AMD Gains 4.8% Gpu Market Share In Q1 2016

Mr_Troll

They only got 1.8% market share :

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40708-amd-clawing-back-gpu-market-share

From mercury research 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Why would Apple, Intel fanboys, buy AMD?  After the IBM PPCs they moved onto Intel. xD 

AMD has a lot of graphics and cpu IP's . If apple bought AMD , it would allow them to design their own processors in-house , instead of relying on intel for their desktops and laptops .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, super_skank said:

18th of May that was published....

And both of the OP sources claim to be using THAT EXACT RESEARCH, so both of them were just wrong, and apparently can't read. Zmeul in this case is literally 100% on par.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Why would Apple, Intel fanboys, buy AMD?  After the IBM PPCs they moved onto Intel. xD 

Apple has been moving back to AMD products for the last 2 years because Intel refuses to underbid products just to keep Apple's buisness (just in the exact same manner all consoles are AMD, super low margins).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I only noticed Firepros at most, not AMD CPUs.

Well the cpu's are just way too inefficient ATM for use. I would expect that to change within the next year or so with Zen.

But basically all discrete gpu's in use in macs are AMD (like the mx295, the m390, etc etc). This is in stark contrast to the near 95%+ stranglehold Nvidia has on discrete mobile gpu's.

So my previous post should have read "Nvidia" instead of Intel, but I do expect Intel to follow suit shortly in being omitted from macs.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

24 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

They only got 1.8% market share :

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40708-amd-clawing-back-gpu-market-share

From mercury research 

In what category and what time frame because I see them losing market share overall, breaking even in discrete GPU market and getting a 1% gain in mobile market

(directly from mercury)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Any market share is good, but it needs to start rising significantly to earn them money they really need. Hopefully their new chips deliver.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm pretty sure this is actually Q2, not Q1, we're in Q3 now, and the Q1 report was published in Q2, as it always is. I remember seeing somewhere that this information is available to only industry affiliates' at the moment.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

I dunno where those people got their data, but AMD did not gain 4.8% market share in Q1 2016

here's the actual data from Mercury Research:

in fact, AMD and nVidia, both lost market share in favor of Intel

D58Sq32.png

someone is fudging the numbers

well according to the numbers you,ve posted which seem legit, in the discrete GPU they gained nothing and they gained 1% in the mobile market:

Capture.png

So i don't know where that 4.8% claim come from but it doesn't seem right at all.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I always get confused by these releases... could this be another case where they are speaking specifically of "market share" of new sales? As a percentage of the market of GPU's that were sold over such and such a period. With the big new GPU putsch both makers have had and supply issues it could be that AMD had a higher percentage of total sales.

6 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

I always get confused by these releases... could this be another case where they are speaking specifically of "market share" of new sales? As a percentage of the market of GPU's that were sold over such and such a period. With the big new GPU putsch both makers have had and supply issues it could be that AMD had a higher percentage of total sales.

Yes they generally mean market share of current sales (or in this case Q1 2016), otherwise it would be next to impossible to notice changes in the %s due to just how many chips were sold in the past

Though as it has been pointed out in this thread the article is BS, and they actual change was nothing in the nvidia AMD war for GPUs, a 1% increase on the amd side in mobile gpus, and a loss by both companies against intel overall cuz igpus are still so common

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

That HardOCP article is a work of art. If you don't go and look up the sources you will get pretty confused. Anyways they are using Mercury Research and John Peddie Research. They are reporting in on Q1 and commenting also on Q2 which makes you think the report is on Q2.

Anyways the 4.8% seems to be from JPR press release here: http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report/

That's great news for AMD. I just hope Vega can perform. 

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

They're at their highest over the past 4 years, at $7.62/sha (highest over the past 5 years was $8.2/sha in March 2012)

This is actually good news, even if it's less than 10% of their all time high (92.25/sha in 2000)

If Zen pans out in favor of AMD we could even see their share price skyrocket for the first time in... forever...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, zMeul said:

2.5% is still decent in the descrete market, though it sure as hell isn't no 4.8% no matter how they try to spin it

Just now, AresKrieger said:

2.5% is still decent in the descrete market, though it sure as hell isn't no 4.8% no matter how they try to spin it

furthermore, those are shipped units, not what they sold

but seeing how most of shops don't even have stocks, I'd say those numbers should reflect on actual sold units

maybe JPR has the actual sold units data

On 8/20/2016 at 8:36 PM, zMeul said:

I dunno where those people got their data, but AMD did not gain 4.8% market share in Q1 2016

here's the actual data from Mercury Research:

in fact, AMD and nVidia, both lost market share in favor of Intel

D58Sq32.png

someone is fudging the numbers

That is the data from february. The recent report indicates gains for AMD. 

http://www.mercuryresearch.com/graphics-pr-2016-q3.pdf

EDIT

Did not see your comment listing these, oops :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.