GlobalFoundries to skip 10nm and jump straight to 7nm

Coaxialgamer

Silicon fabrication company GlobalFoundries is reportedly planning to skip development of the 10 nanometer (nm) process, and is aiming to jump straight to 7 nm. The company currently operates a 14 nm FinFET node. In 2015 the company acquired semiconductor manufacturing assets from IBM, and is using them to fast-track its development. When it's ready, the 7 nm node will offer both optical and EUV (extreme ultra-violet) lithography. Driving the EUV product is an IBM 3300 EUV fabricator at the company's advanced patterning center, in its Albany, New York fab.

76a.jpg

Just stumbled across this article , thought it was interesting . It's quite short though .I don't know when Gloflo plans to be ready with the process , but at least they seem to be advancing ...

https://www.techpowerup.com/225095/globalfoundries-to-skip-10-nm-and-jump-straight-to-7-nm  ( source ) 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

huh cant remember if any of the major manufacturers were planning something on the 10nm node, if not then sure why not but if they were GF are going to loose some market tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

good luck, even Intel and IBM are having a hard time with 7nm

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Very cool, however will the smaller node size equate to faster and better architecture and power usage now?

Aren't Intel on 10nm? At least, I think they've just partnered with ARM and others to make more use of their 10nm fab?

I'm surprised GloFo is going to 7nm - I thought there were problems which meant it wasn't going to happen for another 18 months...?

1 minute ago, Flibblebot said:

Aren't Intel on 10nm? At least, I think they've partnered with ARM and others to make use of their 10nm fab?

Their 10nm process won't be ready until late 2017. Intel's deal with arm and arm licensees only apply when the process is ready

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I thought the state of EUV was "almost, but not quite".

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Just now, juretrn said:

I thought the state of EUV was "almost, but not quite".

This will still take years before it is deployed 

I wonder what will we use to get to 1nm,7nm is supposed to be released in 2018,they really wanna speed up the process of reaching Quantum Tunneling 

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

GlobalFoundries acquired assets from IBM to make this a realistic proposition.

even then my point still stands both IBM and Intel are having a hard time getting to 7nm, even with IBM's assets its still going to be hard, iirc IBM has only been able to get a half chip(I think it a half chip or what ever they're called) so far, I don't see 7nm being ready for another 2-4 years

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

5 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

I wonder what will we use to get to 1nm,7nm is supposed to be released in 2018,they really wanna speed up the process of reaching Quantum Tunneling 

We will never get to 1nm,  at least not on silicon.  Silicon is expected to go down to 5-7nm max.  And since dennard scaling has broken down,  smaller sizes won't necessarily mean better power.  Plus,  the time and resources needed to design a chip with that process would be enormous.  Last time i checked,  a moderately complex chip took about 70M dollars and 20 man years ( divide that by the number of engineers on the job),  while a 14nm finfet chip of similar complexity costs ~250M dollars and takes around 500 man years. 

Just now, Nicholatian said:

You chalk Intel and IBM up quite a bit, don’t you? They’re not perfect, and they have their weak points.

I don’t think GF would make this move if they weren’t planning to have 7nm ready to coincide with Intel’s 10nm or shortly thereafter.

well yeah they do have weakness's but they do have really skilled engineer's and the money to work on it

Spoiler

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

We will never get to 1nm,  at least not on silicon.  Silicon is expected to go down to 5-7nm max.  And since dennard scaling has broken down,  smaller sizes won't necessarily mean better power

We know that already,at 5nm its Quantum Tunneling which is used for Quantum Computers,and Quantum computers can't replace normal ones

Just now, Nicholatian said:

T R I G G E R E D

man years? man years!? man years!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????? How dare you degrade women around the world with such a patriarchic label!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

In all seriousness though,  it's man as in human 

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

We know that already,at 5nm its Quantum Tunneling which is used for Quantum Computers,and Quantum computers can't replace normal ones

LOL let's not talk about quantum effects if we don't know the qm...

Quantum tunneling is an issue for silicon even at 14nm, and is one of the biggest reasons Denard scaling has broken down. Additionally quantum computers rely on qubits, that is the primary difference.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

LOL let's not talk about quantum effects if we don't know the qm...

Quantum tunneling is an issue for silicon even at 14nm, and is one of the biggest reasons Denard scaling has broken down. Additionally quantum computers rely on qubits, that is the primary difference.

Quantum Computers can't be used for as normal ones as they offer allot of disadvantages,there BIG advantage is for cracking/solving really hard encryption's such as RSA4096

Let's all be reasonable here and call them slave hours.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

We're running out of nm's :D
As far as silicon being pushed I wonder what will be the last node, at what size and how long are going to stay on it until something entirely new comes. Like new material, 3D built CPUs and such. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

We're running out of nm's :D
As far as silicon being pushed I wonder what will be the last node, at what size and how long are going to stay on it until something entirely new comes. Like new material, 3D built CPUs and such. 

Your right,we should go to pm or even better ym

18 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Yes, but quantum tunneling can be used to improve things reducing power consumption and latency of transistors. \o/ 
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7006647

In ideal cases sure.... but in the mean time almost any time you hear "electron leakage" or " bit rot" these aresults quanta effects that get exponentially worse with decreased pitch.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Their 10nm process won't be ready until late 2017. Intel's deal with arm and arm licensees only apply when the process is ready

I would say that they want to use those very small ARM chips as a meat shield to make the process moving with good yields instead doing it the hard way with their own bigger chips first.

14 minutes ago, riklaunim said:

I would say that they want to use those very small ARM chips as a meat shield to make the process moving with good yields instead doing it the hard way with their own bigger chips first.

That's not exactly how it works.  Bigger chips yield differently than small chip,  and process maturity doesn't necessarily get better by running a lot of chips through it. 

They will likely have more defects at start of the new process than when they will get used to it and know it better.