What is your hardware quirk?

TheHogSmasher

My motherboard's back USB 3 ports are very particular.  Only some USB devices it will read (though it does provide power).  Also, Windows 10 hates my 16GB USB 3.0 drive.  Always saying I have to format it, but partitioning it with only 200MB usuable (but all 16GB are read and usable in OS X)

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 8/16/2016 at 0:15 AM, gamerking said:

if i reboot my system a few times in a few mins it pukes oc unstable .have to pull power to make it boot then =(

I have a similar problem with an old LGA775 Asus motherboard, it will give me an "OC failed" message if I unplug it from the wall, restating it with the message on the screen "fixes it".

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1. My PC will only hibernate from Linux. If I try to hibernate in Windows, it starts back up 5 mins later, but into Linux because it is the default OS
  2. You know how I said Linux is my main OS? I can't even change that if I wanted to. The drive that contains Windows doesn't show up in the BIOS (but it does show up in the F12 boot selection screen)
  3. Windows likes to delete my PS/2 drivers about once a week (which doesn't matter anymore because the PS/2 port broke)
  4. My front panel USB likes to disconnect itself once in a while
  5. Using the touchpad on my laptop would activate Cortana all the time (long story short, it doesn't run WIndows anymore)

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

If I OC my GPU, doesn't matter how much, windows likes to corrupt the drivers after I restart it a few times.

Despite running stable if I don't shut my PC off, for days, while gaming ECT.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I used to  have a cm storm quickfire rapid i, and it liked to disconnect randomly in windows, and make me unplug it and plug it back in when I'm rebooting my pc just to get to the BIOS.

my keyboard has one led that randoml;y comes on and goes off , for the i key. im too lazy to rma my keyboard so i just deal with it lol 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

In order for my phone to charge, I need to have constant pressure on the cable pushing it in, or it will disconnect - the connector doesn't properly lock anymore.

This can also make it a hassle whenever I want to transfer files from my phone to my PC, but my NAS helps keep that to a minimum.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, steezemageeze said:
  1. My PC will only hibernate from Linux. If I try to hibernate in Windows, it starts back up 5 mins later, but into Linux because it is the default OS
  2. You know how I said Linux is my main OS? I can't even change that if I wanted to. The drive that contains Windows doesn't show up in the BIOS (but it does show up in the F12 boot selection screen)
  3. Windows likes to delete my PS/2 drivers about once a week (which doesn't matter anymore because the PS/2 port broke)
  4. My front panel USB likes to disconnect itself once in a while
  5. Using the touchpad on my laptop would activate Cortana all the time (long story short, it doesn't run WIndows anymore)

The Hibernate then Windows one is... confusing.

My monitor doesn't awake from sleep. And there's no setting to change it. And it did when it just got it.

Remember to drink water!

My Current PC: any new Monitor will flicker a few times when I plug it into my computer for the first time,

GTA V also seems to cause frequent memory errors and crash my PC :(

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

My sound card is killing my ears with a screeching from hell in my headphones sometimes, because Windows's audio stack is garbage. Does that count?
That's my only real "quirk" with my PC really, everything else works as intended.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

My Current PC: any new Monitor will flicker a few times when I plug it into my computer for the first time,

GTA V also seems to cause frequent memory errors and crash my PC :(

Looking at the specs of your profile, your CPU may be an issue for GTA V, I could technically run GTA V on my A6-3650 APU, but the world wouldn't load and made any other program on my PC not usable, border line crashing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

On 8/16/2016 at 0:15 AM, Gravemind said:

After a fresh windows install, one of the USB hubs on my laptop will only supply power. Not a big deal when there are 4 others, and it still charges at least.

Likely just a missing driver then, that happened to me with my laptop as well, finding and installing the right driver fixed it.

For me, one of my monitors will turn off and back on if I hit my desk a certain way.

My laptop also doesn't understand how to properly restart windows (7 ultimate 64bit), so I have to shut it down then power it on manually if I want to restart it, otherwise it just hangs at a black screen between the windows 7 shutting down screen and the bios .-.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Looking at the specs of your profile, your CPU may be an issue for GTA V, I could technically run GTA V on my A6-3650 APU, but the world wouldn't load and made any other program on my PC not usable, border line crashing.

I used to be able to, but I seem to be experiencing premature degradation of my processor, I cant even do a 0.05 Ghz overclock without my PC becoming unstable now (No burn marks on my mobo, btw. Memtest passes as well)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

8 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I used to be able to, but I seem to be experiencing premature degradation of my processor, I cant even do a 0.05 Ghz overclock without my PC becoming unstable now (No burn marks on my mobo, btw. Memtest passes as well)

LOL, Sorry but same happened to me. It worked fine for a few months, and one day I couldn't play it unless I closed every other program

14 hours ago, TheHogSmasher said:

The Hibernate then Windows one is... confusing.

I'm thinking it's some power setting that I missed somewhere, but I've already been through all the possibilities. I'm going to be reinstalling soon when I get an SSD, so I'm interested to see if it persists or not.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

I have 2 case fans that refuse to start spinning on their own on the lowest speed.

Giving them a poke to get them going is enough to fix it until i shut my system down again :P

Or Bump up the speed a bit so the motor gets enough power to get it going.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

15 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I have 2 case fans that refuse to start spinning on their own on the lowest speed.

Giving them a poke to get them going is enough to fix it until i shut my system down again :P

Or Bump up the speed a bit so the motor gets enough power to get it going.

seems to me it's a code 18 related problem. :)

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

seems to me it's a code 18 related problem. :)

What's that? :D

The fans are connected via molex and have individual speed controllers, they are case fans btw :D

Antec 1200 is the case they came with.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

What's that? :D

The fans are connected via molex and have individual speed controllers, they are case fans btw :D

Antec 1200 is the case they came with.

code 18 = the problem is 18 inches away from the screen! xD (feel free to use it whenever you want, sounds serious and all when it's really nothing! xD )

Simple solution would be to have the speed controller a little higher so that the fans are always spinning! :D

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

code 18 = the problem is 18 inches away from the screen! xD (feel free to use it whenever you want, sounds serious and all when it's really nothing! xD )

Simple solution would be to have the speed controller a little higher so that the fans are always spinning! :D

True, but that makes them louder and i don't want that :D

Code 18 reminds me of magic smoke in electronics and rubber duck debugging :P

The pump/res combo of my custom water loop isn't actually fastened in any way. It's just squished inbetween the intake rad and the PSU :P

20160728_191143.jpg

How the hell this is watertight i have no idea.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:33 AM, Andrew657nz said:

When I turn off my computer sometimes my PC will switch back on again through a mind of its own??

Three things that can cause it

1. Wake on Lan -Disable in Bios

2. ErP -Change to opposite of default settings in bios

3. Intel Smart Connect -disable in bios or uninstall its drivers and applications

Back on topic

My old Sony DVD writer has problems reading and writing to its own branded disc. Others works fine, just not its own.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

My front panel audio is infinitely better than my motherboard audio, even with my amp. For now I just have to deal with ugly audio cables coming from the front of my case.

right none of my cases front usb or audio ports work at all ... this is annoying af 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky