:

Image result for 6600k vs 4790k

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

which is better and by how much?

Depends on what you currently own. If buying everything new, might as well get a 6700k rather than the 4790k, prices are very similar. If you do have some stuff already, we need to know what it is before recommending which one to buy.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4790K > 6600K

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR