AMD VS Intel Two Different Builds, What to Pick?

Go with the Xeon as it's an i7 but cheaper. You just can't OC but there is no need to unless you want 1 extra FPS in games

That was my point about OC'ing lol. 

HAHA. No thank you Mr. Postman, the day I buy a 600 dollar processor is the day I have either 3 jobs or I have one job that pays me over 100K a year.

that's the point. If you have no budget and you want the best that's what you have to pay. 8320 OCed to 4.5ghz will handle any today's games and it's $400+ cheaper.

well everything he said is not bullshit. more cores= better but a qaud core will preform better in gaming. but in rendering a 6 core will make you happy. also if you want to go intel you dont need to buy at least a 6 core( which you called (mp.postman) said. i think postman said that 4770k is a bad choice but its not but u have a tiny budget thats why i would recommend a AMD Fx8320 build or a i5 4670k

compared in price 4770k is a bad choice. Why spend $300 when you can get 8320 for half the price? Yes 4770k is better, but not to the point I need to spend double the money.

The Xeon is a 275 dollars i7. That is a STEAL in terms of pricing. Also it;s confirmed mantle support is on Intel CPU's too.

yet your going to spend $75 more when the $199 8350 exceeds it in every way.

Intell will always be the leading company in CPU's. If you we're game design, or high end editing then I'd suggest a workstation build with SLI titian and 3990 6 core. It's a budget PC, so list the bank for buck not fanboy BS.

Call me what you want, but benchmarks/facts is clearly posted. Postman over and out.

http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/tgunsg35/slideshow/PC%20build

Gaming rig: ASUS|CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z-CASE CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 BLK-ASUS HD7970 3G Crossfire-PSU CORSAIR AX1200i-CPU AMD FX-8350-CORSAIR 8g 1600DDR3-DVD BRN ASUS-CORSAIR H100I R-CORSAIR CSSD-F240GBG-ACER B6 B276HULymiidprz Black 27 1440p

8320 isn't a legit 8 core CPU. 

trust me that i7 is much more powerfull than that "8" core AMD. i have i7 3770 non k version but it has 43 multiplayer unlocked so i can/have it OCed to 4.3 ghz by 43x multi. i am sure i7 4770 is the same. i have benched my cpu in vantage, super pi, wprime, fritz chess and that AMD can never have this results on 4.5-4.6 ghz which are reachable speeds for good air cooler everything up and you need custom water cooling (wich is very expencive) i suggest intel of course.

about videocard i suggest you to wait until mantle is out and we can talk about advantegis of this technology. on that i7 you can stick with hd 4600 for a while until mantle. wich is very powerfull for IGPU and can wath blue-ray films even on 4k tv

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

You had a V1 Xeon? Sandy Bridge right? That's why it sucked. Ivy and higher Xeons rule and gaming, there's a video of a guy playing Crysis 3 on his E3 Xeon V2 1230 and it kicks the games arse. 

I wouldn't call it a V1 Xeon. That would be the Pentium 2 Xeon released in the late 90s :D

Crysis 3 wants cores and mhz. It's really as simple as that. The more you can hand it? the better the results. In Crysis 3 AMD win hands down. The 8320 sits between the 3570k and 3770k and pretty even with the 4670k. However, due to the clocking abilities the AMDs have the 8320 is the better CPU to have.

It also depends what you mean when you say kicking the games arse. IMO the only system that could do that would be something in X79 with two or more Titans. It's an incredibly complex engine that takes an epic amount of horsepower to run it properly.

Xeons are locked, thus, not even in the running to me. Same goes for any other locked Intel CPU. The only Intel worth having is the 4770k or above. Why? because the 8320 is up there punching everything Intel produce below the 4770k so at that price/performance point none of the Intels are worth having. They're more expensive, and Haswell is a known hot potato requiring serious luck to get it to clock high. You're pretty much guaranteed 4.8ghz out of any AMD CPU..

Intel only locked their CPUs because they want to force people into paying a premium. That's it - there is no other reason. So from the moment Clarkdale was phased out (the epic I3 1156) they completely started taking the piss.

What they're doing now? well basically it has nothing to do with desktop computers. They're shrinking dies, which is killing overclocking. They're moving into the mobile division for lots of reasons, but mainly because desktop sales are slumping. However, they don't mind screwing you out of a few bucks for the privilege of overclocking a hot bloody potato that can't be soldered to the IHS because it will crack the die. In short? they're not even desktop CPUs. They were designed and made to go in laptops where power usage is critical.

My Xeon did not even last me a year for the £148 I paid for it. It was fine when I got it, but, as 2013 started to hand me some really heavy and quite stunning games? it just fell on its face as the games wanted more and more cores and higher clock speeds. That's what will happen to a Xeon every single time a new game is launched. Every one with a K series or AMD will just overclock to make up the deficit, leaving those who bought locked chips looking for a new one.

11 months. £148 for eleven fucking months. Last time I ever go Intel. 

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

trust me that i7 is much more powerfull than that "8" core AMD. i have i7 3770 non k version but it has 43 multiplayer unlocked so i can/have it OCed to 4.3 ghz by 43x multi. i am sure i7 4770 is the same. i have benched my cpu in vantage, super pi, wprime, fritz chess and that AMD can never have this results on 4.5-4.6 ghz which are reachable speeds for good air cooler everything up and you need custom water cooling (wich is very expencive) i suggest intel of course.

about videocard i suggest you to wait until mantle is out and we can talk about advantegis of this technology. on that i7 you can stick with hd 4600 for a while until mantle. wich is very powerfull for IGPU and can wath blue-ray films even on 4k tv

Haswell has LOCKED down their Xeon's It's physically impossible to overclock them. Also great water cooling is under 100 dollars, which if you think about what it can do for you, is totally worth it. 

I wouldn't call it a V1 Xeon. That would be the Pentium 2 Xeon released in the late 90s :D

Crysis 3 wants cores and mhz. It's really as simple as that. The more you can hand it? the better the results. In Crysis 3 AMD win hands down. The 8320 sits between the 3570k and 3770k and pretty even with the 4670k. However, due to the clocking abilities the AMDs have the 8320 is the better CPU to have.

It also depends what you mean when you say kicking the games arse. IMO the only system that could do that would be something in X79 with two or more Titans. It's an incredibly complex engine that takes an epic amount of horsepower to run it properly.

Xeons are locked, thus, not even in the running to me. Same goes for any other locked Intel CPU. The only Intel worth having is the 4770k or above. Why? because the 8320 is up there punching everything Intel produce below the 4770k so at that price/performance point none of the Intels are worth having. They're more expensive, and Haswell is a known hot potato requiring serious luck to get it to clock high. You're pretty much guaranteed 4.8ghz out of any AMD CPU..

Intel only locked their CPUs because they want to force people into paying a premium. That's it - there is no other reason. So from the moment Clarkdale was phased out (the epic I3 1156) they completely started taking the piss.

What they're doing now? well basically it has nothing to do with desktop computers. They're shrinking dies, which is killing overclocking. They're moving into the mobile division for lots of reasons, but mainly because desktop sales are slumping. However, they don't mind screwing you out of a few bucks for the privilege of overclocking a hot bloody potato that can't be soldered to the IHS because it will crack the die. In short? they're not even desktop CPUs. They were designed and made to go in laptops where power usage is critical.

My Xeon did not even last me a year for the £148 I paid for it. It was fine when I got it, but, as 2013 started to hand me some really heavy and quite stunning games? it just fell on its face as the games wanted more and more cores and higher clock speeds. That's what will happen to a Xeon every single time a new game is launched. Every one with a K series or AMD will just overclock to make up the deficit, leaving those who bought locked chips looking for a new one.

11 months. £148 for eleven fucking months. Last time I ever go Intel. 

I'm going to assume in 2014 or 2015 if you ever feel like upgrading the CPU you'll be going to AMD Steamroller? 

I'm going to assume in 2014 or 2015 if you ever feel like upgrading the CPU you'll be going to AMD Steamroller? 

TBH mate I shouldn't need an upgrade now for years. The consoles have 8 core Jaguar CPUs (or similar, can't remember the Xbox specs because it was inferior to the PS4) which operate at pretty crippled frequencies. If Crysis 3 and the other 8 threaded games are anything to go by? I'll be fine. Any PC built to run the original Crysis would have lasted years.

If AMD get this HSA and Mantle thing right? you won't have to keep upgrading all the time. Things are changing now and throwing brute force at PC games should become a thing of the past. You may even find an APU is able to do the job.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Been reading AlienwareAndy post for years. Speaks the truth.

Gaming rig: ASUS|CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z-CASE CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 BLK-ASUS HD7970 3G Crossfire-PSU CORSAIR AX1200i-CPU AMD FX-8350-CORSAIR 8g 1600DDR3-DVD BRN ASUS-CORSAIR H100I R-CORSAIR CSSD-F240GBG-ACER B6 B276HULymiidprz Black 27 1440p

TBH mate I shouldn't need an upgrade now for years. The consoles have 8 core Jaguar CPUs (or similar, can't remember the Xbox specs because it was inferior to the PS4) which operate at pretty crippled frequencies. If Crysis 3 and the other 8 threaded games are anything to go by? I'll be fine. Any PC built to run the original Crysis would have lasted years.

If AMD get this HSA and Mantle thing right? you won't have to keep upgrading all the time. Things are changing now and throwing brute force at PC games should become a thing of the past. You may even find an APU is able to do the job.

Again though, the FX-8320 isn't really a TRUE 8 core, but that's also if mantle is done correctly. PS: I can never see an APU playing a game higher than Med. Settings 1080p over 30FPS lol. 

lol 54 votes each :P

Going to ignore that because AMD is generally always winning, Intel just catches up sometimes, the people who vote intel just vote and don't comment why showing that they are probably just fanboys who always go Intel and don't even consider AMD. Meaning they know none of the big pros/cons with choosing between the two. 

I don't trust brands like that. 

ECS products have never failed on me, and as you can see, I'm running an ECS board at 4.2 GHz.

The board does have a good value, with $170 features at a $120 price.

ECS products have never failed on me, and as you can see, I'm running an ECS board at 4.2 GHz.

The board does have a good value, with $170 features at a $120 price.

I changed my mind and probably will only OC the 8320 to 4.2Ghz to make it an 8350. The stock cooler is just fine for this because on an 8350 the stock cooler keeps the CPU at 63c. Which isn't too bad. Therefore I have lower the motherboard down to an ASUS 970. 

Again though, the FX-8320 isn't really a TRUE 8 core, but that's also if mantle is done correctly. PS: I can never see an APU playing a game higher than Med. Settings 1080p over 30FPS lol. 

Yeah, it is a true 8 core. Think of it like this.

AMD take four dual cored processor modules, sans the memory controller and etc. Four raw Phenom 2 X2, if you will (I'm perfectly aware they're not Deneb cores are were derived from Magny Cours). Then put one in each corner of a die, then slap a controller interface in the middle.

They then realise that their controller is inefficient and revise it with Piledriver. AMD FX 8 cpus ARE 8 core. They're just not 8 completely separate cores mate. It's like having a quad slot motherboard and putting four core 2 duos in it. 8 PHYSICAL cores.

I changed my mind and probably will only OC the 8320 to 4.2Ghz to make it an 8350. The stock cooler is just fine for this because on an 8350 the stock cooler keeps the CPU at 63c. Which isn't too bad. Therefore I have lower the motherboard down to an ASUS 970. 

4.2ghz surpasses the 8350. The 8350 only turbos to 4.2ghz on one core. IIRC it turbos all 8 to 4ghz, though it could be lower.

FX 8320 turbos one core to 3.7ghz and all 8 to 3.5ghz. So basically if you get it locked to all 8 cores @ 4.2ghz you're ahead of the 8350. However, both CPUs are pretty much identical. I didn't really believe it until recently when I started posting to this thread here at Overclockers UK.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18544198

And realised that pretty much all FX 8 core 83x0 can do 4.8ghz stable on a good board and 5-5.2ghz for brief periods (good for benching).

If they launch it on AM3+? it depends if I need it mate. I'm not into wasting money on PCs I want to see a definite return for my money. That's why the Xeon was the worst purchase I had ever made. Didn't even last a year and wasn't what I would call cheap !

Apols to all for the multiple posts. 

4.2ghz surpasses the 8350. The 8350 only turbos to 4.2ghz on one core. IIRC it turbos all 8 to 4ghz, though it could be lower.

FX 8320 turbos one core to 3.7ghz and all 8 to 3.5ghz. So basically if you get it locked to all 8 cores @ 4.2ghz you're ahead of the 8350. However, both CPUs are pretty much identical. I didn't really believe it until recently when I started posting to this thread here at Overclockers UK.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18544198

And realised that pretty much all FX 8 core 83x0 can do 4.8ghz stable on a good board and 5-5.2ghz for brief periods (good for benching).

Uhh...I'm going to assume the stock cooler couldnt handle 4.2Ghz then?

Uhh...I'm going to assume the stock cooler couldnt handle 4.2Ghz then?

Not a snowball's chance in hell mate. Put it this way - the Corsair H60 can't even handle 4.2ghz. The FX CPUs don't get overly hot (85c and you'll throttle to all heck) but they get there FAST. It's down to what's going on under the hood, a lot, basically.

You'll want a high end cooling solution for any of them IMO. Corsair H70, H80, H100, H100i + 

that's the point. If you have no budget and you want the best that's what you have to pay. 8320 OCed to 4.5ghz will handle any today's games and it's $400+ cheaper.

compared in price 4770k is a bad choice. Why spend $300 when you can get 8320 for half the price? Yes 4770k is better, but not to the point I need to spend double the money.

yet your going to spend $75 more when the $199 8350 exceeds it in every way.

Intell will always be the leading company in CPU's. If you we're game design, or high end editing then I'd suggest a workstation build with SLI titian and 3990 6 core. It's a budget PC, so list the bank for buck not fanboy BS.

Call me what you want, but benchmarks/facts is clearly posted. Postman over and out.

We've actually had a chap in our 83x0 thread get results that were right up the ass of a 4770k with an 8320 :o

Fantastic chips.

We've actually had a chap in our 83x0 thread get results that were right up the ass of a 4770k with an 8320 :o

Fantastic chips.

wow. Yea it's amazing with the proper cooling, and OCing you can make AMD really shine. I've been a intell user for over 15 years, and just recently build a AMD rig. Love it. Intell will always make the better chip, but AMD can really make a damn good 2nd place.

wow. Yea it's amazing with the proper cooling, and OCing you can make AMD really shine. I've been a intell user for over 15 years, and just recently build a AMD rig. Love it. Intell will always make the better chip, but AMD can really make a damn good 2nd place.

When it comes to all out fun there's just no touching AMD now. The overclocking is an absolute riot. There's no hand holding.. Get a board like the CHVFZ and you could literally blow it sky high lmao. Intel absolutely robbed people when they decided to start charging for overclocking. Total BS. It goes against everything about enthusiast PCs.

We have a lot of Intel guys overclocking Piledrivers at the moment. The guy who has been really pushing his one hard has a 3930k or whatever they're called, but said he would take the AMD for overclocking every time.

When it comes to all out fun there's just no touching AMD now. The overclocking is an absolute riot. There's no hand holding.. Get a board like the CHVFZ and you could literally blow it sky high lmao. Intel absolutely robbed people when they decided to start charging for overclocking. Total BS. It goes against everything about enthusiast PCs.

We have a lot of Intel guys overclocking Piledrivers at the moment. The guy who has been really pushing his one hard has a 3930k or whatever they're called, but said he would take the AMD for overclocking every time.

Referring to the 6 core I'm assuming. $600 for a chip just to say it perform a little better. 9550 can perform well, but still isn't worth the money. After intell comes out with there LGA 2011i3 we will see what amd's next move will be. IMO 9550 will be under $500 by next year.

Not a snowball's chance in hell mate. Put it this way - the Corsair H60 can't even handle 4.2ghz. The FX CPUs don't get overly hot (85c and you'll throttle to all heck) but they get there FAST. It's down to what's going on under the hood, a lot, basically.

You'll want a high end cooling solution for any of them IMO. Corsair H70, H80, H100, H100i + 

The "i" series is better than standard, I think eventually when I feel like OC'ing I'll go with the H80i

Referring to the 6 core I'm assuming. $600 for a chip just to say it perform a little better. 9550 can perform well, but still isn't worth the money. After intell comes out with there LGA 2011i3 we will see what amd's next move will be. IMO 9550 will be under $500 by next year.

The 9590 is the same case as the 8350. There is generally no point in getting it because the lower version is A LOT cheaper and you can just OC higher than that CPU with the previous model, example the 8320 cannot OC higher than the 8350 but can get darn close. Same with the 9370 (I'm pretty sure thats the name) and the 9590. Just buy an 9370 and OC that. It has a 4.5Ghz base with a 4.7Ghz turbo. The 9590 is a 4.8Ghz base with a 5Ghz turbo. 

The "i" series is better than standard, I think eventually when I feel like OC'ing I'll go with the H80i

They're the same, other than the tubes and way the fans are controlled. The original non I has a manual fan controller on the pump. The I, IIRC, does it via software.

For cooling? there's about a 1c difference, given they're pretty much identical physically.