GTX 1080: 8-Pin, 5+1 Power Phase vs.8+8-Pin, 10+2 Power Phase

Currently monitoring Canadian GTX 1080 prices and I have my eye on a specific EVGA model, part number 08G-P4-6181-KR (Product table for reference: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6181-KR)

The only thing that is putting me off is the Power Type and Power Phase specifications on the EVGA product table, it is inferior in terms of pin count and power phase, but I don't know how much this should affect my purchasing decision. It's my understanding that fewer pin count means that less power is available to support higher overclocks, and lower power phases can also limit the maximum achievable overclock since the power delivered is less "clean".

Is this something that should rightfully be putting me off pulling the trigger or should I wait for a better deal on another 1080 with better pins and power phases?

Thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

i wouldn't worry about that kind of stuff unless you are a serious GPU overclocker.

Even then the pascal chips have a hard limit independent of power, often times it's better to go reference PCB (at least currently)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

i wouldn't worry about that kind of stuff unless you are a serious GPU overclocker.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Even then the pascal chips have a hard limit independent of power, often times it's better to go reference PCB (at least currently)

Thank you for your quick and informative replies, really appreciate your guidance as I do my pre-purchasing research. I have heard that most of the GTX 10-series can achieve similar maximum overclocks, but didn't quite know whether it was dependent of power delivery.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

1 minute ago, Weird Face said:

Thank you for your quick and informative replies, really appreciate your guidance as I do my pre-purchasing research. I have heard that most of the GTX 10-series can achieve similar maximum overclocks, but didn't quite know whether it was dependent of power delivery.

At first when the Founders Edition came out, people speculated that the OCs were constrained by its power delivery, but when reviews for the really overkill power delivery showed the exact same overclock limits, the only reasons to choose a better Pascal card is for silence (in the case of EVGA, choose the cheapest with the ACX 3.0 cooler)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Are you going to be running LN2 or other exotic cooling to get the highest OC's? If not, you don't need the extra power delivery at all as all the 1080's OC the pretty much the same. The only benefit in my mind in going for something like the FTW or Classified is the larger air cooler that comes with the card. That means lower fan speeds and quieter running, and is the reason I bought my FTW.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Thanks for the additional replies, I definitely learned a lot from this one thread. Has power delivery for GPUs been always this irrelevant to the average overclocking (non-LN) user?