when will ssd's become affordable?

Err...? What? @-@ It's like 1US$/GB?

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

When they're no longer the fastest storage technology available.

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

Affordable is subjective.

You're going to have to be more specific I'm afraid.

In my opinion, SSD's are already affordable. I think they're pretty inexpensive for how much of a performance improvement you get over a mechanical drive.

How cheap do you want them to be?

That question is relative. They are becoming cheaper as the demand for them grows and manufacturers achieve better economies of scale. As for their current price, if your goal is to put your operating system on them then its fairly affordable, if you want to have 10 TB of storage then not so affordable. Its a less of a price to storage volume issue than a price to performance issue.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

It was like 10GB HDD in the past for like >$100... and SSD are like 1$/GB now bro.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

never if you want to replace all your HDDs. If you want to use one as a boot drive and have a spinning disc as a storage drive then they are are already affordable.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

You can get a decent SSD for around £0.60/GB which is pretty damn affordable.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

He probably means in comparison to hard drives.  $100 buys you a 120GB SSD if there is a good sale going, or 1000GB hard drive with some cash leftover.  Quite a gap still.  So, when will SSD prices drop enough so that mass storage with SSDs is reasonable to most consumers?

Basically it's just about scaling the manufacturing... hard drive companies like Seagate and WD have been around for ages, and hard drives are practically the only thing they do.  They already have enormous production capability and all their factories are already built.  Whereas, flash memory is not as developed of an industry, so the billions of dollars worth of advanced fabs and plants are still being paid for.  In addition since it's a newer technology, its still in development as manufacturers continue to improve it and research ways to deal with the inherent problems it does have.  And every time they make a breakthrough, it costs more millions to upgrade all their factories, change their fab techniques, etc... Basically, flash production hasn't quite "settled in" yet.  As for how long that will take, I don't know... not anytime soon.  It will probably be quite a while before they become near the level of hard drives if ever, although if NAND is replaced by more advanced technologies that are being looked into, like PCM or RRAM, those devices of course will start at high prices, but once they fall to a semi-affordable level then NAND SSDs will probably become very cheap for a period, before they are discontinued completely.  Just my predictions though.

living with a slow 160gb. yes you heard it! 160gb hdd is painfull. my system is not balanced at all

4.2GHZ VALIDATIONGALLERYMost expensive software you own (clicky thread)

Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHZ @3.3ghz(4C),Asus P7H55/USB3,Antec TP550 80+bronze,Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC@955/2120 1050MV,windows 3.1,8GB DDR3 1333MHZ @~1450mhz,,500gb hdd, 160gb 

with 3d flash memory. than it will be much cheaper after a while.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

with 3d flash memory. than it will be much cheaper after a while.

They are gonna have to recoup their RD costs first.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I think they already are. If you compare them to 5200-HDDs, you'll have to wait a while. But IMO SSDs are not meant to be a complete replacement, especially when it comes to 4TB of storage, just for the purpose of storage. Even the architecture sais so. 

She was the key to my darkest heart. Holding hands with the seekers of the path. A forced face from the lingering hate. A fake grace for the closing eyes in the crowd

She was the weakest in the world of liars. Maybe the only one left that was telling the whole truth. Waiting for that moment again in this misplaced childhood. Ready to faint she will accept it, clutching at the tears in her mind

In The Failing Hour

Theyre pretty affordable. You can get a 120gig ssd for 100 dollars. Thats less than 1usd per gigabyte.

Yes, they're still too expensive no matter how many people own one or two they are still too high a price component. If you have no data then yea a couple SSD's is great, but if you have anywhere in the range of a terabyte (TB) then you need to go to a traditional spinning HD, mainly because its the best economical choice.

Don't expect them to get any cheaper for a couple years, it will take another super storm to take HD production out or limit it to the extent that people have to buy SSD's.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

The cost of ssd's will drop when the cost of supply is cheap enough that it slightly outpaces demand,  When manufactures are still making money but are oversupplying, that's when they will drop the price and try to avoid having too much stock (stock costs money). I say this because I can see this happening before technology provides us a with a more accessible option in the short term.  I can't see optical roms on the consumer market for at least another 5 years, and unless the capacity of ssd's increases 10x in the next 2 years I can't see disc based storage being dropped by the industry anytime soon.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

By the time you finish reading this post.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads