Opinion of the Model M keyboard?

MoonKnightSpidey

I found one in the library, on the bottom shelf of a closet, I asked the librarian and now I own a Model M. I have had it for a few months now, and it has been on and off my daily driver. I like the sound, but that is the only redeeming quality. It is PS/2, and heavy as hell. Although it seems to let me hold down many keys at once, I am confused about what 'rollover' this has.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

The model M is supposed to have a 2 key rollover,  so if you press 3 keys at the same time it may not register them.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

1 hour ago, Sors said:

The model M is supposed to have a 2 key rollover,  so if you press 3 keys at the same time it may not register them.

It seems to register them every time I press 3 at once, according to the microsoft ghosting tester. 

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

I guess if you're like me and tend to mash the shit out of your keyboard keys when you type then it's probably a nice choice. I owned a MX Red mechanical keyboard and always accidentally hit keys, I returned it 2 days later.

They use buckling spring switches, which you will not find on a modern keyboard.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I think it's a terrible keyboard and people who are paying good money for it must be clouded by nostalgia or something. I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now.

58 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

I think it's a terrible keyboard and people who are paying good money for it must be clouded by nostalgia or something. I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now.

I wasn't alive in the '90s and I enjoy it overall. Definitely not a nostalgia thing.

8 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

A Model M keyboard would pretty much last you through your entire life they are that durable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

A Model M keyboard would pretty much last you through your entire life they are that durable.

Wouldn't literally any quality keyboard last you a lifetime? Kind of hard to break a keyboard, unless you're really rough with it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Wouldn't literally any quality keyboard last you a lifetime? Kind of hard to break a keyboard, unless you're really rough with it.

Not really, most of the razer and logitech keyboards I have used are flimsy and keycaps break etc. Unless you get a custom board or a pok3r it will break in the next 10 years I suppose

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Nope. When you compare the switches on the Model M to any other mechanical keyboard switch (and indeed the actual build quality) you'll understand why.

PMSL

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The aren't though. They're dust magnets (and in a spring, getting something stuck in there can cause permanent damage). I've had membrane keyboards last 20 years with nothing but cleaning. No Model M keyboards I've had retain the way they feel for longer than a few years. They become downright unbearable to use, not that I like typing with them to start. I remember when I switched from a Model M to Microsoft Membrane keyboard - was a notable day in my life.

They are fantastic for increasing in value though. I had so many of them - most of them sealed - and sold most of them last year for several thousand dollars. 

58 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

The aren't though. They're dust magnets (and in a spring, getting something stuck in there can cause permanent damage). I've had membrane keyboards last 20 years with nothing but cleaning. No Model M keyboards I've had retain the way they feel for longer than a few years. They become downright unbearable to use, not that I like typing with them to start. I remember when I switched from a Model M to Microsoft Membrane keyboard - was a notable day in my life.

They are fantastic for increasing in value though. I had so many of them and sold most of them last year for several thousand dollars. 

Could you describe why you hate them so much. I like the feedback and it has a nice click and ting that you can't get with any other switch. I like the look of them too, no fanciness, just a keyboard. and if a piece of electronic technology can last 30 years without breaking, used every day, it is pretty tough imo

31 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

They are fantastic for increasing in value though. I had so many of them - most of them sealed - and sold most of them last year for several thousand dollars. 

Membrane keyboards-feel like shit after using any mechanical keyboard. I should know-I've still got the KTX keyboard with its AT plug that was used with my 286, 386, 486 and finally Super Socket 7 motherboards, and then after I got an adapter my Celeron 300A and Pentium III 667EB rigs. It may feel the same as when it was new (and better than any new rubber dome/membrane keyboard), but it doesn't beat an Model M or my current Dragonwar Atomoz.

PMSL

59 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Membrane keyboards-feel like shit after using any mechanical keyboard. I should know-I've still got the KTK keyboard with its AT plug that was used with my 286, 386, 486 and finally Super Socket 7 motherboards, and then after I got an adapter my Celeron 300A and Pentium III 667EB rigs. It may feel the same as when it was new (and better than any new rubber dome/membrane keyboard), but it doesn't beat an Model M or my current Dragonwar Atomoz.

ktk?

I love my model M. Nice and clickey, and feels nice. PLus you can kill somone with it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The model m keyboards are alright. I used to have a real one but overtime several of the springs broke so I got one of the unicomp slim keyboards (Same company that made the model m and still continues its legacy. Makes copies of them now with the same designs). 

They're a novelty though. I type way faster on blue switches. Buckling spring keyboards are very fatiguing after a long period of typing. 

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Membrane keyboards-feel like shit after using any mechanical keyboard. I should know-I've still got the KTK keyboard with its AT plug that was used with my 286, 386, 486 and finally Super Socket 7 motherboards, and then after I got an adapter my Celeron 300A and Pentium III 667EB rigs. It may feel the same as when it was new (and better than any new rubber dome/membrane keyboard), but it doesn't beat an Model M or my current Dragonwar Atomoz.

I disagree. I have a unicomp, Blackwidow Chroma, Corsair k70, and Blackwidow Stealth so I have pretty much the full gamut of mechanical switches. Most membrane keyboards are shit but some of the nicer ones are just as good to me as red or brown switches. Some of the Lenovo membrane keyboards are fantastic. They're also extremely easy on the fingers. I type ~150-180wpm, so even blues fatigue my fingers over a long period of time. 

25 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

Could you describe why you hate them so much. I like the feedback and it has a nice click and ting that you can't get with any other switch. I like the look of them too, no fanciness, just a keyboard. and if a piece of electronic technology can last 30 years without breaking, used every day, it is pretty tough imo

1. For the reasons I outlined above. Mine would almost universally become clogged with dust and the springs would get damaged. The tactile feedback is never equal across keys, and my typing accuracy would drop dramatically and speed would too if I didn't want sore hands. Plus that terrible 90s beige.

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I've never used a KTK and modern mechanical keyboards are excellent, far far far superior to dome keyboards and both my WASD keyboard and Das Keyboard blow most keyboards I've used out of the water. But I think buckling spring is the worst feeling switch type I've ever used. I prefer the typewriter I learned on.

15 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

ktk?

*KTX

PMSL