Should should an AMD GPU like r9 390x paired with a mid range Intel CPU or even with an AMD fx 9590 or 8350

Anir

AMD gcn architecture heavily rely on parallelism. That require huge amount of data to be pumped by the CPU, and since dx11 does not usually utilize more than two cores, I doubt CPU bottleneck is a major concern in case of AMD GPU than Nvdia GPU which execute more linearly. Moreover another concern that the AMD current gen flagship, fx9590 has physical 8 cores, unlike logical cores on Intel (hyperthreading), but the are kinda bottlenecked as two physical core share same cache, FPu ,fetcher, and scheduler. Will DX12 change the scenario ?

Nope, DX12 has slowed down some AMD cpu benches iirc. And the 9590 is literally the best tech example of wasted electricity. Its such a bad buy. Plus if you look at it more specifically its basically 4 hyper threaded cores in practice (acts similar not the same ik). Go Intel

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

not by much considering how far behind they are

a modern i5 can handle everything from 1080p 60FPS to 4k 60FPS if you give it enough GPU horsepower. 

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

5 minutes ago, Anir said:

I doubt CPU bottleneck is a major concern in case of AMD GPU than Nvdia GPU which execute more linearly.

AMD GPUs actually do bottleneck a cpu  earlier than a nvidia one (of equal performance)

As for cpus never go with am3 it's a waste of money as they don't perform remotely close to their price, and they perform worse in dx12 if anything not better

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

get a core i5.

The 8350 is running on a old platform that is about to get replaced.

The cpu usage of amd and nvidia is about the same

No the 9590/8350 don't have 8 logical cores, they  have 4 floating point unilts and 8 integer units. Windows/linux treats this like a 1:4:2(sockets:cores:threads) cpu.

DX12 won't make the 8350 much etter.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Nope, DX12 has slowed down some AMD cpu benches iirc. And the 9590 is literally the best tech example of wasted electricity. Its such a bad buy. Plus if you look at it more specifically its basically 4 hyper threaded cores in practice (acts similar not the same ik). Go Intel

Yes, its 8 physical core, but cinebench identifies it as a 4 core, 8 thread CPU. 

1 minute ago, Anir said:

Yes, its 8 physical core, but cinebench identifies it as a 4 core, 8 thread CPU. 

Because it basically is

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

AMD GPUs actually do bottleneck a cpu  earlier than a nvidia one

As for cpus never go with am3 it's a waste of money as they don't perform remotely close to their price, and they perform worse in dx12 if anything not better

May be zen will save amd empire from crumbling

Just now, Anir said:

Polaris already has, and if they somehow crumbled the american government would do something to save it

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Anir said:

Maybe, so long as they don't use frankenstein server chips again it will at least be a lost better than am3 (though that isn't too hard to do)

Either way we'll see in 2017

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Polaris already has, and if they somehow crumbled the american government would do something to save it

It seems like nvdia doesn't want to donate any of its market share to amd . they released gtx 1060 as an answer to rx480 8gb and then a cut down gtx 1060 3gb to counter Rx 480 4gb and Rx 470.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

No, polaris hasn't bailed them out yet, they still need a least a year of good finances before we can declare them out of the woods for now, they currently have 1 quarter of profits in the last couple years, they need to fill the coffers and without zen being decent they will likely be screwed by 2018 money wise

Just now, Anir said:

It seems like nvdia doesn't want to donate any of its market share to amd . they released gtx 1060 as an answer to rx480 8gb and then a cut down gtx 1060 3gb to counter Rx 480 4gb and Rx 470.

Companies cant have a monopoly so the government has to do something

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

No, polaris hasn't bailed them out yet, they still need a least a year of good finances before we can declare them out of the woods for now, they currently have 1 quarter of profits in the last couple years, they need to fill the coffers and without zen being decent they will likely be screwed by 2018 money wise

Hope Vega saves the day. Let's join the red rebellion. .....lol