Rant time

This might get me banned but anyone else get the feeling that Linus has sold out to razor with the latest video. He glorifies the blade but never addresses all the problems you hear about here on the forum. Am I the only one? if so sorry

Criticizing Linus or any LMG member will not get you banned.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To me it just felt like a normal comparison, he pointed out some downsides to the Blade like less battery life than the Aero 14 but of course the Blade is better than the Aero but it is more expensive.  And he can't go into every single problem about a computer but didn't he make a review video of the Blade where he pointed out negatives?

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Yay freedom of speech!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

Yay freedom of speech!

But that doesn't mean "break the forum rules!" They still apply in every respect.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That latest video put the Areo 14 on the top of my list for the next laptop I buy. If anything his latest video talked me out of getting a Razer Blade now and in the future.

-KuJoe

His views on their own seem just a tad one sided. Is not until you read the overwhelming amounts of negative feedback about Razer than you realize "Oh...what the hell is going on here?"

The fact that he's buddy buddies with their CEO makes me immediately distrust his take on the products, but then again look at my nick: I am almost always immediately distrustful of everybody.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

That latest video put the Areo 14 on the top of my list for the next laptop I buy. If anything his latest video talked me out of getting a Razer Blade now and in the future.

I can somewhat agree with this, in that he presented the Areo 14 as a very compelling alternative for those who are a bit more budget conscious compared to the Blade 14.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I am almost always immediately distrustful of everybody.

And I wouldn't necessarily define that as a bad thing. Skepticism is a requirement nearly everywhere, maybe even with your own mother.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I can somewhat agree with this, in that he presented the Areo 14 as a very compelling alternative for those who are a bit more budget conscious compared to the Blade 14.

In the video he didn't point out anything that would justify the extra $600 for the Blade 14 for me. The Blade 14 did look nicer, but not $600 nicer.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

His views on their own seem just a tad one sided. Is not until you read the overwhelming amounts of negative feedback about Razer than you realize "Oh...what the hell is going on here?"

The fact that he's buddy buddies with their CEO makes me immediately distrust his take on the products, but then again look at my nick: I am almost always immediately distrustful of everybody.

Isn't the Razer Blade 14 Linus' primary laptop? If he's willing to use it daily and trust it with his business than that does say something IMO.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, Knaj said:

In that case...

I've wanted to post this for so long.

I'd say normally that while the points are valid it takes a long time to run all benchmarks and such...if it wasn't for the fact that they have like 10 fucking people working over there. Seriously maybe hire less editors and hire another slick to help instead? Or 2 or 3 of them? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I'd say normally that while the points are valid it takes a long time to run all benchmarks and such...if it wasn't for the fact that they have like 10 fucking people working over there. Seriously maybe hire less editors and hire another slick to help instead? Or 2 or 3 of them? 

What they really need are a few more multi-talented staff who can help Luke with the benches when needed, but then can handle other things or assist as more general labourers (In the sense that they have some skills in shooting, set building, lighting, editing, camera operating, benchmarking, pc building, etc).

The problem with simply hiring more people just to bench is, what are they gonna do during the often long stretches in between interesting product launches?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What they really need are a few more multi-talented staff who can help Luke with the benches when needed, but then can handle other things or assist as more general labourers (In the sense that they have some skills in shooting, set building, lighting, editing, camera operating, benchmarking, pc building, etc).

The problem with simply hiring more people just to bench is, what are they gonna do during the often long stretches in between interesting product launches?

1) Running benchmarks doesn't necessarily needs a full time employee: during busy seasons an intern working temporary can easily and gladly get paid to just run benchmarks all day

2) It was my impression that they always were looking for multi talented people but well that's kinda like asking for a "full stack developer". Everybody asks for someone really talented in everything from photoshop all the way to php and sql programming and maintaining servers. Yet most of the time nobody is willing to actually pay for such an employee: I suspect that reality is something Linus is familiar with at this point: a start up like him really can't afford a guru yet. Even most lightly multi talented people might be priced out of his range tbh.

3) This is a though one since this might just be because of the direction he wants to go with but there's plenty of things to try even during downtime: New games come out all of the time for example a performance guide for Deus Ex or No man's sky can easily be made. There's also many videos they just don't do as often anymore like let's try old hardware, let's try to use old cards on newer games, etc.

I think there's plenty to do for a "bencher" and "builder" even when there's no new hardware out but again I can't tell if this kinds of videos are less frequent due to lack of time or lack of interest: Linus often changes his mind about the overall direction of his business and that's valid of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) Running benchmarks doesn't necessarily needs a full time employee: during busy seasons an intern working temporary can easily and gladly get paid to just run benchmarks all day

2) It was my impression that they always were looking for multi talented people but well that's kinda like asking for a "full stack developer". Everybody asks for someone really talented in everything from photoshop all the way to php and sql programming and maintaining servers. Yet most of the time nobody is willing to actually pay for such an employee: I suspect that reality is something Linus is familiar with at this point: a start up like him really can't afford a guru yet. Even most lightly multi talented people might be priced out of his range tbh.

3) This is a though one since this might just be because of the direction he wants to go with but there's plenty of things to try even during downtime: New games come out all of the time for example a performance guide for Deus Ex or No man's sky can easily be made. There's also many videos they just don't do as often anymore like let's try old hardware, let's try to use old cards on newer games, etc.

I think there's plenty to do for a "bencher" and "builder" even when there's no new hardware out but again I can't tell if this kinds of videos are less frequent due to lack of time or lack of interest: Linus often changes his mind about the overall direction of his business and that's valid of course.

I actually agree with a lot of your points here. Well made.

I wasn't really even considering a part time seasonal worker, to be honest, but a part timer that permanently works there could easily act as Luke's assistant, and then work extra hours during product launches or outside of the school year (Assuming he'd be at least College level student or grad).

I'm glad we're all on the same page here and not a single white knight in denial is to be found (for now).

Why doesnt the sound work in the youtube video work in the thread post?

Works when I go to youtube.com. Is it just me?

7 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

But that doesn't mean "break the forum rules!" They still apply in every respect.

But...but... Muh FREEDUM

- snip-

And not to bang a dead horse again but the G5 review seriously sucked. He was talking like the 6s and S7 edge were one phone with no downsides at all.

- snip-

Personally I never really use the LTT benchmarks as more of a jumping off point

They have never really been a "drill into detail" channel without hour long chats and hundreds of benchmarks

I think for a quick "overview" of a product the benchmarks the provide are fine, but if you are wanting reliable, 100% tested, and in depth testing - this is not the place to look

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 hours ago, Jstone said:

This might get me banned but anyone else get the feeling that Linus has sold out to razor with the latest video. He glorifies the blade but never addresses all the problems you hear about here on the forum. Am I the only one? if so sorry

What just kind of irritated me was that he referred to the Aero 14 as a "poor man's Razer Blade" even though it still costs one thousand six hundred dollars.

And while we're at it, was anyone else disappointed with the Dan case review? I mean, it was all well and good, but no CPU/GPU temperature graphs for load and idle? Noise measurements? A thermal image, perhaps? I just felt they could have gone into a lot more depth with that one, a unique case deserves a unique review.

@nicklmg @CPotter could you bring this thread to Linus/Luke's attention? There are a lot of good points in this thread.

EDIT: Holy shit, 4000 posts on this forum.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Here's a different kind of constrain I honestly did not consider until right now: Time. Not as in the time it takes to do benchmarks and such, but the overall length of the video they're aiming for. Other than the Vive backpack video lately videos are fairly short (Even that one felt a bit rushed could have easily been a 3 parter) and if you look at OC3D and Tiny Tomlogan (or whatever he goes by) he really goes into a lot of depth, tons of charts, many benchmarks, etc. And his videos are usually at least 20 minutes long if not more like 30 or 40 minutes.

For whatever reason (Since youtubers usually prefer longer videos that give more overall viewtime vs short ones given the way the youtube algorytm works) they want to keep their videos fairly short. And considering they're doing about 40 seconds to a minute of sponsor integration stuff on a 5 minute video, it really leaves very little time to work in many needed details.

Maybe they're going for "as fast as possible" on both channels now who knows.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Gamessys said:

To me it just felt like a normal comparison, he pointed out some downsides to the Blade like less battery life than the Aero 14 but of course the Blade is better than the Aero but it is more expensive.  And he can't go into every single problem about a computer but didn't he make a review video of the Blade where he pointed out negatives?

I don't think I have seen a video where he has pointed out some of the big issues I have heard of on here such as over heating due to the aluminum case

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

thank you I don't wanna bash anyone just getting tired of everyone hoping on the razor band wagon